Suggest a bike

Guest Steveace1

Guest Steveace1

Im looking for some sound advice please.

Im wanting to get a MTB bike.

Im 6ft1. 120kgs. Probably never going too do more than 20km to 40km.

Definitly a weekend warrior.

Normal 10km, 20km race riding. Nothing fancy.

Ive been looking at hardtails for budgets reasons (budget around 10grand).

Lots of nice specials and deals on 26" bikes. Not so much 29" (understandable).

Ive been fitted on a large Titan frame so i spose im around a large x-large size.

Would preferably like a 29er but dont know if i could ride a decent make 26er.

For example one can get a 26 inch GT Full carbon xl frame bike with sweet components for 9500. Thats a good deal but then its 26". Dont know if it will hold me up?

Currently ride a cheap large 26" Dimamondback which has served me very well.

It looks like a kids bike under me and obviously takes a bit of work to keep going over a 29er which i would assume would be easier to ride.

Just the deals on 26er are really really good. Can get a lot for your money.

Im not looking for wheel comparisons but i am looking for decent advice on suitable bikes maybe from guys out there who own shops or were in the same boat as me at one time.

Let the good ideas flow!!

At over 6ft I would say don't even consider a 26er. You get great deals on 26inch bikes as there is little demand for large sizes, this will become a problem when you want to sell it again. At this stage you may think you will only ever be a weekend warrior but just take note that MTB is addictive and once the bug bites you will be looking around to upgrade your equipment and do longer rides. You can get good 29er HT bikes for your budget, I would start by looking at Momsen (great value). There are some great bike shops around, all full of advise. Go chat to Duane at Concept or Leigh's in the Pav

I am also 6ft and about 100Kg (trying to get rid of some), and I recently got a Silverback Sola 1, it probably out of your price range at around R15 000, but Silverback also do a Sola 2 & 3 which are very well priced.

Of all the brands that I investigated when buying my 29er, Momsem & Silverback were definitely the best priced for the equipment they come with.

One word of advice, at 120Kg, you are going to need a strong set of wheels, so that may be one of the first things you look at upgrading.

Thats for when the "upgradetitus" sets in, and trust me it will :drool:

I'd also put a vote in for the Silverbacks, great bikes with some great features at a great price, I've owned 2. As for 29er vs 26er. I'm 6'3" and I rode a 26" hardtail, 26" dual and now a 29er. The biggest reason for switching to a 29er was that I wanted a higher specced bike and they make a lot of sense up in JHB where it's flatter.

If you have hills that side or if you're regular riding includes lots of singletrack, try out a Dual 26" or one of the 27.5 options. No reason not too. Follow Ians advice, go chat to some bike shops and ride some demo bikes, see what feels right. Also, a lot of guys are going to recommend XL frames. DO NOT take that as gospel. In the newer silverbacks I feel much more comfortable on a Large, see how it feels to you. I hate feeling stretched on a bike.

Im looking for some sound advice please.

Im wanting to get a MTB bike.

Im 6ft1. 120kgs. Probably never going too do more than 20km to 40km.

Definitly a weekend warrior.

Normal 10km, 20km race riding. Nothing fancy.

Ive been looking at hardtails for budgets reasons (budget around 10grand).

Lots of nice specials and deals on 26" bikes. Not so much 29" (understandable).

Ive been fitted on a large Titan frame so i spose im around a large x-large size.

Would preferably like a 29er but dont know if i could ride a decent make 26er.

For example one can get a 26 inch GT Full carbon xl frame bike with sweet components for 9500. Thats a good deal but then its 26". Dont know if it will hold me up?

Currently ride a cheap large 26" Dimamondback which has served me very well.

It looks like a kids bike under me and obviously takes a bit of work to keep going over a 29er which i would assume would be easier to ride.

Just the deals on 26er are really really good. Can get a lot for your money.

Im not looking for wheel comparisons but i am looking for decent advice on suitable bikes maybe from guys out there who own shops or were in the same boat as me at one time.

Let the good ideas flow!!

A mate of mine is selling his Scott Scale 960 29er Large frame in your price range, PM me if interested.

Get a Silverback Sola or a Momsen AL229.

Done and dusted, solid bikes and last until the bug hits properly.

Get a Silverback Sola or a Momsen AL229.

Done and dusted, solid bikes and last until the bug hits properly.

I had to chose between the the AL229 and the Sola 3. went with the Sola 3 and loving it!

I had to chose between the the AL229 and the Sola 3. went with the Sola 3 and loving it!

Got the Sola 3 too and have had 100's km's problem free. Sola 3 on special for about R8000 now good value. Momsen also great bikes you can't go wrong with either.