Online Racing - Virtualtraining (Cyclops)

Garfield2010

correct for the cycleops trainer but we running a special on the Jet Fluid Pro, ANT+ speed/cadence sensor, ANT+ USB stick for Android tablet and PC and 6 month free sub to the software for only R4995.00 and we will include free delivery!!

Why get the powerbeam pro for over R10k if you can get this one for R5k ?

and can you use bluetooth and iPad with Jet fluid pro ?

Which one do i buy?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which one do i buy?

One word

powerbeam is ergo...the other one isn't

Which one do i buy?

PowerBeam measures Power and is accurate to within +/- 5% and offers controlled resistance i.e. makes it harder when going up hill etc

Jet Fluid Pro is a basic A frame trainer than can give you a good indicator of Power when sync'ed with the software but does not have controlled resistance so you will need to use your gears to increase resistance and ride faster

Which one do i buy?

yes you can buy a Jet Fluid trainer (R4495) plus a BLE speed/cadence sensor (R745) and sync up to your iPad 3 or up but then you will need to buy the software for your iPad (from US $6/mth)

yes you can buy a Jet Fluid trainer (R4495) plus a BLE speed/cadence sensor (R745) and sync up to your iPad 3 or up but then you will need to buy the software for your iPad (from US $6/mth)

Thanks all!

If i get the Powerbeam Pro with bluetooth is it also US$ 6 a month for the software

It does...there are a few factors that could influence both sides of the equation...aero / drafting / weight / pedal stroke deadspot / heat / no downhills ie you have to pedal on the downs /

It is fair and equal though ito racing each other....to a degree....since weight isn't taken into consideration. The person with the best FTP will normally win an online race...but in the real world it might not be the same person since its Watts / kg that counts there.

Fair enough. However I do foresee in the future that you will be able to adjust wind and bike settings and it having a real time effect. I mean if I wanna ride a certain route in a certain time to prepare for it in real life then I would expect to go the correct speed on the IDT as well. I don't wanna ride the 94.7 route in 4 hours and then hopefully I will do it in 3 hours on race day.

Thanks all!

If i get the Powerbeam Pro with bluetooth is it also US$ 6 a month for the software

Well yes and no....for the tablet version yes 6 dead president a month on a subscription basis. But you can also get the phone virtual training app that turns your phone into headunit essentially...displaying all your metrics and that is free...mahala. Now obviously it doesnt have the same rich functionality as the tablet version but to be honest I use it from time to time when I just want to see and capture metrics to upload to the cloud(virtual training site / strava / trainingpeaks)...it does this perfectly.

Then because its also subscription base you can lapse at any time when you feel its no longer working for you and go to lets say....trainerroad. Unlike other manufacturers that lock you into their software

Bottomline its gives you loads of flexibility.

Also this is directly from their website.........."When riding a virtual route, the speed that is displayed is not the speed of your actual wheel. Instead, it is a virtual speed calculated from your current power, the virtual slope of the route, rolling resistance, wind resistance, and the total weight of the rider and bike. The virtual speed is used to simulate the speed you would be riding on the virtual route given your current power. Since power measures your effort, it is the best way to ensure accurate virtual speed and fair racing."

It does...there are a few factors that could influence both sides of the equation...aero / drafting / weight / pedal stroke deadspot / heat / no downhills ie you have to pedal on the downs /

It is fair and equal though ito racing each other....to a degree....since weight isn't taken into consideration. The person with the best FTP will normally win an online race...but in the real world it might not be the same person since its Watts / kg that counts there.

I would think they use the combined weight of you and the bike to calculate your speed using the power reading when their is a positive gradient. Perhaps ride a short route, change your weight setting to 50kg and repeat to compare the times.

But Garfield unfortunately there is no "I'm a wheel sucker, add some speed" setting in your profile :)

I can't wait to join you guys but at the moment it's non stop work for me.

Fair enough. However I do foresee in the future that you will be able to adjust wind and bike settings and it having a real time effect. I mean if I wanna ride a certain route in a certain time to prepare for it in real life then I would expect to go the correct speed on the IDT as well. I don't wanna ride the 94.7 route in 4 hours and then hopefully I will do it in 3 hours on race day.

Well the computrainer has that functionality...wind resistance that is...but to be honest it will never be real life. You need to go ride your bike outdoors to get all the variables at play....it will be impossible for any computer to simulate this...well maybe not never, but not in our lifetime me thinks.

All trainers remove these variables by providing a measurement of the only thing that counts...Watts. Trainers that claim they can simulate a race to exactly the variables in real life are telling porkies

I would think they use the combined weight of you and the bike to calculate your speed using the power reading when their is a positive gradient. Perhaps ride a short route, change your weight setting to 50kg and repeat to compare the times.

But Garfield unfortunately there is no "I'm a wheel sucker, add some speed" setting in your profile :)

I can't wait to join you guys but at the moment it's non stop work for me.

In your profile you do input your weight and your bike's weight...in my case me = 78kg and bike(spez allez 2012 stock standard) = 9kg. So my weight numbers are exactly what they are in real life, but I doubt they use this to determine speed cause guys can lie through their teeths. I actually prefer that they dont take it into account when determining speed.

Maybe Dave can confirm my above theory that the software doesnt use any weight in speed calcs

In your profile you do input your weight and your bike's weight...in my case me = 78kg and bike(spez allez 2012 stock standard) = 9kg. So my weight numbers are exactly what they are in real life, but I doubt they use this to determine speed cause guys can lie through their teeths. I actually prefer that they dont take it into account when determining speed.

Maybe Dave can confirm my above theory that the software doesnt use any weight in speed calcs

I'm quite sure they will use your weight to convert your power to speed. To verify just change your weight to 50kg for the next race, you can always claim it was a new gel you tried.

What would be nice is if you could upload a garmin file and assuming no wind or drafting get an estimated power file corresponding to the same route.

i will need to ask as this is top secret, give me some time to get back on this one.

I'm quite sure they will use your weight to convert your power to speed. To verify just change your weight to 50kg for the next race, you can always claim it was a new gel you tried.

What would be nice is if you could upload a garmin file and assuming no wind or drafting get an estimated power file corresponding to the same route.

Sneaky russian move.... I like :ph34r:

Archived