@bicycleasshole and @wattagenitro

fandacious

I get how the original tweet can be construed as an attack/defamatory, will be a tough one to try and fight legally I reckon, but, the response from Els and co, is the most damning and adds fuel to the fire. Surely educated people should know that knee jerk reactions like what they have done, only makes you "look" more guilty, and also stupid.I would love to know who @bicycleasshole is, would love buy him a pint or two...

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time sure, the second sure, the 6th, the 200th? Every time you bought a new car/changed jobs?

Eventually something would snap.

Thats hardly a similar situation. But ok, assuming it is, I would have the option of not becoming aggro but being proactive instead. Are the people in question on Adams? If not, why not? Thats what I would tweet in response instead of getting defensive.

Thats hardly a similar situation. But ok, assuming it is, I would have the option of not becoming aggro but being proactive instead. Are the people in question on Adams? If not, why not? Thats what I would tweet in response instead of getting defensive.

I think it's an identical situation - it's random people who are armed with media reports questioning your integrity.

Have you volunteered to be audited by SARS to prove that all your purchases are legal and above board? Have you paid independent auditors to do the same?

Yet you expect people who ride bikes for a living to prove to you beyond your level of doubt that they're clean? Why?

I'm guessing you've never been in that type of situation so it's easy to say what you would do.

I'm a pretty level headed person and allow logic and reasoning rather than emotion to dictate my responses when faced with conflict. But trust me if I am continually labelled a liar and a cheat by every anonymous person with access to the internet, despite the fact that my multiple drug tests have come back negative, and these allegations (and statements) have the very real possibility of affecting my livelihood, then I am going to find it very hard, if not impossible to remain logical and reasonable.

"Don't judge another man until you have walked in his shoes"

I think it's an identical situation - it's random people who are armed with media reports questioning your integrity.

Have you volunteered to be audited by SARS to prove that all your purchases are legal and above board? Have you paid independent auditors to do the same?

Yet you expect people who ride bikes for a living to prove to you beyond your level of doubt that they're clean? Why?

" Public figures voluntarily place themselves in a position that invites close scrutiny"

despite the fact that my multiple drug tests have come back negative, and these allegations (and statements) have the very real possibility of affecting my livelihood, then I am going to find it very hard, if not impossible to remain logical and reasonable.

I think the above problem is a challenge that cycling faces.

Because we've had riders who have passed every test, etc, etc, and then turned out to be cheating anyways, I'm immediately suspicious at the smallest inconsistencies

so what do you do?

" Public figures voluntarily place themselves in a position that invites close scrutiny"

You and I will have to disagree on that one.

Everyone deserves their privacy. There are professional institutions paid to test athletes. Mr. Joe Public armed with a Paul Kimmage article has no right to question someone's ethics in my opinion.

You and I will have to disagree on that one.

Everyone deserves their privacy. There are professional institutions paid to test athletes. Mr. Joe Public armed with a Paul Kimmage article has no right to question someone's ethics in my opinion.

we can disagree all we want - its under the legal dictionary definition for defamation.

wrt to testing - I personally have no faith in the testing process. Its been proven before how easy it is to manipulate.

I think the above problem is a challenge that cycling faces.

Because we've had riders who have passed every test, etc, etc, and then turned out to be cheating anyways, I'm immediately suspicious at the smallest inconsistencies

so what do you do?

To be honest unless you want to start working for UCI or CSA or similar there is nothing you can do.

Unless of course you want to become cycling's Paul O' Sullivan and start your own formal private investigations into all athletes you are suspicious of?

we can disagree all we want - its under the legal dictionary definition for defamation.

wrt to testing - I personally have no faith in the testing process. Its been proven before how easy it is to manipulate.

Defamation

The taking from one’s reputation. The offense of injuring a person’s character, fame, or reputation by false and malicious statements. The term seems to be comprehensive of both libel and slander.

Even if you have no faith in the testing system (and here we do agree somewhat) tweeting inferred crap just isn't right.

I agree with sometime's response - get involved in official channels if you want to make a difference. Being a tweetbaiter makes zero difference - even if you see yourself as a self appointed Deborah Patter.

Defamation

The taking from one’s reputation. The offense of injuring a person’s character, fame, or reputation by false and malicious statements. The term seems to be comprehensive of both libel and slander.

Even if you have no faith in the testing system (and here we do agree somewhat) tweeting inferred crap just isn't right.

I agree with sometime's response - get involved in official channels if you want to make a difference. Being a tweetbaiter makes zero difference - even if you see yourself as a self appointed Deborah Patter.

You're inferring there as well. Did I get 2 of my homies to phone you and threaten you?

I kinda get where you're coming from, but at the end of the day they're grasping at straws as the ship goes down

Wonder why Fedgroup is still involved? Makes one wonder what type of company it is. Certainly don't want my retirement funds invested with them.

That, however, does not diminish their rights to dignity. If you're proven to have had malicious intent and acted unlawfully in what you say, the tests for defamation have been met.

Archived