New Hout Bay MTB Trail

SportySpice

I would like to start a MTB Trail in Hout Bay. This of course leads to many questions. Where? How? With who? Permission? Would it be supported? etc etc. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!

I think you must speak to the Tokai and Table Mountain Bikers guys, they would probably have the best insight into this and the relationships with the authorities to pursue such a venture. I will be of the first to want to ride it. and if I can help in anyway I will, not sure how though

Would be awesome to have a circular route. However that only possible if have to cross over some tar roads. Thought start behind Ruiterplaats to Constantia Nek. Then over to Pipe Track. Down along the Disa River. Connect Karbonkelberg

There is a hiking path above Ruiterplaats. Will need to remove rocks and perhaps widen it a bit in places

That's all pretty much Parks land, and there are existing talks to get a circular route across the whole range. Please don't attempt to alter the hiking path in ANY way, as it may affect the relationship and potential of securing the approval for said circuit trail.

If you're caught riding the hiking trail, you WILL be fined.

Best course of action is to back the existing structures in place (table mountain mountain biking forum, composing PPA, AMARider, Table Mountain Bikers and Tokai MTB) who all already have an existing relationship with parks, and the numbers to back up any proposal.

Just bear in mind that it won't be a quick process. You're looking at years, not months.

There are a couple of us living in Hout Bay, and we been dreaming about making trails. But knowing the politics that prevail in the area all to well its a near impossible endeavor!

Some guys ride a bit in the forest at Ruiterplaats, but you won't get that trail linked all the way to the nek as you can't go through Oranjekloof. I've followed the trail to Longkloof but there are a lot of sections you can't ride over.

If you find an area, I'd be keen to help build.

Yeah, look - if you can secure permission, then great - I'll be along to help swing a ho any time. But if you can't get permission, be it from landowners, parks or whatever - know that whatever you do (ride, build etc) has the potential of getting you into some beeg trouble.

There are a couple of us living in Hout Bay, and we been dreaming about making trails. But knowing the politics that prevail in the area all to well its a near impossible endeavor!

Some guys ride a bit in the forest at Ruiterplaats, but you won't get that trail linked all the way to the nek as you can't go through Oranjekloof. I've followed the trail to Longkloof but there are a lot of sections you can't ride over.

If you find an area, I'd be keen to help build.

Also a Hout Bay local.

I think the trail from Ruyteplaats to Longkloof as more of a Hike-a-bike than a fully rideable trail.

But yes the biggest issue is getting through Orangekloof to the Nek.

From the Nek take Bay Road (the pipe track you'll see coming down from the Nek), watch out for dogwalkers, this is not a place for Strava.

You can already ride along Disa river from Blue Valley Road till Bethal Street, (Be careful though, sometimes there are undesirables along here, but Watchcon have installed CCTV cameras along here to curb this), where you either detour onto Valley Road or hout Bay Road till Victoria and follow the river again till Princess Street.

Then Karbonkelberg,, from there I know there are some trails that can be used to connect to Rocket Road, etc.

Spoke to Robert from Table Mountain Bikers now. He suggests we get all maps that exist and send to them. They are busy negotiating to have a trail made around Table Mountain. However that is still a way off. I think our answer might rather be to connect up with Tokai, until then

Spoke to Robert from Table Mountain Bikers now. He suggests we get all maps that exist and send to them. They are busy negotiating to have a trail made around Table Mountain. However that is still a way off. I think our answer might rather be to connect up with Tokai, until then

Yeah, as I said before - that's the best course of action. The guys in the Table Mountain MTB Forum have been campaigning for this trail for ages now. But we are getting closer to having a trail around the peninsula. Which would be awesome.