Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Thanks I've been in die hell So no doubt abour die leer, stetyns and Lehana's as real hike. Though I see some people saying 50% is unridable overall whic to me sounds over the top. Except from die leer Stetyns and Lehana's how much do you estimate as hike or portage rather than ride, also sya if % if its time or km wise?

Thanks

It might be 50% of the whole route is ride able, but only in case your name is Tim James or Glenn Harrison more of the route could be ride able.

I all depends on when do you pick your bike up, I normally pick it up as soon as I dip under 5km/h and it all depend with which portage you're busy, on Elandsberg I can walk at 5km/h, on Lehana it might be 3km/h and in Stetteyns it can be 100m/h, Osseberg might take you 8+ Hours to cover 20km, if you don't get lost........

Normally the racings snakes are quit happy to achieve an average of 10km/h + per day.

My speed from PMB to Allandale =105km = 9hours = 11.6km/h without any portages.

from Vuvu to Rhodes = 55km = 7H20 = 7.5km/h with a fairly easy portage.

Your riding ave might be between 15- 20km/h, but a portage will knock the hell out of your average, keep in mind that you will stop to check maps and to eat and to rest and to make small or BIG talk with David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went barefoot or used socks at the support stations. Never felt the need for an extra pair of shoes, sandals, or flipflops.

It might be 50% of the whole route is ride able, but only in case your name is Tim James or Glenn Harrison more of the route could be ride able.

It all depends on when do you pick your bike up, I normally pick it up as soon as I dip under 5km/h and it all depend with which portage you're busy, on Elandsberg I can walk at 5km/h, on Lehana it might be 3km/h and in Stetteyns it can be 100m/h, Osseberg might take you 8+ Hours to cover 20km, if you don't get lost........

Normally the racings snakes are quit happy to achieve an average of 10km/h + per day.

My speed from PMB to Allandale =105km = 9hours = 11.6km/h without any portages.

from Vuvu to Rhodes = 55km = 7H20 = 7.5km/h with a fairly easy portage.

Your riding ave might be between 15- 20km/h, but a portage will knock the hell out of your average, keep in mind that you will stop to check maps and to eat and to rest and to make small or BIG talk with David

Interesting I was hoping to hear that more is rideable, will have to see in the spring ride to Rhodes in a month to experience myself. 10km/h average dosn't sound that bad if it inculdes eating and looking at maps as that indeed minches up a lot of time and average speed.

I am more ride as long as you can If I can ride at 3km/h i will ride even if people are walking faster, i am not much of a walker which is most likely gonna be my biggest issue and training point if I decide to do the challenge.

I was just very surprised by the unridable part as I have ridden in South Africa fairly often and altitude gain for freedom challenge 4-5000 for 200km in the hard bits half of that in the easier bits didn't seem tto much for me. its normal where i ride to also hit 2.000m in a 100km ride we even have some 30k rides that easily clear the 1.000m gain though even on rocky bits 90% rather 95% I just ride on the bike it might be at 2km/h but slowly and steady I get there.

I have done Sani Pass on my enduro bike and I walked a total of 250m(length that is not altitude gain).

I must say I am nervous and curious. I used to be a racing snake a decade ago Jeanie Dreyer was in my uni class and we sometimes rode together. Though i have been out of the serious cycling fo quite a while(i did keep riding) and only started putting serious training time in since april say 15h a week instead of 5 or 2-3 the past years

Interesting I was hoping to hear that more is rideable, will have to see in the spring ride to Rhodes in a month to experience myself. 10km/h average dosn't sound that bad if it inculdes eating and looking at maps as that indeed minches up a lot of time and average speed.

I am more ride as long as you can If I can ride at 3km/h i will ride even if people are walking faster, i am not much of a walker which is most likely gonna be my biggest issue and training point if I decide to do the challenge.

I was just very surprised by the unridable part as I have ridden in South Africa fairly often and altitude gain for freedom challenge 4-5000 for 200km in the hard bits half of that in the easier bits didn't seem tto much for me. its normal where i ride to also hit 2.000m in a 100km ride we even have some 30k rides that easily clear the 1.000m gain though even on rocky bits 90% rather 95% I just ride on the bike it might be at 2km/h but slowly and steady I get there.

I have done Sani Pass on my enduro bike and I walked a total of 250m(length that is not altitude gain).

I must say I am nervous and curious. I used to be a racing snake a decade ago Jeanie Dreyer was in my uni class and we sometimes rode together. Though i have been out of the serious cycling fo quite a while(i did keep riding) and only started putting serious training time in since april say 15h a week instead of 5 or 2-3 the past years

Marnitz doesn't read the maps :w00t: as he knows the route so factor some time in. That said his times are not unachievable.

The lack of being able to ride and having to portage is not necessarily due to m gained... you simply cannot ride a bicycle up some of the passes and valleys you hike up - no matter how much of a superman hill climbing cyclist you are or are not - its a case of bike on the back or push bike next you.

There's a Huge fire in the Elands river area, 80 000ha burnt already. As far as I can make out from the satellite pics, it looks like it had burnt as far as the Groot River by this afternoon, which should make the Osseberg? a bit easier next year.

post-2975-0-86453400-1409078319_thumb.jpg

edit River name wrong

2. Boast. I hiked up Lehanas with normal MTB shoes, cheap Olympics, worked fine. Martin & Jeannie also used normal MTB shoes, they only did 12 days of this though, I only did R2R.

Martin is the first to tell you to take a trail type MTB shoe.

Question? What footware does one take for the Support Stations. I cannot bare to stay in my cycling shoes after a long day.

I know some guys take slip slops or stokies. I took trail shoes last time (incase of portages and last resort for riding), but found them too bulky and heavy.

Any ideas' ?

cheap imitation Crocs. Tie them to the outside of you backpack. Very light and no packing issues. Plus you can wear socks with them for the cold nights, whereas normal flip-flops with toe piece you can't.

What MTBeer said - I looped these into the outside straps of my pack. Also used them to cross rivers when temps were warmer - otherwise I was in my sealskinz.

Mate, here in the flatter parts of the Eastern Cape I can put in an 80km ride with 3km of altitude gain, when you get to the Maluti's and the like, well it's quite mountainous to put it mildly, and it's easier to carry your bike than ride it. Especially when the path is full of babyheads.

Marnitz doesn't read the maps :w00t: as he knows the route so factor some time in. That said his times are not unachievable.

The lack of being able to ride and having to portage is not necessarily due to m gained... you simply cannot ride a bicycle up some of the passes and valleys you hike up - no matter how much of a superman hill climbing cyclist you are or are not - its a case of bike on the back or push bike next you.

I am not keen to beat Marnitz his times I am crazy but not that crazy.

Point taken what % distance wise did you hike in your race to Rhodes?

Did you get my fatbike pm?

Mate, here in the flatter parts of the Eastern Cape I can put in an 80km ride with 3km of altitude gain, when you get to the Maluti's and the like, well it's quite mountainous to put it mildly, and it's easier to carry your bike than ride it. Especially when the path is full of babyheads.

Chill I am just trying to form an image as versions of fast unridable and long differ a lot from person to person. I prefer to ask some clarification and clarify a bit to learn, also English is not my home language so sometimes its a bit harder to get certain explanations or info.

I am not keen to beat Marnitz his times I am crazy but not that crazy.

Point taken what % distance wise did you hike in your race to Rhodes?

Did you get my fatbike pm?

His times aren't unrealistic - as with most of the 'top' RASA riders they make up their time by not sleeping so they are simply on the move more. Many racing snake types will ride faster, when they're riding, but sleep more. In the end, if you're not out there to win it, don't stress about average speeds and watch the bigger picture and you'll do well - know what you need to achieve for the day and know what needs to be done. ie: To get to the days finish by time X I must be at point A by this time and point B by that time...

Again - I wasn't really watching percentages and HR's etc etc (you miss out on a lot of scenery if you do :thumbup: ) - so I can't really give a % of portaging. Certainly know where near half - if you're portaging half the course then fitness, or the lack there of, is coming into play. Lehanas is a big portage - basically a mountain that you hike up and ride down to rides on the other side. Unless the wind is wild, then you may portage downhill - believe me! Vuvu is quiet a portage, although we took a 'higher' route and managed to ride a lot more than previous rides through the area. Ntsikeni can be a portage too (don't use the 'shortcut' - portage central!). The round about way should be nice for Spring R2R - much of Nstikeni was burned just before RASA so the vegetation should still be short and low. There were various other little areas where you need to scramble off or up a mountain side - very rocky gorges, big boulders or tiny baby head rocks and other areas where vegetation makes riding impossible (think Vuvu Valley)...

You sound like a strong rider and will do well on the long district roads and even the beeg road ascents, but get your head around walking with the bike. It will happen. It usually happens in the most scenic places where it's actually great to be off the bike as you can take in the surroundings - so at the beginning of such a section, take a break, have a coffee or snack and then go for it :thumbup: .

Chill I am just trying to form an image as versions of fast un-ridable and long differ a lot from person to person. I prefer to ask some clarification and clarify a bit to learn, also English is not my home language so sometimes its a bit harder to get certain explanations or info.

Hi

There are a lot of areas that can be ridden but with a backpack and the bike loaded its a bit more challenging! There are areas where the pathways are non existent so its pure bush-bashing.

Marnitz is a tough guy and has the right mental approach to the race, but that said he has done the race a few times and knows what to expect!

I believe the way to look at the RASA as a first timer is to see it as an adventure, don't set your sights too high as you will be disappointed, you have 26 days to do it in and winding up injured in the first week or two is far more devastating than riding for the full 26 days!

His times aren't unrealistic - as with most of the 'top' RASA riders they make up their time by not sleeping so they are simply on the move more. Many racing snake types will ride faster, when they're riding, but sleep more. In the end, if you're not out there to win it, don't stress about average speeds and watch the bigger picture and you'll do well - know what you need to achieve for the day and know what needs to be done. ie: To get to the days finish by time X I must be at point A by this time and point B by that time...

Again - I wasn't really watching percentages and HR's etc etc (you miss out on a lot of scenery if you do :thumbup: ) - so I can't really give a % of portaging. Certainly know where near half - if you're portaging half the course then fitness, or the lack there of, is coming into play. Lehanas is a big portage - basically a mountain that you hike up and ride down to rides on the other side. Unless the wind is wild, then you may portage downhill - believe me! Vuvu is quiet a portage, although we took a 'higher' route and managed to ride a lot more than previous rides through the area. Ntsikeni can be a portage too (don't use the 'shortcut' - portage central!). The round about way should be nice for Spring R2R - much of Nstikeni was burned just before RASA so the vegetation should still be short and low. There were various other little areas where you need to scramble off or up a mountain side - very rocky gorges, big boulders or tiny baby head rocks and other areas where vegetation makes riding impossible (think Vuvu Valley)...

You sound like a strong rider and will do well on the long district roads and even the beeg road ascents, but get your head around walking with the bike. It will happen. It usually happens in the most scenic places where it's actually great to be off the bike as you can take in the surroundings - so at the beginning of such a section, take a break, have a coffee or snack and then go for it :thumbup: .

Interesting read again

Thanks the scenery is actually what makes me come back to South Africa time and time again. I intend too look at plenty as usual. I am not in it to win it, well i am not even in it actually for now. My body is not capable of much sleep deprivation so a rather conservative approach time out there would be my choice. Long ago I used to be a race snake but I discovered when my body forced me too that there is a lot off stuff out there that you miss when you are riding for a result or training from a schedual. I have only ridden for enjoyment the last ten year setting out for an hour and doing six setting out for five and not get pas the coffee shop 5k down the road.

I will start training on walking training if I decided to do RASA for the spring ride I will just have to suck up the pain of legs not used to walking.

Archived