Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are making progress on the bike front as well I actually have a frame, forks and front wheel. Factory has called they started hub production late last week and rim and spokes should be in the mail.

We printed our maps on A4 (technically letter size in the US, but close enough) and it was a mistake. A4 is just too small to see all the details required for portage sections. For 2015 I will print on A3. I used a waterproof paper and while we were lucky to not get rain I will do that again. Others put maps into ziplock bags and that seems to work fine too, but I liked the simplicity of just having to worry about the paper.

http://www.amazon.com/iGage-Weatherproof-Paper-8-5-x11/dp/B00006687T/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410214017&sr=8-2&keywords=waterproof+paper

Another tip that may seem obvious but I got wrong in 2011 - print in full color! It's not good if you can't tell the difference between a trail, contour line, or river because they're all about the same shade of grey.

I am also considering making some custom maps. Specifically editing some of the maps to put some portages on the same page. For example the exit of Nstikeni is split over two maps in an unfortunate place that caused me to misread them. The Google earth photos were useless as they just don't have enough information. We are planning on combining them with topo and trail maps.

On this topic - does anyone know the projection the maps are in?

Might have a clue who the Crazy German is.

TRUST me on this, the maps and narratives are now very good. If you get lost, don't blame the tools!

Also learn to ride at night. not just a lap course that you know, but nav at night is tough for different reasons. A barometric altimeter is the best bang for buck tool you can get for its weight - but you need to know how to use it and calibrate it often from known points.

I don't know any CRAZY Germans. :w00t:

I use a Suunto Core, it has a compas, storm warning and baro + alitimeter and you don't have to charge it, it's battery operated.

Night riding are only for fast snakes..... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

For the maps do you guys print them on A4 or bigger? Plastified?

A3 folded to A4 with print on the 'outside'. Maps can then be flipped when viewing.

My two cents worth on maps:

A thing I did which I found most useful was to cut and paste the narrative onto the maps at the right places. It helps one "visulize" the route as well as know each map pretty well by the end. Also means narrative is with the map and not two seperate things to confuse you. A lot of PT (many hours) to do, but helped alot.

I also complimented maps with Google Earth printouts of "tricky" parts. I see however you can get these with the maps now, which is great (Thanks Chris).

The moral of the story is the more familiar you are with the maps and narrative the better prepared you are.

Its surprising how much one actually remembers once you are on the ground if you have done your "homework".

REMINDER: KZN RASA/ R2R Q&A Evening.

Thursday 18th September

Essence Coffee Shop & Deli

The Square

Chatterton Road

PMB

18H00 for 18h30

Have entered or are thinking about it? - Worthwhile evening to attend...

See you there.

I don't know any CRAZY Germans. :w00t:

I use a Suunto Core, it has a compas, storm warning and baro + alitimeter and you don't have to charge it, it's battery operated.

Night riding are only for fast snakes..... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

did you ever use the watch as a compass? i wouldn't try it without a real needle device

Hi

I have a pair of Shimano MT91 SPD Gore Tex mountain bike shoes for sale.Size 45

I them wore a few times on training rides and then opted for the MT71 for RASA.

I paid R1500 plus import duties for them.

If interested please make a reasonable offer.

did you ever use the watch as a compass? i wouldn't try it without a real needle device

I use it for a backup and it works quit well, but you need to calibrate it and you need to know how it works.

I can show you a couple of over the counter cheap R250 compasses that everybody normally use on the FC which you can't calibrate, and will send you in a direction slightly off course.

A compass is just an aid which point you in the right direction, speaking about the FC, we don't need to take bearings.

I normally use the stars by night and the sun by day with surrounding landmarks, in case of an over clouded sky or fog, I would fall back on my compass to point me in the right direction.

Might have a clue who the Crazy German is - I was also a maties cycling club member at the time, but the second language was german so it's a shortlist of about 15 guys.

are your initials in shebeen? do you like photography an does your dad ride a tandem?

are your initials in shebeen? do you like photography an does your dad ride a tandem?

Yes it's Steven Burnette, I don't know about his dad riding a tandem and my electronic compass show's he's living in Cape Town.......

Any advice out there?

I know competitors take all sort of concoctions with regard to preventative medication to avoid illness. From multi-vits to Probiotics to "horse muti".  Also a general Antibiotic in case of illness. What do you Guys swear by???

I have taken the Multi-Vits & Vit C, and Slowmag for cramping. 

I noticed alot of competitors got sick this year so want to try to avoid it myself.

Slowmag, SlowK (Kalium) Calsium are for the muscles, they need all three to work properly.

Vit C & Iron to enrich blood with oxygen and to prevent colds.

Imoduim incase your tummy wants to work better than normally.

Bruffin & Betaflex incase your knees pack up.

Kannie worry pille to keep you moving.

Sleeping pills if your neighbor keeps you awake.

Red Bull to open your eyes if you didn't have any sleep.

Milk to give you energy and to change the lactic acid into workable energy. 

Beer and redwine to keep you happy.

Cough medicine to case that bad Freedom Cough.

Headache pills if you had to much wine or to little sleep.

:eek:  :oops:  :blink:   

A daily regimen of bactroban on the derriere - morning and evening. Ibuprofen in the morning for swelling. Immodium for the Vuvu chicken. Fusion in the evening as a "recovery" shake.

Archived