Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

W. LARRY KENNEY, PH.D.

Noll Physiological Research Center

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA

Member, GSSI Sports Medicine Review Board

KEY POINTS

1. The use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) before and during exercise has been linked to acute renal failure in a handful of case-study reports. Similarly, long-term NSAID may be involved in some cases of chronic renal failure, independent of exercise.

2. Acute renal failure occurs when the kidney is unable to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance and excrete waste products.

3. NSAIDs act therapeutically by inhibiting prostaglandin synthesis thereby reducing pain and inflammation. Because renal prostaglandins protect against decreases in renal blood flow during exercise, renal PG inhibition with an NSAID during exercise may lead to an abnormally depressed renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate.

4. Excessive NSAID use may increase the potential for renal problems associated with exercise. This potential is magnified if prolonged exercise is combined with severe heat stress and/or dehydration.

5. Fortunately, the incidence of renal failure associated with exercise is low, even in athletes who habitually use NSAIDs.

6. Proper hydration prior to and throughout exercise can minimize any risk that NSAIDs may pose to the kidney.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It not a race so you better sweep enjoying it then be ahead suffering to much.

I might join you sweeping the first two days. Bike has arrived but it was very hectic getting the correct parts and then beiing able to test it. Done 50k on it need to let my knees get used to th Q factor and likely to be faffing with set up and trying things. Watch out for the red bike and the guy with the allen keys.

Plenty of space at the back!! 4 days time and we will be well on our way....weather looking hot. Life could be worse  :thumbup: :clap:

I was asked about sneaks on the Freedom Challenge.

Rule 20 - Route and Navigation

20.1. The Freedom Challenge will follow the general route of the Freedom Trail, including most alternative routes (marked in green on the trail website and maps).  The precise route will be published on the Freedom Challenge website.
20.2. The Race Organisor has the power to change the route at short notice.
20.3. A Challenger is expected to stay on the route.  If for any reason, planned or unplanned, the challenger leaves the route, he should re-enter where he left the route to continue.
20.4. A Challenger failing to re-enter the route at the point where he left it should notify the Race Organiser as soon as possible after re-entering the route.  The Race Organiser may direct the rider to return to ride the section or to serve a time penalty (which will generally be three times the time that it would take to ride that section or 6 hours, whichever be the longer).

20.5. The Race Organiser shall have the authority to withdraw a Challenger whose conduct, in the Race Organiser’s sole and exclusive judgement shows a disregard for the intended race route, or when continuous deviation from the race route is made without reason.
20.6. During the Freedom Challenge, Challengers are restricted to the use of traditional forms of navigation. This includes the use of the official race narratives and race maps, a magnetic compass and any device which measures time, distance and speed without the use of GPS technology (i.e. a simple bike computer). Any device onto which a GPS track or route can be loaded and followed is prohibited. Use of such devices for navigation will result in immediate disqualification. 

There are a couple of "legal" sneaks on the route, the unwritten rule is that you will be receive a daylight penalty if you were faster than the normal time on the route.

An example of a legal sneak would be going over the mountain on Lehana's pass rather than going around. To go over the mountain will cost you more energy, you will need to be very strong and there should be no wind blowing.....More climbing and less travelling, but more or less done in the same time.

The same with Vuvu valley, you've got the option of the high route or the low route, it all depends on the length of the grass, the same with politique high and low routes.

If you take a deliberate sneak like Alex Harris in the Osseberg, you might get clapped by the electric fence, stung by bees and receive a daylight penalty.

If you are planning to take a sneak, the best will be to discuss it with the race director before you take it.

Most of the sneak's looks very tempting on Google Earth, but in real life it will take a lot longer and will cost you a lot of energy, and don't think you won't be caught, the race director and all the veterans knows about every farmer en route, which will inform them of any mishaps.

When you enter the Freedom Challenge, you sign up to police yourself and other challengers.

There will always be chancers, just remember it's not part of the spirit of the soul of mountain biking. 

Thanks for that . I was talking about stuff like the following . This comes of a route I got from somebody else and is on the Assvoelberg leg . There are a few of these on that particular route more or the same type of thing , cutting a corner . 

post-104-0-86978000-1411032861_thumb.png

Dirt-rider.

1. The danger of looking at someone else's track is you don't know if the actual tracked route went that way because it was the correct/intended route or whether it was actually a mistake/deviation. A subsequent corrective track/drawing could either be a sneak or may actually be the correct path. I have looked at many tracks over the years and I have seen many different options in places, most perhaps unintentionally discovered. If you make an honest mistake that turns into a sneak and you are not racing for first position, I suspect David just smiles and feels happy. More likely is you make a mistake and it takes you longer, David still smiles and feels happy.

2. Most sensible sneak options have probably been explored, discussed and are probably accepted alternatives. If in doubt, rather publish like you did and ask for feedback. Other examples in early days, cross Umko or ride around (legit options), there are options to get up onto Mpharane Ridge, options out of Ntsikeni, options through Politique, options getting down into Tinana (scrambling down or riding around), same with options up to Naude's Nek (Marnitz has explored them all). All of these are accepted options.

3. My advice would be to validate your intended route against the actual maps or the narratives and stick with those. As Marnitz says, what you see on the map/Google Earth is most likely NOT sensible when you arrive there.

Thanks , that's what I am busy doing now , using narratives and maps on the site . Not going to be an over-night thing but like I said before , I am actually learning a lot .  :whistling:

Good question. 

Thanks for that . I was talking about stuff like the following . This comes of a route I got from somebody else and is on the Assvoelberg leg . There are a few of these on that particular route more or the same type of thing , cutting a corner . 

could be a grey area, don't want to speak for Lehana, but here's my take

#might even be a gps error in the tracklog if it skips for a bit then you just get a straightline from one point to the next, guy probably still followed the trail.

#you're supposed to follow the map/narratives, but ultimately you go where you see the route on the ground. a shortcut like this is just an alternative way down the mountain, the narrative might even mention multiple ways but there will always only be one way on the map - the descent to tinana mission from black fountain is a good example of this.

A 'sneak' is a shortcut, nothing more, nothing less. That's when you ignore the narratives and find a quicker route to a destination. It's nothing more than getting lost on purpose to go a quicker way, and is totally against the spirit of the race. If you get lost by mistake, and end up at the destination the chances are you did not do it quicker so there's no real harm.

You can think of the narrative like a dot to dot puzzle. If you go from one to the next one it's not a real problem how you get there. Skipping them is not allowed. 

There is a difference of about 300 meters in length and 40m gain, the green route takes you on a jeep track and the red route is the unpaved direct route, will probably take you the same time and if you miss the green jeep track the red route might throw the way off course on the next spur....... 

There is a difference of about 300 meters in length and 40m gain, the green route takes you on a jeep track and the red route is the unpaved direct route, will probably take you the same time and if you miss the green jeep track the red route might throw the way off course on the next spur....... 

Interesting point by Marnitz. If you deviate and make a mistake with the "sneak" you will most likely lose a lot of time as you cannot easily re-engage the route once you've gone off course. Example this year exit from Ntsikeni, I'm not aware of anyone that managed to nail the exit across the voorbrand, maybe Mike or Glenn, not sure. Fit hit the shan when you try and link up with the original path on the other side and cannot find the beacons or landmarks. When you make mistakes you want to be able to backtrack on both map & narrative, making a mistake with a sneak puts you in no-mans land and difficulty to recover. If you look at some tracks from the past there is plenty of evidence to support this. Staying on the map/narrative is smart risk management.

med_gallery_11698_1560_152751.png The pink line was my mistake I made in 2013, following Martin's tracks, the grass was burned and I opted for the straight line approach. I cut across the jeep track and rounded the lower spur and ended in the wrong valley, had to climb out of there to much laughter of the race office.......

Archived