What spokes

sustan

Hi guys, still relatively new to the tech side of mountain biking. Iv got a set of crest rims on slx hubs, the hubs are giving me greef!!! Id like to upgrade to hope 2 hubs but not sure what spokes to get or if I should just stick with the std no name brand spokes currently on the bike? I hear brass nipples are also the way to go? Thanks

Second what Droo said, double butted, brand name, brass nipples. Only say brand name as they invariably use Sandvik vacuum degassed stainless steel, which is the only steel to use on spokes.

Have Pillar double butted on my wheels but with a thickness of 1.8mm in the centre and not 1.6mm

Have Pillar double butted on my wheels but with a thickness of 1.8mm in the centre and not 1.6mm

Jip, best value to me the Pillar DB.2.0-1.8-2.0mmThey strong and last forever.And don't let anyone tell you they not strong enough.I'm no lightweight and have never broken one of these.

Hi guys, still relatively new to the tech side of mountain biking. Iv got a set of crest rims on slx hubs, the hubs are giving me greef!!! Id like to upgrade to hope 2 hubs but not sure what spokes to get or if I should just stick with the std no name brand spokes currently on the bike? I hear brass nipples are also the way to go? Thanks

More important is the wheel builder.

Drive a few minutes South (towards civilisation) and get Wyatt Earp at Summit Cycles build them for you.

PM him on the Hub

You get (at least) two types of DT Swiss, Competition and Revolution, the one is a thinner (1.6mm?) and tricky to work with since they twist too easily. I used to get from CRC but lately I got hand-cut Sapim from JB, who is now ex-SA, anyone else around Jhb that can supply decent spokes at decent prices? I have another 650b conversion coming up.

Edited by kosmonooit

Interested in the issues you are having with shimano hubs - guessing its trouble adjusting the cup cone?

It may be easier to get the cup cone thing working than building new wheels (although less fun)

like others said, double butted brand name is best. Boxed spokes often come with brass nipples, these last longer and are easier to work with than Al nipples, Al nipples if you really want to save weight at the expense of having to replace the nipples every year or so.

Wheel builder is nb, or taking the time to learn the skill for yourself (there are some great books)

An alternative solution might be to get the hubs working correctly instead of building new wheels

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. Im 82kgs and not too worried about weight but do like the feel of a light wheelset. To answer your question Daniel, its actually the freewheel body which broke (4 months old). Shimano said they would replace it but don't have stock and cant tell me when they will receive stock. They have complete hubs all over the show but will not remove the freewheel bodies. The shop I bout the bike from said they would make a plant to fix or otherwise provide a loan wheel, they didn't (after having the bike for a week). I went to fetch last Fri and had to make my own plan to get a wheel for Hakahana. After some research it seems the SLX hubs are prone to problems. I'm thinking of buying a complete new wheelset and using the one I currently have as a spare when shimano gets stock

True that

excuse the pun

Har har... ^_^

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. Im 82kgs and not too worried about weight but do like the feel of a light wheelset. To answer your question Daniel, its actually the freewheel body which broke (4 months old). Shimano said they would replace it but don't have stock and cant tell me when they will receive stock. They have complete hubs all over the show but will not remove the freewheel bodies. The shop I bout the bike from said they would make a plant to fix or otherwise provide a loan wheel, they didn't (after having the bike for a week). I went to fetch last Fri and had to make my own plan to get a wheel for Hakahana. After some research it seems the SLX hubs are prone to problems. I'm thinking of buying a complete new wheelset and using the one I currently have as a spare when shimano gets stock

The new XT freehubs are apparently made of cheese. Not having warranty stock is a bit poor though, especially if they can't give you an arrival date.

Hopes are the way forward, just make sure you get the steel freehub body.

Freehub body on xt is much better than on slx. The 29er specific slx hubs also have the better Freehub, with one less seal I believe.

The freewheel went on my stock hub a few months back, replaced it with an xt hub, really like it.

Another option is to get an xt hub from crc, of the freebody if they have it seperate - think I paid 500 for my xt hub vs 2k for a hope one

My preference was to get a good hub for as little as possible, also prefer forged hubs over cnc hubs for their strength, and prefer servicing cone and cup over having to find new bearings

Just my opinion, I know there is some backlash coming

Jip, best value to me the Pillar DB.2.0-1.8-2.0mmThey strong and last forever.And don't let anyone tell you they not strong enough.I'm no lightweight and have never broken one of these.

These spokes are strong, you say? How much stronger are they than an equivalent 2.0-1.8-2.0 from another brand? Further, you say they last forever. How long is forever?