[Event] Chris Willemse Cycles Durbie Dash

CWC Online

Guys same organizers as last year... And he has come on to clarify what went wrong. He didn't try and excuse it - he apologized and stated facts. There are a lot of issues at play in these kind of events. Ppl promise things and don't deliver at the last minute. The main organizing guy is a cyclist (and only human) and would never have done anything to put people in jeopardy deliberately. There are so many events on the calendar and each one does what they can to help attract people. I can assure you the price tag was not thumb sucked to rip people off - the costs to cover these events are astronomical.

Add to that - all the Marshall's were volunteers from the school - some who have never been on a bike before although all were briefed as well as could be done.

How many of you guys have ever volunteered to man a marshaling point at a race/ ride? No I'm not pointing fingers or judging cos yes we need ppl to ride too but it is interesting to be on the other side of the flag.

I was asked to pre run the road loop as there wasn't anyone else who could hopefully "see the signage and hazards " thru a road cyclists view point... Brave considering I ride a Mtb and I'm slow :P. I picked up and cleared road kill, broken glass, hammered in signs, and generally prayed I was right in my estimations of where the signs should be best placed for visibility etc. The Marshall's were out by 5/ 5:30 sweeping intersections, braving traffic etc and All for the love of it.

Again I'm not judging or playing the martyr and most of the complaints are valid, I just don't want ppl to think that you were ripped off or treated unfairly on purpose, the amount of time and effort that went into this over the last few months is mind boggling - and some of the vicious comments makes me want to say " I don't want to help out again" ( and I actually did very little by comparison). Race organization all seems like a very thankless task if you ask me - bit of damned if you do and damned if you don't...

There is always room for improvement in any event and again as it was mentioned they were let down at the last minute as in the case of the water and other things. They say have noted the complaints and constructive criticisms and will be sitting down to discuss this for next year.

I should add that I have no affiliations to the school nor do I have children there, I do know the organizers and I have read the posts on this thread and the response and base this post on what I read. I was a willing volunteer to help out, oh that and my Flame suit is on. :)

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys same organizers as last year... And he has come on to clarify what went wrong. He didn't try and excuse it - he apologized and stated facts. There are a lot of issues at play in these kind of events. Ppl promise things and don't deliver at the last minute. The main organizing guy is a cyclist (and only human) and would never have done anything to put people in jeopardy deliberately. There are so many events on the calendar and each one does what they can to help attract people. I can assure you the price tag was not thumb sucked to rip people off - the costs to cover these events are astronomical.

Add to that - all the Marshall's were volunteers from the school - some who have never been on a bike before although all were briefed as well as could be done.

How many of you guys have ever volunteered to man a marshaling point at a race/ ride? No I'm not pointing fingers or judging cos yes we need ppl to ride too but it is interesting to be on the other side of the flag.

I was asked to pre run the road loop as there wasn't anyone else who could hopefully "see the signage and hazards " thru a road cyclists view point... Brave considering I ride a Mtb and I'm slow :P. I picked up and cleared road kill, broken glass, hammered in signs, and generally prayed I was right in my estimations of where the signs should be best placed for visibility etc. The Marshall's were out by 5/ 5:30 sweeping intersections, braving traffic etc and All for the love of it.

Again I'm not judging or playing the martyr and most of the complaints are valid, I just don't want ppl to think that you were ripped off or treated unfairly on purpose, the amount of time and effort that went into this over the last few months is mind boggling - and some of the vicious comments makes me want to say " I don't want to help out again" ( and I actually did very little by comparison). Race organization all seems like a very thankless task if you ask me - bit of damned if you do and damned if you don't...

There is always room for improvement in any event and again as it was mentioned they were let down at the last minute as in the case of the water and other things. They say have noted the complaints and constructive criticisms and will be sitting down to discuss this for next year.

I should add that I have no affiliations to the school nor do I have children there, I do know the organizers and I have read the posts on this thread and the response and base this post on what I read. I was a willing volunteer to help out, oh that and my Flame suit is on. :)

Races are not entered and attended by cyclists expecting a "best effort" event. 

For that matter, I am hosting my own event, R50 entry fee.

I do promise a route, but maybe some water tables, maybe not; maybe a clear marked route, maybe not.

But please do not complain, as it is a best effort race, then feel sorry for me, as I tried my best and you are wrong for expecting anything more. 

Did the Olives buffet yesterday. NOW THAT IS A NICE RACE. 

rant off

So gepraat van Buffet Olives.  Buffet Olives se inskrywingsgelde was R170,00 vir 42km.  'n PPA lid het R200.00 betaal vir 54km by CWC Durbie Dash waarvan 'n gedeelte daarvan aangewend is ten bate van Baba Nicela.   Die inskrywingsgelde vir PPA lede was per kilometer goedkoper vir die CWC Durbie Dash as Buffet Olives en vir nie PPA Lede bykans dieselfde!   Ek aanvaar dus dat diegene wie van mening is dat die inskrywingsgelde te hoog was omtrent CWC Durbie Dash dit eens sal wees dat Buffet Olives se inskrywingsgelde ook te hoog is? 

So gepraat van Buffet Olives.  Buffet Olives se inskrywingsgelde was R170,00 vir 42km.  'n PPA lid het R200.00 betaal vir 54km by CWC Durbie Dash waarvan 'n gedeelte daarvan aangewend is ten bate van Baba Nicela.   Die inskrywingsgelde vir PPA lede was per kilometer goedkoper vir die CWC Durbie Dash as Buffet Olives en vir nie PPA Lede bykans dieselfde!   Ek aanvaar dus dat diegene wie van mening is dat die inskrywingsgelde te hoog was omtrent CWC Durbie Dash dit eens sal wees dat Buffet Olives se inskrywingsgelde ook te hoog is? 

Die verskil is, die Durbie dash roete kan mens dwarsdeur die jaar ry, enige persoon, koop net n dagpermit van R30, toe ek laas gery het. Buffet olives is op privaat eiendom and kan slegs gery word tydens die resies.  Mense wat ek ken wat gery het was almal baie baie positief oor alles, roete, merking van roetes, waterpunte, en alles. Dus het hul geen probleem gehad om die R170 te betaal nie. Hulle het volle waarde vir hul geld gekry.

Die grootste probleem hier is dus, hoekom die groot sprong in inskrywingsgeld tussen 2013 en 2014. Vir dieselfde roetes etc, maar slegter organisering, waterpunte, medaljes, atmosfeer etc etc. Dit is die vraag wat meeste van ons eintlik wil weet. Want ek kan jou verseker, volgende jaar gaan mense 2 keer dink voor hulle Durbie dash ry. Dit is sleg vir almal, fietsryers, organiseerders, borge etc. Hoop hul kan hul sokkies optrek en volgende jaar hul probleme uitsorteer.

Personaly i couldnt care less what a race costs and I for one did not complain. I don't measure a race/funride on its price. I measure it on the experience/enjoyment/organisation.

And if you really want to get technical : you climbed a lot more on buffet olives. So the climbing per rand is more than durbie dash... :clap:  :clap:

Opinion is like an asshole. we all have them. but that is just what it is. An opinion.

Personaly i couldnt care less what a race costs and I for one did not complain. I don't measure a race/funride on its price. I measure it on the experience/enjoyment/organisation.

So did you ride either of the two races mentioned?

What is your feedback, if you did?

Races are not entered and attended by cyclists expecting a "best effort" event. 

For that matter, I am hosting my own event, R50 entry fee.

I do promise a route, but maybe some water tables, maybe not; maybe a clear marked route, maybe not.

But please do not complain, as it is a best effort race, then feel sorry for me, as I tried my best and you are wrong for expecting anything more. 

POST OF THE DAY!

:lol:  :lol:

Ho Humm. Get over yourselves guys, and gals if there are any that commented, It is the cycling season choose you races/rides/walks in the park and get on with it.

You enter a race/ride/walk in the park and what do you get. Just that, nothing more nothing less. My issues is that till recently, when I decided to get my ass into gear again and loose weight, I never knew what water points were for on races that have a winner's time of less than 5 hrs. So what is the issue?

It is a water point (Water at a point) and 90% of PPA race/ride/walk not need any water points. if there is more than water at the water point then bravo. if no, so what ride on to the finish.

Re technical dangerous parts of the MTB. What? it is an MTB race/ride/walk. There is nothing on these rides that are challenging anymore. Soon people will want all the single tracks manicured. No wait, people are bitching about this already....... Go ride on the road then!

Re medals etc, I get it that noobs may want one........ but really for an annual race/ride/walk in the park.

Re entry fee, I say again, pay and ride, don't pay and don't ride.  As soon as the organizers feel the entry numbers are too low they will change it. Till then it will keep going up.

My rant GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Fondriest - my gripe on this - why was this never advertised as such. All I saw was a fancy new website with a lot of CWC, big prizes and double the entry fee, not mention of the Fund Raiser. All people saw was that they are now paying R200 for something that was a R100 a year ago without explanation

I am sure if an effort was made to emphasize it in the advertising you would have had a lot less  complaints.

I actually went and checked on this my self now. No mention of charity on the website. First time i heard about the charity was at the prize giving.

So the charity part was a bonus - the fact that i entered a race that had a good objective although hidden was lekker. Prize giving was excellent in my opinion.

"This is from the website. Note the part i highlighted in red.

"The annual Chris Willemse Cycles DURBIE DASH is not a fun school event. It is a professionally hosted, competitive and unique event experience for all levels of cyclists, runners, supporters and anyone looking for an opportunity to experience at least a few elements of Durbanville and its surrounding vineyards and natural beauty. "

Any competitive event must have medals and i understand that you oldies that have been cycling for donkey years dont care about medals but it matters to the newbies. Anycase. I have made peace with it. Ill enter the event again next year as it was worth it according to me nad hopefully someone will read my 2 posts that i have done and bring medals back.

Die verskil is, die Durbie dash roete kan mens dwarsdeur die jaar ry, enige persoon, koop net n dagpermit van R30, toe ek laas gery het. Buffet olives is op privaat eiendom and kan slegs gery word tydens die resies.  Mense wat ek ken wat gery het was almal baie baie positief oor alles, roete, merking van roetes, waterpunte, en alles. Dus het hul geen probleem gehad om die R170 te betaal nie. Hulle het volle waarde vir hul geld gekry.

I'm not sure if you read the entire thread or missed the race briefing before the mtb race started.  A R30 day permit only allows you access to one farm/trail, we crossed +-20 farms on Saturday, I'm just saying, i have no idea if this hiked the price up, it's just something that stands out for me, was the exact same route used in previous years?

I'm not sure if you read the entire thread or missed the race briefing before the mtb race started.  A R30 day permit only allows you access to one farm/trail, we crossed +-20 farms on Saturday, I'm just saying, i have no idea if this hiked the price up, it's just something that stands out for me, was the exact same route used in previous years?

We paid extra for the wind /  hurricane we rode in ..lol

and we could get our asses handed to us by the likes of Team Bulls, Chris Wolhurter, Louis Bresler, etc

I usually ride with Tygerberg mtb club members and pay R30.  That was a year ago to be fair. 

I usually ride with Tygerberg mtb club members and pay R30.  That was a year ago to be fair.

JB it's R30 per Meerendal, Contermanskloof and Hoogekraal. The rest was either over members only sections and special permission on private farms. I cannot comment on charges on the private land but I do know that generally TBMtb club does charge for the use of their trails as the do need to cover maintenance costs etc.

JB it's R30 per Meerendal, Contermanskloof and Hoogekraal. The rest was either over members only sections and special permission on private farms. I cannot comment on charges on the private land but I do know that generally TBMtb club does charge for the use of their trails as the do need to cover maintenance costs etc.

Shot for the info. 

Who was the photographer in the white VW Touran who was out there? I smiled and looked like I was doing some work, anyone know where I can see the photos :D

Archived