Berg & Bush

SamIam

there have been a few discussions around this type of question (so i'll prob get taken apart here) but: could anyone that has done the berg and bush pls let me know how technical it is? Now before i get crucified i think the best way to explain it would be in relation to another ride: i've done a few sani's, mtn's and trailseekers(vg and hakahana). so how technical is it in relation to one of those?

reason for asking is that all my usual mtb compadres can't make it and i just want to know how it would treat someone with a little less confidence

thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 2 versions of the race, i.e. the 3 day or the 2 day with different routes, but without getting complicated or entering the "what is technical" debate, it's very similar to Sani, so base your comparison on that in my opinion.

From talking to people who've done both (I've only done B&B) it appears that B&B is a bit more technical but that Sani is harder/longer (esp Day 2).

Ok, maybe this will help:

Van Gaalens Marathon 5/5 (reference score)

Hakahana Marathon 4/5

Magoebaskloof 3/5

Berg and Bush 3/5

Down & Dirty Nissan 2.8/5

Red Barn & Groenkloof. 2.5/5

Hazeldean Nissan. 2.3/5

Sondela Marathon 2/5

Rosemary Hill. 1/5

Good index by BarHugger.

For me Thaba Blue is a 5, Hakahana marathon was a 4 (I missed the VG marathon) and B&B is a 3 in terms of technical toughness.

Berg and Bush is much rockier than sani. If you are comfortable riding over rocks then you will be fine..... the faster you ride.. The more technical it is...I would say if you are continually using your brakes on day 2 sani descent, you may find it a challenging ride....

Actually.. There is nothing really technical at all.. Just don't expect a smooth ride. That's all I am trying to say

Edited by Stretch

Barhugger has it spot on... Sani is probably a 2.8 - 3 technically, depending on whether you plan to ride UP Hill of a Climb! Berg and Bush Descent was VERY hot last year. Lots of hydration needed.

depending on whether you plan to ride UP Hill of a Climb!

Now I would not call that technical at all... no obstacles to climb over or anything.. Just pedalling required. I don't recall any major obstacles on BnB... Just rough.. but apparently even pufadder has been smoothed down now

Edited by Stretch

Now I would not call that technical at all... no obstacles to climb over out anything.. Just pedalling required. I don't recall any major obstacles on BnB... Just rough.. but apparently even pufadder had been smoothed down now

Whu would they mess with pufadder.. that was lekker as is..

If you can do the one, you can do the other. No huge diffs.

If you think B'nB is not groomed, try this. Then comment.

Edited by davetapson