Chains 101

Uni

firstly i know next to nothing about chains - just curious - was getting a 101 last night and looking for some answers.

a) not all chains are created equal - I've been told a SRam chain is superior to Shimano one? what makes a chain better than another?

b) if your bike has a sram chain - and it's replaced with a shimano one - does it make sense to keep the SRAM master link on it - or should everything be swapped out?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are all the same and some are just lighter than others.

I prefer the shifting feel I get from Sram when I use a Shimano chain, and the master links can be used on both.

They are all the same and some are just lighter than others.

I prefer the shifting feel I get from Sram when I use a Shimano chain, and the master links can be used on both.

need to come and pick your brains on how to break / replace chain links - upgrading my emergency tool kit and trying to learn how to use the things i carry :blush:

In servicing bikes i have noticed that by replacing shimano chains with sram they do last a bit longer. I have to add however that it depends on the rider and shifting as well. Its also best to replace your link with every new chain. Shimano has no links in box. Only a pin that you have to press in where as sram has a quick link in box. Sram chains are cheaper too, depending on where you buy.

Is there a difference between a 10spd road chain and a 10spd MTB chain?

I should not think so .... I always used to use 10sp XTR/Dura Ace chains (the same chain) on both my road and mountain bike, I currently use KMC X10 10 speed again on both road and MTB.

I've no idea what Shimano have done to their standard and how they can possibly differentiate between road and MTB.

How ever just because i used it like that it does not mean its the proper way to opperate

For a chain and its importance? would the one with the less weight be more superior to the other?

Is there a difference between a 10spd road chain and a 10spd MTB chain?

The road chains are asymmetrical and optimised for direction.

For a chain and its importance? would the one with the less weight be more superior to the other?

Yes, the lighter chain adds 200 watts to every pedal stroke.

The road chains are asymmetrical and optimised for direction.

Sheriff aren't all shimano 10spd chains optimised for direction?

In servicing bikes i have noticed that by replacing shimano chains with sram they do last a bit longer. I have to add however that it depends on the rider and shifting as well. Its also best to replace your link with every new chain. Shimano has no links in box. Only a pin that you have to press in where as sram has a quick link in box. Sram chains are cheaper too, depending on where you buy.

It should be the other way around.

Sheriff aren't all shimano 10spd chains optimised for direction?

Yes, but the mountain bike chains outer plate was designed to eliminate chain suck and the inner plate for contact.

Looking from the top down you will notice the MTB chain plates look wider than the road and the MTB chain doesn't deal well with cross-shifting.

11 Speed will be the same chain for both.

Archived