Chains 101

Uni

hahahha bennie...that is nothing...

Bent my 105 dr on my roadbike with a bad shift....now that is noob

*decides not to tell any more noob stories ...*

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a proper chainbreaker tool (the pliers type) and don't remove it very often (as you can see form how dirty it is :blush: ) - I prefer to spend my time riding rather than obsessing about chain 'stretch' and maintenance ;) - having said that that chain was way passed it's useful life as well :ph34r:

dont think the removal/fitting of the chain is to blame....same happened to me on the link...outer plate of link snapped in half.

Cause...bad shift under tension...ie side force putting to much tension....and pop goes the proverbial weakest link.

Doing what is designed to do. Love it!

I would love to one day come up with something simple (which in many ways the chain link is) that can improve bike mechanics and maintenance (or just anything actually).

I have broken 2 chains - both shimano.

Have heard that Wipperman chains are very strong. Are they available in SA?

I've used the same SRAM 10sp link over and over already. I remove my chain at least once every 3 weeks to do a proper clean. (Google chain link removal tool.)

Likewise, I do the same.

My SRAM link gets opened regularly and its never broken. 1 link I'll use for 2 chains lifespan and then I change to a new one.

Did the pin break? Or the link outer actually 'let go' (bent) under the pin forces?

You are asking too technical questions......I don't want to think a lot when I am out riding. Don't do this or the chain will break, watch out for that or the chain will break, don't pedal to hard or the chain will break, don't stand and pedal or the chain will break.......I am to damn tired to think about all those contributing factors.

Just want to go out there, give it horns and go home without any problems......

.......but to answer your question.........mmmmmmmmm.........wish I knew.

What do you think......?

Doing what is designed to do. Love it!

I would love to one day come up with something simple (which in many ways the chain link is) that can improve bike mechanics and maintenance (or just anything actually).

Sure....I would rather a quick/power link pop than another link on the chain. The chain tool is also a non neg if you use sram 10 spd links...can't live without mine. Something so small and simple making my life easy is a win.

Me personally I like simple / self servicable things on my bike....less is more sometimes. Classic example is BSA vs PF bottom brackets...and shimano vs gxp bottom brackets. I know where I will spend my money

Ok the general consensus is , buy the cheapest as its a consumable.

but how do you know what to buy? For example, my bike came with a 10sp KMC chian, everything else on the bike, most importantly, the cassette is a Sram PG1030, now i've done 2400km and about 60 hours on a trainer. I want to replace my chain now, but which one PC1091, PC1091R, PC1071, PC1051 , Providing i go with SRAM ? or does it mean that as the cassette is a PG1030 the ideal chain should be the PC1031?

You are asking too technical questions......I don't want to think a lot when i am out riding. Don't do this or the chain will break, watch out for that or the chain will break, don't pedal to hard or the chain will break, don't stand and pedal or the chain will break.......I am to damn tired to think about all those contributing factors.

What do you think......?

I am asking, because you said it is because of the pin being hollow that that happened, but I cant see on the pics that the pin actually snapped, so if it was a solid pin the same might have happened...or am I missing the little piece of pin that snapped off?

Just asking because I actually like to know to learn and improve my knowlegde about technical matters.

You are asking too technical questions......I don't want to think a lot when I am out riding. Don't do this or the chain will break, watch out for that or the chain will break, don't pedal to hard or the chain will break, don't stand and pedal or the chain will break.......I am to damn tired to think about all those contributing factors.

What do you think......?

I have never ever seen a pin break, it must be a 1 in a million chance, normally the outer plate pushes past the flared lip on the pin.

Ok the general consensus is , buy the cheapest as its a consumable.

but how do you know what to buy? For example, my bike came with a 10sp KMC chian, everything else on the bike, most importantly, the cassette is a Sram PG1030, now i've done 2400km and about 60 hours on a trainer. I want to replace my chain now, but which one PC1091, PC1091R, PC1071, PC1051 , Providing i go with SRAM ? or does it mean that as the cassette is a PG1030 the ideal chain should be the PC1031?

Nope...all the chains will work the same and its not a case of match cassette with chain models. I have an XT cassette but have slx chains.

Nope...all the chains will work the same and its not a case of match cassette with chain models. I have an XT cassette but have slx chains.

Armgat

Armgat

hahahha actually those were bday pressie....I normally run deore....wat is armer as armgat?

hahahha actually those were bday pressie....I normally run deore....wat is armer as armgat?

;) , ek weet nie?

Sure....I would rather a quick/power link pop than another link on the chain. The chain tool is also a non neg if you use sram 10 spd links...can't live without mine. Something so small and simple making my life easy is a win.

Me personally I like simple / self servicable things on my bike....less is more sometimes. Classic example is BSA vs PF bottom brackets...and shimano vs gxp bottom brackets. I know where I will spend my money

Yip, I like the self service options too. And I actually enjoy working on bikes.

Unfortunatly it seems that with every child I add to the family I need to buy additional tools too. I realised 3 weeks ago that I needed a crank puller for the one bike, luckily he has left the family now. Worst is, the one replacing him has a PF BB (I want to cry long crocodile tears) I dont have any bearing tools (removers or presses). I have been tempted to buy for the head sets, and maybe the pivot bearings on the full sus bikes, but with all the different diameters all over I will end up with a room full probably. This is my next research though - look what combination removers and presses will be best to buy.

Cause...bad shift under tension...ie side force putting to much tension....and pop goes the proverbial weakest link.

100% correct.

This is a painful reminder of my last trip to the casualty ward.

Perfect thank you, now i am wiser. Where is the idiot from yesterday that accused the Hub of crucifying him for asking questions? I'm living proof that the hub helps educate fellow cyclists.

Archived