Bonus

“I won a Giro stage, now a Vuelta stage. It is coming together and I am very happy... I wanted to do something, that is for sure. There was a steep climb and a lot of the sprinters were annihilated, which was good for me. I was always active in the final so I was sort of hoping in the very, very end I would do something. They attacked a bit earlier than I wanted to and I sort of went with it... I was too far out but I said, ‘okay, I have to give it everything,’ and surprise, surprise.”

Hansen, on his breakaway win today

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge respect to Adam Hanson on his win yesterday, and how he pulled it off. Takes a big engine, a really big heart and some street smarts.

Adam is developing a bit of an eclectic following a la Jens Voigt. About to complete his 10th consecutive grand tour, I believe. Must be some sort of record, surely.

Huge respect to Adam Hanson on his win yesterday, and how he pulled it off. Takes a big engine, a really big heart and some street smarts.

Adam is developing a bit of an eclectic following a la Jens Voigt. About to complete his 10th consecutive grand tour, I believe. Must be some sort of record, surely.

Not yet a record

But, yeah, what a very clever win

What a racer

As always, Google knows.

The consecutive Grand Tour record is held by Spain’s Marino Lejaretta, who completed 10 back-to-back Grand Tours between 1988 and 1991.

So Hanson is less than 2 days away from equalling the record....

Hanson is a bit of a character in the peloton. Great to see one of the hardest f~~~ers in pro cycling who doesn't take himself seriously.On the Angliru in 2013...

post-22004-0-91021300-1410612974_thumb.jpeg

Remember the 2013 TDF when he downed a beer on the second ascent of Alpe d’Huez.

"Having got a feeling for the party happening on Dutch Corner the first time up, he snatched a glass of lager on the second pass, chugged it down and found his maverick reputation rising as sharply as the road to the summit. In these days of in-house team chefs and the ultra careful monitoring of all food and drink intake for fear of contamination, which could feasibly lead to an adverse doping result, Hansen’s downing of a un-checked demi from the 72 hour non-stop party that is Dutch Corner may well have been his boldest move in all of his [10] Grand Tours."Chapeau, Adam Hanson!

post-22004-0-83143800-1410613332_thumb.jpg

Some good news for the riders is that it is warm and dry at the finish. Very little wind around to hamper their efforts too.

After 42 kilometres of racing it looks like these four are our escapees of the day, with a gap of 1:08 now. He's a reminder of the men out front Przemyslaw Niemiec (Lampre-Merida), Wout Poels (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Jerome Coppel (Cofidis), Maxime Mederel (Europcar)

Like Niemiec, Wout Poels has been pretty active in the breakaways. He was part of the three-man escape yesterday. The Vuelta a Espana is likely to be one of the last races the Dutch rider does for Omega Pharma-QuickStep. It is expected that he will join team Sky next season.

As our four leaders approach the intermediate sprint, they have a 9:48 advantage over the peloton. None of the riders in the break are a threat to John Degenkolb's points jersey.