Tools needed to service an SLX Shimano through axle hub

Piernas Flacas

Howdy guys.

It seems I will need an 18, 22 and 23 mm cone spanners to service an SLX Shimano through axle hub. Am I right?

Fanks

Add a magnet to your tool list - the one mechanics use for picking up dropped bolts - great for collecting the bearings out of the race without dropping them - about R50 from Midas...

+1, I bought a magnet stuck on a telescopic aerial and its one of the best 'cheap' things I have ever bought!

Thanks, V12 and Mojo.

This fru axel tech is new to me and just wanted to make sure I'll have all the necessary tools. Thanks for the Cape Multi advice.

The TA hubs are exactly the same as the 9mm ones - the axle's just thicker.

• 1 month later...

Update: after receiving my spanking new set of tools I disassembled my hub for service this morning. I, however, broke one of the bearing cages when I pulled it out. The cage holds 15 balls but the manual attached above by a fellow hubber indicates 17 and there's no cage on the picture. I assembled the hub again with 17 and no cage, but I feel things are a bit tight. Do you guys think I should compromise and make it perhaps 16 balls?