Let's imagine the Ibis Mojo HDR and Momsen Vipa had a love child...

Iwan Kemp

I'm having second thoughts on 1x though. Will have to give it some more thought and a couple of rides

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was time to dig out the ol' faithful spreadsheet...

post-1575-0-22679800-1341321948.png

What does that mean o bike guru? (You telling me us oldies with skinny legs and a beer belly should stick to 2x10?)

In short:

If you're running 2x10 22/36 Crank with a 11 - 36 cassette.

Granny = 0.611

2nd = 0.688

3rd = 0.786

On 1 x11 running a 32 chainring

Granny = 0.762

In effect you are losing granny + 2nd a bit. Not the end of the world.

On the other side you will have a top gear ratio of 3.273 running the same 2x10 gears. With 1x11 you will have 3.2 which is very close.

Meaning 32T with a 10/42 cassette will give you a ratio spread that's very close to 2x10 with the above mentioned gears.

Edited by Iwan Kemp

22 - 36 is very much an AM / Enduro crankset. Most modern doubles have 26 - 39 (SRAM) or 26 - 28 (Shimano) chainrings.

On a 26 - 39 with a 11-36 cassette you are no worse off running 1x11 with a 32T chainring in granny gear, but you will lose your top 3 gears. You can obviously counter that by running your 1x11 with a bigger chainring.

A 34T 1x11 set up is the better buy for guys looking to replace 26 - 39 as you effectively lose only granny and is not much worse off in top gear.

22 - 36 is very much an AM / Enduro crankset. Most modern doubles have 26 - 39 (SRAM) or 26 - 28 (Shimano) chainrings.

On a 26 - 39 with a 11-36 cassette you are no worse off running 1x11 with a 32T chainring in granny gear, but you will lose your top 3 gears. You can obviously counter that by running your 1x11 with a bigger chainring.

A 34T 1x11 set up is the better buy for guys looking to replace 26 - 39 as you effectively lose only granny and is not much worse off in top gear.

Iwan I have been thinking along the same lines, I am not to worried about losing Granny but I suppose the only thing at this stage is the cost. I want to stay Sram but that means I will have to change the rear hub to accomadate the rear cassette. I have been looking at some of the cheaper options that will enable me to keep my current wheelset. Have you ridden a 1x11?

Iwan I have been thinking along the same lines, I am not to worried about losing Granny but I suppose the only thing at this stage is the cost. I want to stay Sram but that means I will have to change the rear hub to accomadate the rear cassette. I have been looking at some of the cheaper options that will enable me to keep my current wheelset. Have you ridden a 1x11?

Have 1x11 on my HDR and have ridden it on a couple of other bikes. I like it, a lot.

There are cheaper ways to go 1x , but that will leave you with 1x10 and you won't have the same range of gears. What would be you reasoning to go 1x and what are your requirements?

Have 1x11 on my HDR and have ridden it on a couple of other bikes. I like it, a lot.

There are cheaper ways to go 1x , but that will leave you with 1x10 and you won't have the same range of gears. What would be you reasoning to go 1x and what are your requirements?

I like the simplicity and spend most of my time on my big chanring with my current 2x10 setup. I hate changing gears on the front - prefer sticking in one gear and changing up and down on the rear - especially when the going gets rough and dirty. I used my Granny once this year and that was at Sabie, if I changed would have to just HTFU on that climb.

Give me your current ratios then I can make a recommendation from there.

24/36 chainrings on the front with a 11 - 36 on the back. Might be difficult to replicate - not sure :)

24/36 chainrings on the front with a 11 - 36 on the back. Might be difficult to replicate - not sure :)

By looking at your current set up three things come to mind

1. Stop posting effing "front shocks" in my thread! :D

2. Going with a 32T 1 x 11 set up will have you covered if you're already not bothered with your granny

3. Will have to look how 1x10 running a Wolf Components 42T chainring or Hope 40T T-Rex could work as a cheaper option.

Wolf Tooth

http://www.wolftooth...s/cassette-cogs

Hope:

http://www.hopetech....etrain/40t-rex/

Edited by Iwan Kemp

By looking at your current set up three things come to mind

1. Stop posting effing "front shocks" in my thread! :D

2. Going with a 32T 1 x 11 set up will have you covered if you're already not bothered with your granny

3. Will have to look how 1x10 running a Wolf Components 42T chainring or Hope 40T T-Rex could work as a cheaper option.

Wolf Tooth

http://www.wolftooth...s/cassette-cogs

Hope:

http://www.hopetech....etrain/40t-rex/

Thank you - will refrain from Posting Lefties - as you might have guessed this is for my Cannondale. :) Will look at the options - might have some more questions later :)

Give me your current ratios then I can make a recommendation from there.

what do you do for a living again ?