Another MTB tyre query

quickdraw

Howdy

I am currently running a Racing Ralph (650b) on the rear and am looking to replace it at some point due to wear.

The Continental Race King (2.2) seems like a possibly harder wearing tyre, but what I really want to know is how does it compare size (width, volume, etc) wise to the Racing Ralph (2.25)

Then lastly any feedback on the X-king front or rear (2.2)

Thanks in advance

Conti seems to be slightly thinner, I use x king front and rear. They have thick side walls, but be warned...if you are going to run tubeless they don't seal very easy.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so Maxxis Ikon delaminates and bubbles appear, Conti does not seal easily, Geax wont go onto Stans rims, and Racing Ralphs sweat and dont last very long.

So, what is a good durable tyre?

i'm using Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph at the moment, and I find them very good, but the RR wears quickly.

If you want to stick to the RR, make sure you get the right one. Snakeskin EVO TLR for the sidewall, and pacestar for the harder rubber compound. Both of your problems solved.

Anyone had any experience with the Maxxis Ardent , I'm looking to go tubeless

Plenty, but what size and what are you using it for? There are many variants and they're all pretty different.

Plenty, but what size and what are you using it for? There are many variants and they're all pretty different.

Its the 29 x 2.25 . I mostly do xc riding

Anyone had any experience with the Maxxis Ardent , I'm looking to go tubeless

Excellent front tyre .Half the price of an X,king .Maxxis ikon rear and ardent front is good combo ,or put x,king in front .I still rate the x-king as the best front tyre

I'm running one up front. Loving the grip and feel of it, very predictable, doesn't float on sand like a other tyres I've ridden, mated to a Crossmark rear. For R350 at CWC today, just buy it....now, go do it!  :clap:

Great on the front for XC stuff, rewards aggressive riding and punishes noodling through corners. There's quite a gap between the intermediate and side lugs that can make you feel like you're washing out, but the side lugs will catch you.

They do suck a bit on the snotty stuff though, but far less than something like an Ikon.

Currently running x-king prot 2.2 front (tubeless), race king 2.2 UST back for XC (2.4 front seems to get a bit tractor wheel to me). Pain in the arse to set up, but won't fail for ages so won't be taking them off for a while. Haven't had a flat since I fitted them 2 years ago. The race king does turn into a slick in mud though.

I liked a full 2.25 (or 2.25 + 2.1) Ralph evo setup, tyres got a bit shredded though and I found the front grip on my x-king to be a bit more trustworthy/predicable.

I do like mixing up a x-king front and ralph rear (yes I'm one of those people.. brands.. ugh) Really liked the grip on loose sand/rock during climbs and cornering, while remaining nice and fast-rolling.

Furious Freds are also freeking fast, ridiculously lightweight and surprisingly good in the wet (nothing for mud to stick to). I just could not trust the paper-thin sidewalls.

I'm running 2.25 ardents up front, and like them so much they are going on the back. I've ordered some 2.4's for the front from wiggle because I can't find them locally. Can't wait for them!

I'm running 2.25 ardents up front, and like them so much they are going on the back. I've ordered some 2.4's for the front from wiggle because I can't find them locally. Can't wait for them!

Yep, our friendly local distributors don't bring in even a third of Maxxis's range. Apparently all the local market wants is 29" Crossmarks and Ikons. Yawn.

I'd love to stock tubeless Ardents, High Roller 2s and a few others beside, but fortunately Onza are filling the gap locally. They've got some really decent high volume stuff for reasonable prices. Definitely worth a look.

Yep, our friendly local distributors don't bring in even a third of Maxxis's range. Apparently all the local market wants is 29" Crossmarks and Ikons. Yawn.

I'd love to stock tubeless Ardents, High Roller 2s and a few others beside, but fortunately Onza are filling the gap locally. They've got some really decent high volume stuff for reasonable prices. Definitely worth a look.

Yip. I really really wanted the tan walled ardents for my single speed, but alas. No local stock. They would have looked sick!

Thanks, I'll check out the onza stuff!

Archived