2 x 10 or 3 x 10

RMmtb8r

Can someone please tell me what the advantages are of running 1x10, other than the cool factor. (Please don't mention the 397g saving)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely cross chaining is a problem with 1 by 10 setups ?? Its the only thing stopping me from going 1 by 9 or 1 by 10.

Edited by Mountain-Goat

Can someone please tell me what the advantages are of running 1x10, other than the cool factor. (Please don't mention the 397g saving)

That's the only benefit....... Mates of mine on 1x10/11 all moan a lot when they get the front blade ratio wrong, they suffer. Where 2x10/11 you have a bail out gear.

The overlap on a 2x10/11 is smaller than 3x10/11 thus the gears you have you use correctly.........that's my view

I don't think it's a case of advantages... I believe it's more about preference. I prefer my 1x10 setup because I couldn't learn to be in the right gear on 2x10 and kept being caught out by sudden steep climbs. I also used to get a lot of chain suck. In 1x10, It's really easy for me to find the right gear really fast, and zero chain suck. I also find it really nice and quiet.

Some prefer the ability to quickly dump or gain gears using the Front Derailleur... I just couldn't get the hang of it.

Edited by DomP

That's the only benefit....... Mates of mine on 1x10/11 all moan a lot when they get the front blade ratio wrong, they suffer. Where 2x10/11 you have a bail out gear.

The overlap on a 2x10/11 is smaller than 3x10/11 thus the gears you have you use correctly.........that's my view ������

Bullcrap.

Less gumpf on the bars, less complexity, better chainring clearance in tech situations. Easier to find a gear that works. Less cabling, and you're pretty much guaranteed to retain the majority of your ACTUAL utilized gear ratios if you're clever about your chainring choice.

Both 2x10 and 3x10 offer an amazing amount of crossover. 1x10 is less suited to those who use their granny all the time, but 1x11 is the way forward.

Bullcrap.

Less gumpf on the bars, less complexity, better chainring clearance in tech situations. Easier to find a gear that works. Less cabling, and you're pretty much guaranteed to retain the majority of your ACTUAL utilized gear ratios if you're clever about your chainring choice.

Both 2x10 and 3x10 offer an amazing amount of crossover. 1x10 is less suited to those who use their granny all the time, but 1x11 is the way forward.

Sjoe.......only my opinion, geuss I should keep it to myself then,for future posts. :(

Sjoe.......only my opinion, geuss I should keep it to myself then,for future posts. :(

No, it's more a case of you stating that the weight loss is the only advantage, as if it is a fact, when in actual fact, there are various things to consider when / if going 1x.

Your opinion would have been something along the lines of "1x is not for me as I believe / have heard / was told" etc

That said - the arguments AGAINST 1x are also varied. Less choice (especially if you go 1x10 without one of the 42 / 40t cassette options with your 1x)

Less top end, especially if you're in to marathons and so on.

Less potential bail out gears (also, especially if you're not going true 1x11 or 1x10 without the 42/40t cassette) and also more chance of choosing the wrong chainring for your purposes.

At the end of the day, you need to determine what works for you, while looking at the available options and gear ranges. If the majority of your riding is spent in one of your rings, then 1x is for you. If you use the entire range of your 2x or 3x crankset, and don't have the cash to splash on an X01 cassette and RD / Shifter combo, or one of the available 40/42t conversion options, then 2x or 3x is for you.

If you spin out on the flats, but still battle to climb, then 2x or 3x is for you.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem