Franschhoek area trails info

Tubehunter

Hello,

Anyone got any info regarding riding in the area?? Spending next weekend the 15th, 16th and 17th August in the Hoek (Not to be confused for the surf spot in Noordhoek, but rather Franschhoek). Yep taken the Friday off and will look to do a lunchtime ride on that day too.

See there are 3 trails available on mtbroutes.co.za:

Staying in a B&B in town and hoping to ride from there to and fro. Any locals on here who can shed some light on which are the most enjoyable and current status of trails? The Zachariashoek trails are closed according to the link. Not sure how up to date the info is though.

Shot a lot!

Jay

zachariashoek 'should' be open, it was closed due to a fire last january.

matoppie is the only actual trail i know of that's been set up as a going ride - by the local cycle club.

you can ride at solms delta too, mainly vineyard/orchard stuff but quite cool along the river

Best oke to ask is geddan ruddock/ franchhoek cycles

zachariashoek 'should' be open, it was closed due to a fire last january.

matoppie is the only actual trail i know of that's been set up as a going ride - by the local cycle club.

you can ride at solms delta too, mainly vineyard/orchard stuff but quite cool along the river

Best oke to ask is geddan ruddock/ franchhoek cycles

Schweeet. Will do!

Hello,

Anyone got any info regarding riding in the area?? Spending next weekend the 15th, 16th and 17th August in the Hoek (Not to be confused for the surf spot in Noordhoek, but rather Franschhoek). Yep taken the Friday off and will look to do a lunchtime ride on that day too.

Staying in a B&B in town and hoping to ride from there to and fro. Any locals on here who can shed some light on which are the most enjoyable and current status of trails? The Zachariashoek trails are closed according to the link. Not sure how up to date the info is though.

Shot a lot!

Jay

I'm not a local so cannot comment on which is best, but did ride Matoppie in April. Also stayed in town and could ride there and back. Very nice, peaceful (saw few people on the way there and none on the trail) and challenging ride. Just need to "hou kop"... I got lost a few times. Probablly bets to get gpx data if you ride with a gps.

Enjoy!

Hello,

Shot a lot!

Jay

Also google Welvanspas and Rhebokskloof.Wellington and Paarl respectively.Cult status allready..

Close by and definately top 10 in Country....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Any updates on Franschhoek trails as this Fred is a couple of years old now, spending a weekend with SO in 2 weeks time and I've been given permission to take my bike along (I love my wife!).

Go do an early morning ride at Rhebokskloof in Paarl, about 30km away but you won't stop smiling afterwards. Or be really nice to your wife and get her to shuttle you up for a few runs down the Taalmonument trail. You'll be grinning like a kid. Don't miss out on the carrot cake and beer at the monument afterwards, their carrot cake alone is worth the drive.

subscribe ....

close enough to drive out for the day.  would love to ride in this area.

I know you can buy a day permit "in town" (dont know where) and then cycle to South towards the source of the dam ..... we were there with 4x4's a few years back.  Not "single track" stuff, still a very nice scenic ride that I would like to do on a bicycle.

would appreciate current information on this and other trails in the area ....

always nice if the trail starts on a farm with a restaurant .... wife has a coffee while Maritz and I do a ride ...

Go do an early morning ride at Rhebokskloof in Paarl, about 30km away but you won't stop smiling afterwards. Or be really nice to your wife and get her to shuttle you up for a few runs down the Taalmonument trail. You'll be grinning like a kid. Don't miss out on the carrot cake and beer at the monument afterwards, their carrot cake alone is worth the drive.

Unfortunately I don't have permission to be away for the WHOLE morning (Anniversary weekend and all that) was more looking for something in Franschhoek that I could ride to. I'll check with the local bike shop as I believe they issue permits to ride alongside the dam. Thanks for the tips though, definitely need to go ride in "die Paarl" sometime soon.

Any updates on Franschhoek trails as this Fred is a couple of years old now, spending a weekend with SO in 2 weeks time and I've been given permission to take my bike along (I love my wife!).

Boschendal is 25km away with really nice single track. Check out the website - steep climbs but definitely worth it

• 4 months later...

Hey All

I frequent the Groot Drakenstein/Boschendal area and will be there this Easter long weekend.

Anyone know of some cool dirt road routes please? Looking for distance, elevation and preferably some pretty sights too...

Thinking of hooking up Paarl Mountain and Franschoek Pass, possibly Wemmershoek/Zachariashoek somewhere?

TIA x

Archived