C4 Cycles Fail - FiT Sportslab Major Win

ValeYellow

Firstly I said "What i'd like to mention is that in none of my statements ,have I mentioned that its a breeze and just a quick call to the Consumer Council to get anything resolved"

which translates to my second statement in that same paragraph"the time frames and hairloss can be an obstacle for most people to pursue their issue"

If you misinterpret it as easy then... so be it

Secondly ..With regard to your CPA comment... are you refering to the addendums or the original act that still is in operation?

There are numerous editions on the web ranging from 15 to 120 pages.

also a lot of clauses have to be read in conjunction with corresponding clauses in the Industry Code of Conduct and corresponding clauses in The Standards Act.

I am not replying here on a forum,in a legal capacity,so I'm not gonna waste my time quoting exact clauses from the relevant gazzettes.

Most.. if not all brands with international affiliation or otherwise ...use the standard basic minimum of 12 months warranty,which automatically overides a simple sub clause of a certain clause in the CPA act,but does not mean the rest of the act is automatically null and void,far from it...

It would be ludicrous for suppliers to amend their conditions to suit RSA's current climate if they are exporting products worldwide,thats why the international minimum requirements are offered to South African consumers as part and parcel of the item purchased.

The mere fact that they all offer 12,24,36,48mths etc etc instead of the min 6 mths,is irrelevant when you look at the whole picture,

Its absurd to even consider a retailer here,representing the suppliers,quote the gazzetted 6mths on behalf of the brands name to minimize his obligations and costs when an issue of warranty arises.

Which brings me back to common courtesy and regardless how anyone translates the CPA act with or without addendums and refernces to other acts bla bla bla...

If retailers stick to basic trusted principals,go over and beyond them, like the majors are doing with their "no question asked" and "change of mind is ok" principles,

we all wouldnt feel shafted every time we have an unfortunate mishap with one of our simple purchases,

which in turn would lessen the burden on the CC,shorten the timelengths on genuine applications

and we wouldnt need to read and reply to re-occuring topics in forums like these(although its fun to do so)

So, to me,there seems to be a problem with the whole system,which involves retailers and consumers and it appears to be a bigger problem here than in other countries that i've lived in,which are by no means immune to it.

This post reminds me of a dog chasing its tail. It serves no purpose, and only the dog that's doing it understands it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All in good humour...

Ok,simple... let's summerize it in one sentence then :

You've got 12mths warranty on 99% of things you buy,warranty is from the original date of purchase and unless you want to joing the Kojak ranks dont approach the CC.

Anyone disagrees with that?

Then start a new topic on new items purchased with 6mths warranty.....

Lets leave the legal blabber to me and anyone who cares

Edited by exsanguinator

look.. if one person benefits from all this and has a few days warranty left on his item and stands his ground?

Then... so be it

Theres bad apples on both side of the fence in every facets of society

There's more shoppers than retailers so it's a no brainer which bag of bad apples is the biggest

Edited by exsanguinator

heres a good example of the mnf stepping in and taking over an issue that was not resolved at retail level

This issue couldve gone on and on and on if the retailer/repairer stood by its decision... instead of initially liasing with Sony to see what could be done on the customers behalf to replace the fone at the beginning...

But its more profitable for the service provider to keep on servicing the fone,change this,change that and keep on invoicing Sony on work done

Or they couldve just invoiced Sony a set minimum fee for a replacement unit

Instead Sony was notified through social media to the inefficiencies of its service providers

http://www.fin24.com...roblem-20140811

Edited by exsanguinator

Ok so to conclude, Gavin has just left my place, he replaced both ratchet systems which was very unexpected as I only expected him to replace the broken one. Big thumbs up to Gavin, I am a client for life. :clap:

Now if someone could explain to me - in like bullet point form - how to edit the titel of this post, that would be great.

Ok so to conclude, Gavin has just left my place, he replaced both ratchet systems which was very unexpected as I only expected him to replace the broken one. Big thumbs up to Gavin, I am a client for life. :clap:

Now if someone could explain to me - in like bullet point form - how to edit the titel of this post, that would be great.

Go to your original post. Click edit. Then click "use full editor".

Irrespective of the manufacturers conditions of warranty, the law or CPA compels them to repair, replace or refund if they break within 6 months. You as the consumer has the right to choose which of the three options you want.

C4 Cycles in Randpark Ridge, located in the shopping centre between CR Swart and Ysterhout on Beyers Naude

Edited by ivr32

Irrespective of the manufacturers conditions of warranty, the law or CPA compels them to repair, replace or refund if they break within 6 months. You as the consumer has the right to choose which of the three options you want.

Totally correct !

The CPA stipulates the minimum requirements of 6 mths with repair, replace or refund

The mnf is bound to match or better that clause,

they(mnf) prefer to increase it to international minimum standards of 12 mths,

the loophole for consumers is that the mnf cant choose which part of the clause to increase,

its all or nothing

They either offer the min 6mths(repair, replace or refund)in RSA only

or they increase it to 12mths which automtically extends the repair, replace or refund part for the consumers benefit

The problem arises when the consumer doesnt read the fine print and forgets that normal wear and tear/original packaging/condition of item,can,in the opinion of the retailer at POS,contravene the mnf requirements for warranty,

that is where the customer service debacle becomes a grey area and open to interpretation by both parties involved

sending the customer to the CC and then the complete CPA rules are applied in conjunction with the Industry Code of Conduct and corresponding clauses in The Standards Act.

Which...might be the reason there are a lot more bald people walking around now than years ago..or not?

Edited by exsanguinator

Conrad has lost many customers because of his FU attitude. I bought many bikes from him over the years but I will not set foot near his shop again. Very very rude man

its pretty sad though as he has just started up his shop / retail outlet and I really wanted to support the guy as much as possible, I have sent a number of my cycling mates his way, but yeah I'm dissapointed by them (him and his son). About a month ago I needed to fit a crown race and took it past them to do for me, crown race and fork was in the car and I happened to be driving past, so ANY excuse to stop at a bike shop. His son fitted the crown race with a BB tool (that half moon one for the shimano external BB) and ended up gauging the thing like you have now idea. Looked like it had been on a date with a chainsaw, had a similar discussion as with the ratchet system with his son who said if I wanted a new crown race I would have to pay for it. Conrad was around and overheard us and said it was cool, and replaced the crown race FOC. Anyway, onwards and upwards.