Where to Start and Who to Believe

Farly

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the idea of cycling for fun/recreation. The last time I was on a bike was more than 17 years ago and things have certainly changed since then. I find myself overwhelmed when visiting a cycle shop. I really don't want a sales rep to talk a hole in my head into buying something I don't really need. I hope you guys can put me on the right track so to speak. But with that I suppose you will need to know what I'm looking for.

Well I would prefer to get a MTB and get my fitness up again. I also don't want to spent 10k on a bike as a start up either. I would also like to know if there is a place for newbies like myself to go and ride on weekends. I'm in Johannesburg / Westrand area.

Feel free to let me know should you have any questions.

Farly.

Halo Farly,had the same conversation with someone looking to start riding earlier today.

In youre price bracket I would suggest looking at second hand bikes.

I would say look at 26ers,you can get some good bikes with good components for little money in this catagory.

If you want to go for a 29ers you can also get a few good deals on nice bikes for youre money.

A 26er will give you better handling in tight turns and a 29er will roll better on long open flats.

Good luck with the bike hunting.

Halo Farly,had the same conversation with someone looking to start riding earlier today.

I would say look at 26ers,you can get some good bikes with good components for little money in this catagory.

If you want to go for a 29ers you can also get a few good deals on nice bikes for youre money.

A 26er will give you better handling in tight turns and a 29er will roll better on long open flats.

Thank you Reaper, I was also thinking that it might be best to rather look as a second hand bike to start out with. If the cycle bug bites then I could always upgrade at a later stage.

YOU are going to have to do the homework and don't be haastig.

The local bike shop is biased but so are most of your buddies.And opinions can be overwhelming.

Maybe buy second hand at around R4 ride for a while and see what kind of riding you prefer and then buy something you want.

Read on the web about all the different types of riding and go to youtube.

YOU are going to have to do the homework and don't be haastig.

The local bike shop is biased but so are most of your buddies.And opinions can be overwhelming.

Maybe buy second hand at around R4 ride for a while and see what kind of riding you prefer and then buy something you want.

Read on the web about all the different types of riding and go to youtube.

Thanks porqui,

That is why I'm here asking, looking and browsing the "interwebs". And I've noticed that biased opinion of the cycle shops you talk of. The ones I visited all had a different recommendation and it can get very confusing for a newbie.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Whereabouts do you live, and where do you plan on riding? How much under 10k are you looking to spend?

The more you spend now the less you will have to upgrade later, going too cheap will cost you in enjoyment and replacement costs. At under 10k I would look at a hardtail, as opposed to a full suspension bike, you will get better components and a lighter build with less servicing and maintenance costs, less to go wrong.

Also factor in the kit (helmet, gloves, shoes, bibs and top) to your budget and a skills clinic will probably be your best investment.

Full sus 26er scott bikes were going for a song. I think my buddy paid 13k-15k for a brand new scott full sus with Shimano XT components. Bike originally retailed for 25k

Edited by YUMEYA

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the idea of cycling for fun/recreation. The last time I was on a bike was more than 17 years ago and things have certainly changed since then. I find myself overwhelmed when visiting a cycle shop. I really don't want a sales rep to talk a hole in my head into buying something I don't really need. I hope you guys can put me on the right track so to speak. But with that I suppose you will need to know what I'm looking for.

Well I would prefer to get a MTB and get my fitness up again. I also don't want to spent 10k on a bike as a start up either. I would also like to know if there is a place for newbies like myself to go and ride on weekends. I'm in Johannesburg / Westrand area.

Feel free to let me know should you have any questions.

Farly.

get a 2nd hand one, the classifieds here are great. Much more bang for your buck.

Just take note that thehubsa can also be biased.

:ph34r:

But plenty of help.

Edited by porqui

hi Farly, i was in exactly the same position a a few years ago and feel your pain.

what worked for me is taking a small step before jumping in, ill list my experiences and if they were good or bad and you can take form it what you like and what works fr you, if nothing does then thats also cool as i say this was my experience.i think i should point out that all my bikes have been 26" and have no hate as such for other wheel sizes but money and preference for me has dictated that i ride smaller wheels

• i always wanted to buy a MTB and had seen a few videos of guys doing crazy stuff( like red bull rampage) but had no clue as to the complexity of all the tech etc. i also had no idea of the differences between full sus hardtail etc, apart from the obvious stuff like a rear shock i had no idea if the ride was better, worse or indifferent apart from being softer on my bum.-GOOD
  • i bought a R3500 giant hardtail with ok components, purely cause i didn't know if the sport was for me or not. i loved that bike and rode the crap out of it as often as i could( by that i mean sat and Sunday at northern farms and thats it).- GOOD
  • i realized i loved cycling and bought( what for me was the most expensive toy i had ever owned) an 8k merida still a hardtail.- GOOD
  • didnt upgrade this at all but did realize my ass and back got very sore on long rides so bought a second hand full sus frame and built across all the kit( didnt work out well as i also rode the crap out of it and realized i should be on an AM type rig due to me jumping etc and smashed the frame to bits.- BAD
  • then spent some decent ash and bought a new merida 120, again loved the bike and rode it very hard with a few small upgrades like new bars etc.- GOOD
  • my next 2 bikes have been the reason i live for the last 3 years and now i realise i am a cyclist not just a guy that plays on expensive toys occasionally.- GOOD
  • cycling is more expensive than caviar, heroin or anything else you can imagine being really expensive or addictive.- EISH BAD
  • i now have 7 bike and live by the formula that the perfect number of bikes to own is n+1. i think GOOD my wife however tends to disagree at times.
  • i have kit that has cost a small fortune and battle scars that chicks "dig" from buying pieces of property all over our beautiful land( that means crashing in case you didn't realise.)

that has been my experience and i know i could have done things differently and cheaper but hey hindsight is an exact science. would i change anything- no not likely.

my advice is buy a cheap second hand bike that has disc brakes and see how you feel after a few weaks or months and then decide what direction you want to go in terms of cycling. ignore the wheel hype as far as possible and get a bike thats all. be it 26", 29" or even a 650b if you can find on in your budget. i was very lucky i sold my first bike for what i paid so for me i only gained from the experience. i am not saying all cheap bikes are good, not by a long shot, but if you stick to the bigger brands you should be ok.

i do not profess to be wise or have all he answers but this worked for me and looking back i think i tackled the task in the most logical way with small steps building up to spending stupid money on my love of cycling.

Edited by DaddyG

Popcorn time...

And don't let anybody tell you that you need a 29"bike !!

Noted, thanks dirt rider. Comfort is also very important so I will try the different options for something I feel comfortable with.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Whereabouts do you live, and where do you plan on riding? How much under 10k are you looking to spend?

The more you spend now the less you will have to upgrade later, going too cheap will cost you in enjoyment and replacement costs. At under 10k I would look at a hardtail, as opposed to a full suspension bike, you will get better components and a lighter build with less servicing and maintenance costs, less to go wrong.

Hi North,

I'm about 1.67 m short and weigh 75 Kg.

Hardtail seems the way to go. I was quoted on a Merida Big Nine 40 / 400 (2015 model.!?) R 7,000.00.