Cleats - recommendations on brand and setup.

Pieter-za

Dear all

OK - I did some searches on the Forum but perhaps not good enough to find the proper info so here goes.

My daughter got Olympic MTB cleats, so two questions:

1) Recommended pedals?

2) Recommended LBS (Centurion area) for setup, as I believe it is quite NB to do it correctly.

My 'research' up to now shows Crank Brothers, Candy etc are perhaps 'not as good / limited lifespan' as Shimano, and require more rigorous maintenance?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Pieter

Edited by Pieter-za

Dear all

OK - I did some searches on the Forum but perhaps not good enough to find the proper info so here goes.

My daughter got Olympic MTB cleats, so two questions:

1) Recommended pedals?

2) Recommended LBS (Centurion area) for setup, as I believe it is quite NB to do it correctly.

My 'research' up to now shows Crank Brothers, Candy etc are perhaps 'not as good / limited lifespan' as Shimano, and require more rigorous maintenance?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Pieter

So how much time do you have. This could get verrrrrry long. Pedals are very subjective and everybody likes their brand. A very good option to start with are the Shimano M520 (No platform) or the M530(With Platform). They feel great, can use multi release cleats that release easier than normal while learning and are by all accounts bulletproof. I started with the M530 as I like the little buffer if I struggle to clip in. Price is also great at under R500.

EDIT: For the second part of your question, I only recieved great service from Epic Cycles(CNR Jean and Lenchen), although you can do the setup yourself, very easy.

For Cranbrothers I'll let someone else comment as I never used them.

Edited by Vangar

My daughter rides with ryder spd,s ,same as shimano .Turn the screw that tightens the cleat fit all the way to the negative 'LOOSE" side

A set of Shimano 520 SPD's are cheap, give a positive connection and are bomb proof! I've got a set of 540's and I'm very happy with them. They just a slightly lighter version on the 520's.

Crankbros Candy's from what I've heard, you either love them or hate them. They have a lot of float.

I'll put it straight.

I’ve recently moved from Crank Brothers back to Shimano - I used CB exclusively for about 8 years but found the constant maintenance and noise made from them was too much.

I’m now on a set of Shimano M530 and love them to bits. No noise no ****.

What cleat/pedal combination do I need?

Are you a Mountain Biker? Then consider…

• Shimano SPD (Shimano Pedaling Dynamics) – SPDs were the first mass produced off road clip-in system and still remain the most popular. They are well known for their performance on the trail and their durability.

• Crank Brothers – The Egg Beater style mechanism on Crank Brothers pedals sheds mud well and allows you to clip in on four sides. They do however require more maintenance than some of the competition.

• Time ATAC – Another long time favourite with mountain bikers and cyclocross racers alike. Favoured for its good mud shedding abilities and consistent engagement and release, even in the worst conditions.

• Speedplay Frog – As with their road pedals, Speedplay have incorporated the mechanism within the cleat rather than the pedal. They have a good reputation for durability and plenty of float but the cleats are larger than most and some shoes may require slight modification, to the tread, to fit.

I used Shimano 520's till about 4 months ago and switched over to Crankbrother Candies. I wanted something with a bit more contact between the shoe and the pedal. When Bicicletta had their clearance sale I couldn't help myself.

The float from the CB's are nice aswell. I am very happy with the CB's and can't see myself changing to another brand quickly unless something major happens that destroys my confidence in the CB's. The Shimano's was a bit easier to get in and out of at first till I got used to the CB's.

If you go with Shimano's be sure to set the cleat up to allow for the natural angle of the feet. Don't just put the cleats straight as that can result in knee pain over time. I had to play around with the position of the cleat aswell to find a comfortable fit.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Add to the list Look STrack. Zero maintenance other than an occasional quick zap with Q20. And I get out of those quicker and more consistently than I ever did with any Shimano's. And a nice platform to pedal on.

I prefer my Looks to any other pedals, have tried Shimano and Crank Brothers....Shimano are ok, but take time to learn how to clip in, Crank Brothers are VERY tight and are harder to clip out of....

Looks just work....not too hard to use at all, you may just need to trim some of the rubber around the cleat section of the show to allow clearance for any pedals