diy fork replacement

ecotech84

Hey guys

Im looking at replacing my front forks on my mtb . I currently have suntour entry level forks on which I want to replace with rock shocks (airshocks) that I can adjust . Is it possible to replace the forks myself or do I need special tools to do it ?

Hi,

Rather let the LBS do the fitment if you are unsure. The fork may have to be cut to size, new bearings fitted etc etc. if you don't have the right tools you could damage the new fork and it's just plain frustrating then......

Your LBS will more than likely fit the new fork for free. So in short, it's not that difficult, many of us do it ourselves, but it could just be frustrating the first time round if one does not know what to do exactly. Why not go and stand with them in the workshop while they do it so you know how things go together :)

Ussualy its just plug and play swapping forks around. Just make sure you have enough spacers, if the steerer is longer. Only thing that ussualy gives me hassles is removing the crown race, which is the ring on the fork which allows it to move on the bearing on the headset.

Other than that, watch a vid on youtube and you'll be able to swop it yourself. Nothing heavy technical involved.

I watched a youtube clip I have a pipe cutter to cut the steerer. Its just getting the 15mm nut inside the steerer

then I'd say go bike shop, nut is a tricky part. I never knock that in. Like biersteker said, the bike shop will install fork it for free or for a minimal fee like R20 while you stand and wait/watch.

I watched a youtube clip I have a pipe cutter to cut the steerer. Its just getting the 15mm nut inside the steerer

Careful with using a pipe cutter, it can flare the top of the tube and make it very difficult to get the headset parts and stem on.

A bush mechanic way of getting the star nut in. Get a Smallish Phillips screwdriver, and poke it into the hole. Then line up the star nut and start tapping slowly (but quite forcefully) so that you ease the star nut in to the steerer.

Stop klapping it when the top of the nut is 5mm or so below the lip of the steerer.