Vipa, Element 970, Carbon Comp or Anthem

Alph7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So many great bikes and great advice. Good advice from GrantRH is to go with my heart.

Decided on Epic Comp Carbon

Added SWAT kit

Added Roval Control Carbon wheels

With all extras just over "budget" (R50k).

Good looking bike too in black with white line.

Thanks again!

So many great bikes and great advice. Good advice from GrantRH is to go with my heart.

Added SWAT kit

Thanks again!

Well done dude. Like I said, its the only choice. I know you will love every second of it. Rules of the hub require pikchas :thumbup: . When the beast arrives, dont dissapoint us.

Added SWAT kit

Thanks again!

Woohoo, feel like I won a prize.

Great choice Alph. I still get excited just seeing my Epic standing and waiting for a ride. Every time I get on my bike I immediately know that I made the right choice.

Pics please...

Another Epic, I would have taken the Vipa without 2nd thought.

Vipa has a 3 year gaurantee on the frame, and the Epic has a lifetime gaurantee. Maybe you should think again buddy.

Vipa has a 3 year gaurantee on the frame, and the Epic has a lifetime gaurantee. Maybe you should think again buddy.

Lifetime, according to specialized. They assume what the regular "life cycle" of a frame would be in the primary owner's hands, and then cut it at that. Probably find it's around the 3 to 5 year range.

EDIT: That's the same for any company that boasts a "lifetime" guarantee... It's not worth the paper / email it's written on.

There may be exceptions in certain places, of course.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Lifetime, according to specialized. They assume what the regular "life cycle" of a frame would be in the primary owner's hands, and then cut it at that. Probably find it's around the 3 to 5 year range.

EDIT: That's the same for any company that boasts a "lifetime" guarantee... It's not worth the paper / email it's written on.

There may be exceptions in certain places, of course.

Some of my mates have bikes that are 8 years old. I have a Spez that is 5 years old. You yourself have mentioned numerous times you intend to keep your bike a loooong time. At least they have the confidence to back their product.

My lbs told me today that they, and quite a few other shops are no longer selling Momsen because of various frame issues.

Some of my mates have bikes that are 8 years old. I have a Spez that is 5 years old. You yourself have mentioned numerous times you intend to keep your bike a loooong time. At least they have the confidence to back their product.

My lbs told me today that they, and quite a few other shops are no longer selling Momsen because of various frame issues.

Yeah, but I bought mine 2nd hand, so the warranty doesn't apply to me.

My point is - the "lifetiime guarantee" is highly subjective. It takes into account the type of riding a artivular bike may have done, and the amount of time a particular frame is, on average, likely to spend in a single person's hands.

Frame issues can be sorted. Momsen have done it, Giant have done it on their Anthem frames that broke at the top tube / seat tube junction, and have replaced some linkages on the Reign X (my era) when they broke due to a design flaw that only came to light under repetitive pedalling action, thanks to a cutout that was put iin to clear an ISCG mount.

But yeah - lifetime does not equal YOUR lifetime. It's the commonly accepted lifetime of a frame, as set out by Spaz (and other Lifetime Gtee backers) in the hands of the original owner.