Tri Rock half in Cradle

IceCreamMan

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest notmyname

Good luck all. My lady friend is doing massage for those weary legs. Take advantage she's amazing.

My understanding based on cummunication that I have seen is that when challenged by residents Trirock could not supply proof of road closures approval.

So not sure how to conclude on this race.... Organisation leading up to the event left a lot the imagination. Last minute route issues... Have my doubts that we know the real story

Then today... First off the cradle is an amazing place to hold an event like this and Heia Safari is an epic venue. It has all the ingredients to be a massive event. In terms if execution I don't think the guys did better than 5/10. Look they did a lot right, but given that they have done two of these in Durban some things were very disappointing:

First off HOW HARD IS IT TO GET THE DISTANCES RIGHT. I entered a 113km event but yet every leg of the race was short. Completely unacceptable.

Secondly, road closure? Really? Almost got taken out by cars on MuLTIPLE times. Also no one had a clue on the road and cyclists were everywhere - almost had head ons with guys in the race as well as other random cyclists. The second lap was much better from a direction perspective.

Anyway - like I said. I had a blast and maybe that's all that counts... Hope I can walk tomorrow

So not sure how to conclude on this race.... Organisation leading up to the event left a lot the imagination. Last minute route issues... Have my doubts that we know the real story

Then today... First off the cradle is an amazing place to hold an event like this and Heia Safari is an epic venue. It has all the ingredients to be a massive event. In terms if execution I don't think the guys did better than 5/10. Look they did a lot right, but given that they have done two of these in Durban some things were very disappointing:

First off HOW HARD IS IT TO GET THE DISTANCES RIGHT. I entered a 113km event but yet every leg of the race was short. Completely unacceptable.

Secondly, road closure? Really? Almost got taken out by cars on MuLTIPLE times. Also no one had a clue on the road and cyclists were everywhere - almost had head ons with guys in the race as well as other random cyclists. The second lap was much better from a direction perspective.

Anyway - like I said. I had a blast and maybe that's all that counts... Hope I can walk tomorrow

And.....they got the distance wrong on finishers t shirt...133 instead of 113...

Did see an accident too girl hit car , make that car hit girl....

Road closures should of been enforced as cyclists everywhere incl non competitors making it more complicated...

Tough event....also had mechanic issue with bike for last 50 km as I could not stop pedaling otherwise chain came off...cassette kept spinning...

Great training though...toughest run ever for me in Tri....

And.....they got the distance wrong on finishers t shirt...133 instead of 113...

Did see an accident too girl hit car , make that car hit girl....

Road closures should of been enforced as cyclists everywhere incl non competitors making it more complicated...

Tough event....also had mechanic issue with bike for last 50 km as I could not stop pedaling otherwise chain came off...cassette kept spinning...

Great training though...toughest run ever for me in Tri....

Haha didn't even notice the shirt... I got 101km on the clock...

Speedy recovery and wishes to the girl.

Any idea of where to get results? After Durban was available instantly....

As for road closures the organisers of the Bridgetone Route 66 changed the route because of this. We got an extra 4kms thanks to the tri event who had preference.

Great location, very tough race but very very poor organisation. 

I would be very surprised if these guys do Trirock Durban. With Ironman going to Durbs in August it is going to be very tough for them to get a decent field for Trirock in October.

Pity....... this event had the potential to be great.

can somebody please explain this brain-fart that tri-organizers had in recent with your with this whole "cycle on the right" BS?

Never used to be the deal, but seems that since IM came along with the stay right pass left rule (apparently because its an international race with international rules), every race seems to follow suit.

So now that everybody is on the wrong side of the road to start with, nobody knows whether they should stay left and pass right or stay right and pass left. The on-top of that, the support cars were driving on the "normal" side of the road, hence coming head-on towards the cyclists. One one or two occasions it was shockingly scary. Same stupid rule was enforces at Germiston tri a few weeks back?

I didn't take part today, but was a normal cyclist on te road. I tried my best to stay out of the way of the athletes (and support cars) but because NO ONE understands the rules, it was impossible to do so.

Please people we live in SA. SA has its own traffic rules, so lets keep to it. Nobody is impressed with this "international rules" BS and its just dangerous for everybody!

PS i've taken part in more than 30 triathlons over the years, so I'm not anti-tri, I'm anti stupid rules

The change in course is unfortunate. It will be full 90km.

Today residents put broken glass on the road to interfere with the CradleRock race. Full road closure was approved by the Municipality. The Race Director changed the course for the the Athletes' safety.

Probably the same narrow minded individuals who put thumb tacks on the road previously.

As for having cyclists and runners on the same stretch of road, this is a big road with good lane marking it is a complete non issue.

Did the organiser have authorisation from only Mogale City or from Gautrans as well as apparently it has to come from Gautrans?

The change in course is unfortunate. It will be full 90km.

Today residents put broken glass on the road to interfere with the CradleRock race. Full road closure was approved by the Municipality. The Race Director changed the course for the the Athletes' safety.

Probably the same narrow minded individuals who put thumb tacks on the road previously.

As for having cyclists and runners on the same stretch of road, this is a big road with good lane marking it is a complete non issue.

Davem seems you too got lied to about a definite 90km

And no medals...sniff sniff

I don't care too much medals so that's ok. But I know a lot of other people that care... a lot

Davem seems you too got lied to about a definite 90km

That is what Till said at the Saturday briefing. Oh well.

Archived