Power meter or Groupset?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies.

I tried looking into getting an 11 tooth cassette or a 52 tooth big ring, but its hard to find a 9spd 11 tooth cassette, and the 11 cassette would give me a better ratio than a 52 - 12.

I am quite a numbers geek (studying BSc in Human phys and Biochem) and read quite a bit on training techniques and how to analyse power, so I don't think that the analysis etc. using the power meter would be too much of a problem. I won a free program at Cadence Cycling centre in Durbanville and have been using the Cycleops there, which is the first time I have ever ridden with power. I find it much better than just heart rate, especially when doing intervals and knowing what w/kg you need to sustain for certain events/races. Also monitoring actual training improvement based on outputs at heart rate vs just feeling better. Some days i feel bad but still produce good numbers while others i don't produce so well but feel good. It just seems like a much better investment.

Does anybody know someone who can get hold of a 9spd 11 tooth cassette please?

@Thomo - roughly 14k if i save up until November.

Dude - that's more than enought o get you a decent power meter as well as a groupset upgrade.

For example, there's a Sram Red groupo advertised for R5.5k.

Granted, that's the exeption, but Ultegra and similar groups are often available @ similar if not better prices.

And PM's can be had for R6 - 10k.

:thumbup:

A 9spd group does beg the question "what bike are you riding.?"

You may want to consider a complete bike upgrade.

Edited by Thomo

Thanks for the replies.

I tried looking into getting an 11 tooth cassette or a 52 tooth big ring, but its hard to find a 9spd 11 tooth cassette, and the 11 cassette would give me a better ratio than a 52 - 12.

I am quite a numbers geek (studying BSc in Human phys and Biochem) and read quite a bit on training techniques and how to analyse power, so I don't think that the analysis etc. using the power meter would be too much of a problem. I won a free program at Cadence Cycling centre in Durbanville and have been using the Cycleops there, which is the first time I have ever ridden with power. I find it much better than just heart rate, especially when doing intervals and knowing what w/kg you need to sustain for certain events/races. Also monitoring actual training improvement based on outputs at heart rate vs just feeling better. Some days i feel bad but still produce good numbers while others i don't produce so well but feel good. It just seems like a much better investment.

Does anybody know someone who can get hold of a 9spd 11 tooth cassette please?

Considering this

Powermeter.... you have the knowledge and background, you just need the tool

A 9spd group does beg the question "what bike are you riding.?"

You may want to consider a complete bike upgrade.

What size do you ride.?

Perhaps I'll sell you my bike including power meter. :)

Is your goal to finish, or to race?

You will be able to get a new Tiagra 9 speed 11 tooth cassette if you look around a bit. Prices vary wildly. Since most power meters involve a crank in some way, you can get a 53 at the same time.

Riding a Specialized Allez Elite. Quite a decent frame IMO, Carbon fork but not carbon frame.

@Barend - I have been riding for a year now, so at the moment its to finish as I'm just starting to race elites. Later on the goal will be to race.

What's your budget?

The Stages power meter should be attractively priced when it does appear on our shores.

Maybe you can get that AND a new/second hand groupset?

Not really, you are looking at R8-10K

Not really, you are looking at R8-10K

Maybe not attractively priced, but not bad when you consider most other are R15-20k.

If you use an ANT compatible HR/GPS you can buy a Power Ops Heart Rate strap that uses algorithams to calculate power ..... Pretty accurately too . About R2000.

Use the balance to upgrade to 10 speed groupo .

Riding a Specialized Allez Elite. Quite a decent frame IMO, Carbon fork but not carbon frame.

Decent indeed, but a full carbon pony may be money better spent.

what do you ride?

I have a powertap wheelset advertised in the classifieds.

May consider selling bike though: Scott CR1, DA 7800.