Power meter or Groupset?

Just need some advice.

I can either buy a power meter or new groupset.

This may sound like an obvious answer, but my current groupset is old and a compact tiagra, which isn't ideal for wanting to start racing.

On the other hand a power meter will definately improve my cycling, but then i have the crappy tiagra.

What would you do?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just need some advice.

I can either buy a power meter or new groupset.

This may sound like an obvious answer, but my current groupset is old and a compact tiagra, which isn't ideal for wanting to start racing.

On the other hand a power meter will definately improve my cycling, but then i have the crappy tiagra.

What would you do?

Instant gratification vs long term benefit(with some hard work).

Look if your were on 105, I would have gone power meter...no brainer. But remember, a power meter doesnt magically add 10km/h to your avg speed overnight. You have to hurt a bit.

I think look at a good secondhand 105 group...replace rings and cassette. Then save up for a powermeter again

oh and just another point to consider, do you know or have a program to train with power. It might be worth your while to check out your closest cadence / wattlab near you and use that change from the 105 group towards a 3 month training block to understand and get a feel for what it is about.

why do you need a power meter?

there are other ways to train i.e. without a power meter.

e.g. training peaks gives you the option to calculate tss based on your HR. you can use this data to create a manual performance management chart which includes TSS, ATL, CTL and TSB data. it's a mission to get started but once you have all the data captured and syncing it works well and you can track your training.

I would say (out of experience), a powermeter is only beneficial if you are wanting to race or already race at the top of your category AND you have a dedicated coach that understand powertraining, that can interpret your numbers and tell you what to do.

If you do not have that, then you will have an expensive toy that shows you numbers on your computer.

A groupset will give you instant satisfaction and maybe make you enjoy your ride more, this can make you more positive and get you racing harder.

Look at a secondhand Ultegra groupset. You will save a lot of weight and would be more beneficial when start to race. I know a lot of guys that is just training on RPE. A power meter will not make you faster.

why do you need a power meter?

there are other ways to train i.e. without a power meter.

e.g. training peaks gives you the option to calculate tss based on your HR. you can use this data to create a manual performance management chart which includes TSS, ATL, CTL and TSB data. it's a mission to get started but once you have all the data captured and syncing it works well and you can track your training.

That is the tip of the iceberg...

What's your budget?

The Stages power meter should be attractively priced when it does appear on our shores.

Maybe you can get that AND a new/second hand groupset?

Probably a second hand groupset. Unless you are wanting to start winning races you would get a bigger gain from the group set.

Look at a secondhand Ultegra groupset. You will save a lot of weight and would be more beneficial when start to race. I know a lot of guys that is just training on RPE. A power meter will not make you faster.

Not instantly no, but over a three month block it will make you faster than 100k F8 upgrade will. That is if you are prepared to work a bit

That is the tip of the iceberg...

tell me about it

I started using it on the advice of antonj 'cause I felt constantly pap (during training - even low intensity) and felt my fitness wasn't improving.

I'm no expert when it comes to training but I knew something was not right. (I use JF MTB training bible mostly RPE/HR based)

since using the graph data I feel somewhat better and can plan my training session a bit better.