Merida Big.Nine 1500 vs. Momsen AL429?

Pringels

This is my first post on The Hub..so hello everyone :)

I am in the process of shopping for a new 29" hardtail in the 15-20k price range.

Based on searches in the forums, web reviews and spec-by-spec comparisons I've narrowed down my options to the following:

2014 Merida Big.Nine 1500

2015 Momsen AL429

2014 Momsen AL529

The Al529 seems to no longer be an option as most retailers I've spoken to are unable to order 2014 momsens. (probably due to the 2015 range coming in next week)

So it's down to the Al429 and the Big nine 1500.

Either one will cost roughly R18,000.

I am struggling to decide between the specs. The Merida ships with a mid to top range fox fork (Fox 32 Float 29 Evo 100) whereas the Momsen ships with an entry-level Rockshox fork (30 gold)

However the momsen does have an XT rear derailleur as well as Stan's ZTR rapid rims which I have heard are quite good. I've also read many positive reviews and a generally favourable sentiment amongst Hub users for Momsen bikes. (not to mention that they are a local brand)

So which one would you recommend? I am not too clued up on compontents and their various pros and cons. Basically what I am looking for is a decent, value for money hardtail that can take a beating.

Alternative brand/bike suggestions are also welcome :)

I appreciate your feedback!

The better fork would be the deciding factor for me, but you also need to look at your bike and wanna ride it- which one is hotter in your opinion? I ride a GT Zaskar and love the thing- maybe look at the GT range if it appeals to you?

Welcome to the hub,

As a momsen owner i love my bike.

i have the AL229 and seen as i lack talent, it has had plenty of knocks etc. Hell i even did the Dusi2C with it and didn't have any issues.

Stans ZTR rims are round R1000 each too, so this is a great positive for the bike. But maybe you should go to a shop and test ride both, that way you will know for definite by the end of the ride.

Thanks for your response. I currently have a 2008 GT avalanche pro and I absolutely love it. I just thought it might be time to try a new brand. GTs also seem to be hard to come by.

Is there any specific GT you would recommend?

The Zaskar 9R Elite looks pretty good:

http://www.gtbicycle...r 9R Elite.html

I've seen that one in the flesh- a real beauty! I ride the entry level Zaskar (R9000) and find the frame to be nice and stiff in comparison to what I rode before (ironically a Merida).

I bought the AL529 2014 last one that was in the shop in JHB. They gave me a good deal, paid R13.5k and was on the floor for R17k. I really like the bike, have it now for a month.

My options was the

Silverback SOLA 1 & SOLA 2 very good value for money

Where in Gauteng are you based?

Silverback Sola 1

Titan Carbon Race - try find one with the Crest rims already( some came with them, some didnt)

GT Zaskar Pro

All of the above i think would be better specced than your initial options.

I bought the AL529 2014 last one that was in the shop in JHB. They gave me a good deal, paid R13.5k and was on the floor for R17k. I really like the bike, have it now for a month.

My options was the

Silverback SOLA 1 & SOLA 2 very good value for money

Where in Gauteng are you based?

I am based in Hyde Park. I've gotten quotes from Northcliff cycles and Mike's bikes for the AL529...but both have told me they can't source 2014 models in my size (large).

If you like both then let the deciding factor be the wheels ,and it looks like the momsen has the better wheel set.

What type of riding are you planning on doing?

Have a look at Specialized's 2015 Crave line - they're awesome alloy XC racing bikes with good spec and value for money.