Purist or Poser?

"Stevens"

The cool and hard core old cyclists never had all the gadgets we attach to our bikes these days. Would they have used them?......probably! 

Having read an article on being an cool cyclist, it started me thinking. (about my cycling)

I have removed computers from my bikes and saddle bags are on their way out.  As naked as possible from now on.

Maybe we are just victims of sales people.  You go in for a tube and come out with a new pump, Garmin, heart rate monitor etc.  Or a new Specialized Venge as in the case on my buddy.

Heart rate monitor...... dear Lord, I have enough to stress about...why add another thing to worry about!

Cadence monitor.......useless piece of junk when you ride a single speed in the pack.

Hammer, Cytosport?........Guys swear by their brands even when they do a slow 50km Sunday ride.

Or do you stop at café at 140km and have a pie and coke like me?

Maybe, if you not a retro cyclist or single speeder you might differ in opinion.

So are you a purist or a poser? 

(PS.    I have to admit, I still use Strava to track my distance when I need to)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no extras on my bikes. If I'm sticking with the bunch, who cares what the average speed is. MTB, what do you really need to see?

Guess I'm a poser. 

Dropper post, lock-on grips, gears, chainguides, big ass rotors etc. 

I don't think you have to ride a certain type of bike or use certain accessories to enjoy the ride. Stop over thinking everything and just ride yo!

Haha I've been called many things on my singlespeed, from purist to hippy to hipster. In the end I really don't care about nametags. I love my singlespeed (roadbike) due to the simplicity and for the challenge. My mtb on the otherhand has a crapload of gears with 140mm travel front and back, in this case I prefer function over form. And with regards to gadgets, I use strava to track my distance, and on the roadbike average speed, on the dirt I have to concentrate not hitting a tree and on the tar not hitting a taxi, no time to look at my heart rate or cadence etc. PS, if you're a pro athlete and know how the heartrate effects your training this might be different, training at peak heartrate might be benificial (but I have no idea how that works)

I ride with nothing now.  Removed the computer too.  I check my watch when I leave and again when I get back.  
The only time that I find it useful to have some info is when you're suffering in a long unfamiliar race and want to know how much further it is until the suffering ends  :huh: 

Getting rid of all the gadgets has allowed me to 'feel' what's going on.  I can feel my heart rate and know when to push and when to back off.  I'm not focused on the screen anymore, I'm just enjoying the ride.

Sorry, but who really cares. As long as you enjoy the ride, isn't that what is ultimately about? If you like your gadgets or not, each to his own.

Sorry, but who really cares. As long as you enjoy the ride, isn't that what is ultimately about? If you like your gadgets or not, each to his own.

With you on this. People who worry about whether or not other people who ride bicycles are enjoying riding their bicycles the way they think they should be.... simply don't enjoy riding their bicycles enough. Maybe we need a thread called "How I learned to stop worrying and love my bike"

With you on this. People who worry about whether or not other people who ride bicycles are enjoying riding their bicycles the way they think they should be.... simply don't enjoy riding their bicycles enough. Maybe we need a thread called "How I learned to stop worrying and love my bike"

Well said.

dont want to burst your bubble here, but single speeding is the new poser...

There certainly were some weird poses at the SS champs....

I carry nothing on rides with me. I rely on the kindness of others if I am hungry, thirsty or have a technical issue.

It saves me a fortune.

I carry nothing on rides with me. I rely on the kindness of others if I am hungry, thirsty or have a technical issue.

It saves me a fortune.

I am imagining your route does not take your past Rouxtjie??

Archived