Good Man! -Vigilante Cyclist recording motorists

Bianchisti

Drivers on the phone beware: The bicycling vigilante is after you! He's the self-appointed scourge of reckless motorists - filming their misdeeds then handing the evidence to police. And popular he ain't...

• Dave Sherry, 37, captures drivers' misdemeanors on bike helmet camera
  • He then hands evidence over to private company called Police Witness
  • Group gets up to 100 pieces of footage a week from dismayed road users
  • Father-of-five says he has ‘zero-tolerance for drivers using mobiles’
  • Adds that ‘people can't go three seconds without checking Facebook or Twitter feed...It’s madness'
  • On one record day Dave caught 20 offenders in four minutes
  • In two years he's been sworn at, threatened and nearly killed on the road

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781731/Drivers-phone-beware-The-bicycling-vigilante-He-s-self-appointed-scourge-reckless-motorists-filming-misdeeds-handing-evidence-police-And-popular-ain-t.html#ixzz3FLCoyh5y
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Nice to see someone upholding the law.

Unfortunately in SA, i am sure if we handed over the footage to our police that absolutely nothing will be done.

Which is really really sad.

Well done, and will work in the UK.....where there is a proper police system.

Won't work here because even the traffic poelees drive without seatbelts, no indicators, on the cell and the seat dropped to gangsta-style low......at least they will smile for the camera.

Wayne, I've tried that once - a NWStar bus clipped me and a guy some distance behind me caught it on his GoPro. A few weeks later he found me on the road again and offered the footage. Went to the copshop, and they wanted to take the entire GoPro as evidence, court case could take years blah blah blah. Glad me and the bus driver had a little 'chat' the day after the incident (yes, I waited for him) and he has since not been seen driving a bus in Pretoria (I think I may have scared him a bit)

Cops in this country is not helpful. My wife works at a school for mentally retarded kids, they have rapes every so often and the procedure (according to the cops) that the victim must identify the perpetrator by touching him on his shoulder out of a line-up. WTAF?

Cops in this country is not helpful. My wife works at a school for mentally retarded kids, they have rapes every so often and the procedure (according to the cops) that the victim must identify the perpetrator by touching him on his shoulder out of a line-up. WTAF?

:eek:

Nice to see someone upholding the law.

Unfortunately in SA, i am sure if we handed over the footage to our police that absolutely nothing will be done.

Which is really really sad.

Well done, and will work in the UK.....where there is a proper police system.

Won't work here because even the traffic poelees drive without seatbelts, no indicators, on the cell and the seat dropped to gangsta-style low......at least they will smile for the camera.

Saw this story in the local press a few weeks ago, seems the cops here are not to keen on this principal.

In this case i suspect the video submitter might be a bit of a serial nutter...

http://www.zug4you.ch/motorist_videos_other_drivers_motoring_offences.html

"A driver with a video camera mounted on his dashboard has taken it upon himself to monitor how others drive and made over 100 official complaints to the police, providing them with proof by sending them films of the of alleged offences.

Every morning on his route on the motorway between Baar and Rotkreuz the motorist films examples of what he considers to be dangerous driving such as overtaking on the right, tailgating, or changing lanes at the last minute. It seems he himself has provoked other drivers to overtake on the right by driving deliberately slowly.

Apart from a few exceptions, the Zug Police have not taken action over the offences filmed. As spokesman Marcel Schlatter explained, such surveillance by private individuals is simply not admissible. "Assuring safety on the roads is a matter for the police," he said, adding that there were already enough officers specially trained in this area to monitor driving behaviour"

Drivers on the phone beware: The bicycling vigilante is after you! He's the self-appointed scourge of reckless motorists - filming their misdeeds then handing the evidence to police. And popular he ain't...

• Dave Sherry, 37, captures drivers' misdemeanors on bike helmet camera
  • He then hands evidence over to private company called Police Witness
  • Group gets up to 100 pieces of footage a week from dismayed road users
  • Father-of-five says he has ‘zero-tolerance for drivers using mobiles’
  • Adds that ‘people can't go three seconds without checking Facebook or Twitter feed...It’s madness'
  • On one record day Dave caught 20 offenders in four minutes
  • In two years he's been sworn at, threatened and nearly killed on the road
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781731/Drivers-phone-beware-The-bicycling-vigilante-He-s-self-appointed-scourge-reckless-motorists-filming-misdeeds-handing-evidence-police-And-popular-ain-t.html#ixzz3FLCoyh5y

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think we need more people like this in RSA!

Two of my coworkers just said that they would hit him with their cars on purpose if they came across him in traffic.

Good plan,but nothing will be done about it. Even when a driver kills a cyclist they get away with it in SA , why would they worry about a cell phone user.

Two of my coworkers just said that they would hit him with their cars on purpose if they came across him in traffic.

I know some people like that too, and they know I'm a cyclist - though that may be more about disliking me as opposed to disliking all cyclists... ;)

Last week a colleague of mine was saying he wants to get into cycling and thought road riding would be safer than mountain biking...until I sent him here to look at all the stories of all the downed cyclists...I think he'll be buying a shiny new mountain bike any day now...

In South Africa they wont even know how to play the recorded video...and if they did their video equipment would probably have been stolen already..

Archived