Cyclist down in Durbanville

Bernard Horn

It was a Double Cab Isuzu, shape before the one launched now. Was a colored gentlemen prob mid-late 30's. Did they get reg number? Fire truck with sirens on passed the bakkie, don't they have camera's on? 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speedy feed back from De Broglio, They only take on Personal Injury cases.  :eek:  :eek: So if I get knocked off my bike and break or loose an limb, its not personal injury. WTF, any legal hubbers willing to steer me in the right direction.  

They can only claim from the RAF and it would have to be done on behalf of the family. The driver is covered by paying 3rd party insurance of which a portion goes to the RAF as I understand it. Negligence of a hit and run, becomes a criminal matter and not a civil claim. 

It was a Double Cab Isuzu, shape before the one launched now. Was a colored gentlemen prob mid-late 30's. Did they get reg number? Fire truck with sirens on passed the bakkie, don't they have camera's on? 

Is there no CCTV in the area he was traveling towards??

(Someone posted earlier that the reg of the vehicle concerned has been taken)

If you think you can help you can contact the communications officer  LT. Rhoode at Durbanville SAPS 021 9703800. He is currently in a meeting.

AS I HAVE IT. The bakkie that clipped Johan drove off. Another vehicle apparently turned around and managed to get the reg nr.  Regarding the Brackenfell incident, the lady in the maroon tazz also drove on. Apparently they also managed to get her reg nr. :cursing:  :cursing: :cursing:  :cursing:  

Is this speculation or is the reg actually known??? Can you check with your source?

Please tell me they have the reg no.

Can someone confirm?

For now it looks like a big NO. :unsure:  :(  

Is this speculation or is the reg actually known??? Can you check with your source?

Looks like a Big NO, waiting on one of the guys close to the deceased. The rumour was that they had it last night. Lets hope that it was not just a rumour.

Looks like a Big NO, waiting on one of the guys close to the deceased. The rumour was that they had it last night. Lets hope that it was not just a rumour.

My wife and I cycled past the accident shortly after it happened. One of the saddest sights I have seen in a long time. Helmet lying on the other side of the road about 50m away, bike lying on the ground, hit from behind and Johan (I did not know him) in the middle of the road, no shoes......................his cycling buddy in tears trying to call his family............

The rescue people told me it was a white Nissan/Datsun bakkie with three occupants in front, they left the scene but the registration number was known and photographed.

RIP fellow cyclist. Such sad news.

Prayers said for the family.

I echo - this has to be stopped somehow.

email sent to De Broglio. Lets hope a fund can be started in order to sue the Bastards.

I would suggest that we exhaust all existing possibilities before revisiting the road already traveled by many.

Surely organisations like the PPA considered the possibilities already? It would be really pessimistic to just assume that they sit on funds and don't allocate it to what their constitution demands ( http://www.pedalpower.org.za/index.php/about-ppa/constitution-governance/ ) or to mitigate direct threats to it (such as drivers getting away with culpable homicide). 

I would like to hear from organisations like them, CSA and others. As paying members we need to demand first to hear from these dedicated officials on what they do regarding this before we consider allocating more to other funds and/or stop our contributions towards the current ones.

Smurfy, why don't you start a new thread where you voice your concerns. Then we invite the PPA, CSA and others to respond. That way we should at least get from the horse's mouth what their thinking is... 

My wife and I cycled past the accident shortly after it happened. One of the saddest sights I have seen in a long time. Helmet lying on the other side of the road about 50m away, bike lying on the ground, hit from behind and Johan (I did not know him) in the middle of the road, no shoes......................his cycling buddy in tears trying to call his family............

This makes me feel so ill, WTF is wrong with people in this country?

The funeral is open to all.

Thanks Smurfy for keeping everybody in the loop...

To answer your biggest questions... finding the @$##%# who drove off has not been the highest priority right now. We are focusing on the kids and his wife at the moment.

Your condolences means a lot to us and I will carry those to his wife.

I would suggest that we exhaust all existing possibilities before revisiting the road already traveled by many.

Surely organisations like the PPA considered the possibilities already? It would be really pessimistic to just assume that they sit on funds and don't allocate it to what their constitution demands ( http://www.pedalpower.org.za/index.php/about-ppa/constitution-governance/ ) or to mitigate direct threats to it (such as drivers getting away with culpable homicide). 

I would like to hear from organisations like them, CSA and others. As paying members we need to demand first to hear from these dedicated officials on what they do regarding this before we consider allocating more to other funds and/or stop our contributions towards the current ones.

Smurfy, why don't you start a new thread where you voice your concerns. Then we invite the PPA, CSA and others to respond. That way we should at least get from the horse's mouth what their thinking is... 

I think that there was a similar response when the lady cyclist was knocked off her bike in Llandudno about 3 weeks ago. PPA appointed someone to follw the trial.(stand to be corrected).

Thanks Smurfy for keeping everybody in the loop...

To answer your biggest questions... finding the @$##%# who drove off has not been the highest priority right now. We are focusing on the kids and his wife at the moment.

Your condolences means a lot to us and I will carry those to his wife.

A mate of mine is very close to the family, I post what I get from him. They must be shattered. Cant imagine what they must be going through.

Archived