Cyclist down in Durbanville

Bernard Horn

Don't want to hijack the thread but..

This morning I was racing the 90km Durbie Dash, finishing 8 minutes behind the winner. Tonight I'm lying in the critical care heart unit of Panorama, getting a "little procedure" tomorrow as well as finding out if I will ever cycle properly again.

When Im tempted to throw myself a little pity party I remind myself that Johan probably would have loved to trade places with me.

Will have to miss tomorrow's memorial ride but Johan & family will be in my thoughts.

Guys&Girls - make most of your cycling & life. It can be taken away in an instant!

Skubarra

Skubbara, that is terrible to hear!!

Glad that it sounds like they got it under control!

Was not 100% so rolled from the back and took it easy.

Hope you get better mate

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice turnout.Very sad for the young family.Big up to the cyclists that said a few words and to the guys from Cape Town Cycles.Really appreciated.

go to www.jrwendys.co.za and have a look what the owner looks like and where the business is situated. He stands to lose a lot if he wants to play the ahole role.

What does that have to do with the price of eggs? I know some good-looking aholes who own businesses in upmarket areas. Did your buddy contact his/their insurer? or get their insurer's details? Did he report the incident to SAPS and obtain a case number? No business owner in his right mind would entertain a telephone call and make any admissions/concessions for fear of breaching their insurers rules...

Any way, why are you hijacking this thread? Just start your own "i hate jrwendys because......." thread. Rather than deflect the attention from this one's intended purpose.

Skubbara, that is terrible to hear!!

Glad that it sounds like they got it under control!

Was not 100% so rolled from the back and took it easy.

Hope you get better mate

Thanks everybody. Learned a harsh lesson, was riding with a slight cold (not in my chest just snotty nose) - still ended up in the heart unit. Or maybe it was just my heart's way of telling me I can't keep up with you youngsters anymore!

Got good news today though, damage is much less than what the doctors initially feared, will be back on the bike in a few weeks but I am going to need to adjust my goals & training to become more of a social rider when I'm healthy again - considering the alternatives I'm grateful!

Apologies again for hijacking Johan's thread - but what happened to him really gave me some perspective on my minor problems.

Thanks everybody. Learned a harsh lesson, was riding with a slight cold (not in my chest just snotty nose) - still ended up in the heart unit. Or maybe it was just my heart's way of telling me I can't keep up with you youngsters anymore!

Got good news today though, damage is much less than what the doctors initially feared, will be back on the bike in a few weeks but I am going to need to adjust my goals & training to become more of a social rider when I'm healthy again - considering the alternatives I'm grateful!

Apologies again for hijacking Johan's thread - but what happened to him really gave me some perspective on my minor problems.

Good to hear. Hope your episode serves as an example to others........and now you can ride again another day.

Keep safe people!

Thanks to everyone attending the memorial ride. Was awesome to see that it was not in VAIN.

Thanks to all invloved, from supplying the back up vehicle(Attitude Cycles), supplying the cross(Diesel interiors), Cofee and tea after the ride and venue(Cape Town Cycles) And to those that I might of forgotten. Was nice to see the guy that managed to follow the bakkie and obtain the reg nr. also stop and offer horse ridding services(no charge) to Johans little girls. 

Was glad that Niel his riding partner managed to make it as it must of been very traumatic for him as well.

Awesome to hear that the other cyclists believe in the fact that we need to live our lives and enjoy every possible opportunity we have.  

BE SAFE OUT THERE AND ENJOY EVERY DAY.

Thanks to everyone attending the memorial ride. Was awesome to see that it was not in VAIN.

Thanks to all invloved, from supplying the back up vehicle(Attitude Cycles), supplying the cross(Diesel interiors), Cofee and tea after the ride and venue(Cape Town Cycles) And to those that I might of forgotten. Was nice to see the guy that managed to follow the bakkie and obtain the reg nr. also stop and offer horse ridding services(no charge) to Johans little girls. 

Was glad that Niel his riding partner managed to make it as it must of been very traumatic for him as well.

Awesome to hear that the other cyclists believe in the fact that we need to live our lives and enjoy every possible opportunity we have.  

BE SAFE OUT THERE AND ENJOY EVERY DAY.

A Big thank you to you Smurfy, for organising this...

We really appreciate it!!!

It was a very emotional outing, but I think it will bring the necessary closure.

Thanks again.

A Big thank you to you Smurfy, for organising this...

We really appreciate it!!!

It was a very emotional outing, but I think it will bring the necessary closure.

Thanks again.

It needed to be done, glad I could help. Lets hope we wont have to repeat it again. Hope the family can move on now. (not that it will be easy, they have awesome support in you guys.)

Archived