Cyclist down in Durbanville

Bernard Horn

hijack on...

As dark as this sounds, knowing we don't really want to think about this type of thing and most often escape it by coming here, is there not an in memorium thread we can start and post up some pics of fallen riders with some bio? We've passed the point of this being an isolated issue a while back already!
hijack off..

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hijack on...

As dark as this sounds, knowing we don't really want to think about this type of thing and most often escape it by coming here, is there not an in memorium thread we can start and post up some pics of fallen riders with some bio? We've passed the point of this being an isolated issue a while back already!

hijack off..

What does Admin say. I cant help but notice that Wyatt, Dipslick and all the other Senior hubbers are rather quiet on this subject. Are they doing the Pioneer or some other race.

Cool, its been done. There will be a minute of silence before the one tonner. Respect :clap:  :clap: :clap:  Thanks PPA

What does Admin say. I cant help but notice that Wyatt, Dipslick and all the other Senior hubbers are rather quiet on this subject. Are they doing the Pioneer or some other race.

very likely:  both Pioneer and Berg and Bush on the go at the moment.

Cool, its been done. There will be a minute of silence before the one tonner. Respect :clap:  :clap: :clap:  Thanks PPA

I`m wearing a black arm band on Sunday.

Nothing can be said what we've all said before so many times. Every day there's tweets about safety, creating awareness and discussion, but the laws need to be changed and enforced. The sad fact is that killing cyclists on our roads has become a daily occurrence. It's unacceptable. On my commute to work and back home this week I did not see one cop on the roads, not ONE.

I'd love to get a written off car from Crash Flash, position it at a busy intersection where it is very visible and fake a bicycle/car accident scene complete with fake blood and put up a sign that says "Cyclists don't kill motorists.

Rapunzel - I work in PR and comms and this is the type of campaign that the PPA should be undertaking, something stronger than just their emails and our little protests. What is needed is for a cyclist in advertising to join the PPA committee so we can conceptualise things like this and then get a paper such as The Argus, who have a vested interest in cycling and a better SA through LEAD SA, to give us free space. 

Its really sickening... i was in an argument with someone i know through my uncle... He told me straight to my face if we are on the road we are looking to get killed! I was sooo shocked, he even said they (motorist) will NEVER respect any cyclists on the roads as we DONT BELONG THERE... and if we also have a yearly paid licence as cars only then can they start to respect us.... i was like WTF does the licence got to do with killing someone.... 

Im at a point where i would take law into my own hands if someone hits me with their car....i had it !!!

you know what..I would happily pay a R500 annual cycling license to the DOT if I knew that money was being actively used to promote and protect all cyclists AND runners on our roads

So. What were the other occupants in the hit-and-run vehicle thinking?? HOW have we got like this? While I really do hope more appropriate charges and sentencing can be wrung out of the (more usually) moronic legal system, that's not the complete answer. Something needs to be done to protect ALL road users, even motorists. Attitude change? Start with copping drunk drivers at regular road blocks. Make it the NORM so that people know they are going to get stopped, checked and dealt with. Start with pulling people over for moving violations. Make it inconvenient for those who are caught. Stop with the nonsense of traffic officials idling away the day parked at the side of the road. I can go on.

PPA lobbying government to be more active in terms of enforcement, not just traffic calming and road planning measures, would be a good start. Why PPA? Because CSA has never once stepped up to the plate, and who else is there? PPA is already onto the legal side of things, certainly for Alriza's case, so I do hope they can extend that to helping Johan's family, maybe the family of the PMB cyclist killed on Sunday. Where there are hit-and-run cases, the charge should automatically be for murder.

Please folks, I hope those of you in the area can make your presence felt when the driver appears in court to be charged.

To Johan's family, friends... may you somehow find peace.

To the passengers who did nothing to get the driver to stop or come forward, you ought to be charged as accomplices.

To the driver of that vehicle: you are now a murderer, no matter what any court may say. May life deal with you accordingly!

terrible news, it must always be a shock to hear of this, we can't just let it become normal.

Heard Liezel vdW doing the traffic this morning on KFM, made a big mention of the 1m rule - at least we got someone who can reach a big audience.

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Both out of sympathy for my fellow cyclist that got killed whilst doing what he enjoyed and his family that got left behind, and also out of frustration for feeling so helpless and vulnerable.

I'm seething inside, cannot put my feelings into words, so I'll just mourn the loss of an unknown to me  (although we might have shared the road before) cyclist in silence, while I gather my thoughts.

What hits hard is that this is the one road I considered to be really safe and enjoyed cycling it without fear. Now I don't know if I'll be able to cycle it again without fear in my heart and trepidation.

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Both out of sympathy for my fellow cyclist that got killed whilst doing what he enjoyed and his family that got left behind, and also out of frustration for feeling so helpless and vulnerable.

I'm seething inside, cannot put my feelings into words, so I'll just mourn the loss of an unknown to me  (although we might have shared the road before) cyclist in silence, while I gather my thoughts.

What hits hard is that this is the one road I considered to be really safe and enjoyed cycling it without fear. Now I don't know if I'll be able to cycle it again without fear in my heart and trepidation.

Klipheuwel and Botlery are my favourite roads to cycle on. Both had had deadly incidents, first Dr. Roux a year or so ago now Johan. We can be glad that both the bastards were caught. Thanks to the vigilant citizens out there that made a point of getting involved. Kudos to them. 

Jay, for the first time I have to admit, I'm scared now of going onto the roads......

Not a nice feeling.

Cancelled my morning ride, all I could think of was what had happend to Johan. The sad part is that the place where Dr. Roux was killed is just across the field from my house. I pass there everyday.

Archived