Fun mtb run down Rubenstein

daanjg

Guest notmyname

BTW you don't tell me to catch a wake up on a public internet site . You are more than welcome to say it to me in person .

catch a wake up...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You follow the rules and see how long before a car take you out from behind . I will continue to cycle against flow on the pavement like I have been doing for 15 years . And as far rules of the road goes , I follow example set to me by our govermunt .

When I do my weekday training rides in the 'burbs, I ride the sidewalks, pavements and velde.

When on the sidewalks and pavements, where there is a gap of a few meters between the sidewalk and the road, I'm not concerned about flowing with or against traffic - it's irrelevant then.

However, when I'm forced to quickly get on the road to cross onto another section of the route, I plan the crossing so that I am flowing with the traffic.

What medical aid scheme (and plan) are you currently using and are they aware that you are doing this? Does your protection include full face helmet, neck brace and chest protector? Don't really care about the bacon, as long as the head, neck and spine is more than adequately protected.

PS: Morewood hitting a vehicle square-on at 35km/h will be no more........just wood.

Normal Giro mtb helmet, Fox Titan sports jacket and Nukeproof Critical armor knee guards. So far these have provided full cover for me. I do want a full face helmet though. Medihelp has been good to me, but since I got my protective gear a year ago I haven't needed their services (touch wood).

You follow the rules and see how long before a car take you out from behind . I will continue to cycle against flow on the pavement like I have been doing for 15 years . And as far rules of the road goes , I follow example set to me by our govermunt .

At what SPEED do you cycle on the pavement......or is it also gravity assisted (in other words you just hold on)? At 35km/h you are travelling at 9.8m/s. Crash and the chances are good that you will find yourself 20m from your bike. The minimum stopping distance for a bike travelling at 35km/h (with everything needing to stop working optimally) is approximately 6.5m. Now you do the calculations between velocity and reaction time and the ability to stop in time to avoid a crash.......

......and to be wide awake.....for other stuff also as in the case of pets, children, and even the odd water sprinkler. 

Edited by BarHugger

This will only help me to take more things in consideration when riding and having fun and ultimately to minimise risks. 

Go and try Wolwespruit (less than 1km away)......maybe not minimize the risk to yourself, but definitely to the other road users and residents.

Added advantage with Wolwespruit......the hospital is even closer!

Please correct your typo... :thumbup:

Impressive riding 

F$%king Stoopid though. You say you anticipate whats going to happen but you cannot simply just stop if a pedestrian walks out from behind a wall or parked car and you are putting their lives in danger. What if Someone was sitting in one of those parked cars on his phone and decides to reverse out.... There is not enough planning that can prevent these situations 

Stupid!!!

Edit: When I say impressive you do S##t i would never attempt 

Edited by fabes

Impressive riding 

F$%king Stoopid though. You say you anticipate whats going to happen but you cannot simply just stop if a pedestrian walks out from behind a wall or parked car and you are putting their lives in danger. What if Someone was sitting in one of those parked cars on his phone and decides to reverse out.... There is not enough planning that can prevent these situations 

Stupid!!!

Edit: When I say impressive you do S##t i would never attempt 

Noted, thanks.

On that route pedestrians behind walls aren't an issue, but the parked car thing is very a good point!

My average speed of my total rides are usually very low because I spent a lot of time sitting stationary on my bike waiting for cars or pedestrians to clear.

Noted, thanks.

On that route pedestrians behind walls aren't an issue, but the parked car thing is very a good point!

My average speed of my total rides are usually very low because I spent a lot of time sitting stationary on my bike waiting for cars or pedestrians to clear.

This means absolutely nothing!

Noted, thanks.

This means absolutely nothing!

Video proves otherwise.......or are you claiming KOD......or are you just showing off?

PS: Nothing wrong with showing off as long as it doesn't have potential negative consequences for others.

Is it Friday already?

Nice urban downhill.

I'd rather do that than take on the taxis. Super wide pavements. Plenty of line choices. Lots of travel with lowered seat, nice tyres and big brakes. Acute awareness, quick thinking and fast reactions combined with a decent amount of skill to bail out or change direction if you have to.

Would be better if it was closed off.

Video proves otherwise.......or are you claiming KOD......or are you just showing off?

PS: Nothing wrong with showing off as long as it doesn't have potential negative consequences for others.

Video is edited. I've cut out all the stops and waiting and braking and turning around and normal riding................... The original vid is 47 minutes long of the whole ride.

What does "KOD" stand for?

Is it Friday already?

Nice urban downhill.

I'd rather do that than take on the taxis. Super wide pavements. Plenty of line choices. Lots of travel with lowered seat, nice tyres and big brakes. Acute awareness, quick thinking and fast reactions combined with a decent amount of skill to bail out or change direction if you have to.

Would be better if it was closed off.

:thumbup: :thumbup: