Fun mtb run down Rubenstein

daanjg

Great run and a descent edit daanjg. You put the effort in and i respect that. Pay no attention to the trolls and haters, they all watched the vid and secretly enjoyed it :)

Please elaborate as to who the trolls are here. Does taking cycle safety to heart make a person a troll?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of my usual fun routes down Rubenstein street in Pretoria, on my awesome Morewood Zuza

Kyk laat ons nounie hier doekies omdraai nie maar dit lyk vrek lekker.

Having made that obvious observation, unfortunately the current (somewhat unique) cyclist - motorist - public-road climate in SA has forced us to become party poopers, haters, pansies, weenies...whatever you want to call us. Traffic-related cycling accidents has now literally become a daily thing and road rage incidents targeted at cyclist are on the increase. I’m convinced that Vetseun and others are not out to deprive Daan of an awesome ride (which it certainly is…). Rather, they speak from a deep concern and understanding of not only the immediate gratification of such an adrenalin rush, but also possible (and very real) negative and potentially disastrous consequences given our unique situation, IMO. Let’s keep perspective, respect other public space users and most of all, do anything in our power to stay safe.

Great run and a descent edit daanjg. You put the effort in and i respect that. Pay no attention to the trolls and haters, they all watched the vid and secretly enjoyed it :)

Your avatar says a lot about your mentality of calling someone a hater or troll trying to emphasize the dangers associated with a specific activity.........but then again I will gladly be known even as a "drol" if it means some common sense and less risky behaviour has been achieved.

Calling someone out as a troll or hater because they differ with your perception of what is responsible and mature is also not on........but hey, if you are willing to contribute to the medical bills and after-care........support ad infinitum.

Are you familiar with the Tara Llanes story.......?? Just a reality check quickly:

From here.....

post-41755-0-02004600-1413378912_thumb.jpg

to here......in a split second

post-41755-0-04256000-1413378934_thumb.jpg

Wikipedia quote:

On September 1, 2007, Llanes crashed at Beaver Creek, Colorado host to the Jeep King of the Mountain Finale. The accident happened on the second to last straight down the Dual Slalom course as she raced head-to-head against Jill Kinter in the semifinals. Llanes hit an obstacle wrong and the bicycle landed nose first on the ground. She was thrown over the handlebars and onto her head and then landed on her back, suffering massive and severe lower back trauma, suffering a C-7 fracture and L-1 damage to her vertebrae, and paralyzing her lower extremities. She was first rushed to Vail Valley Medical Center and then was airlifted to Denver Health Hospital. She underwent seven hours of surgery but still had no feeling from the waist down. According to the surgeons who worked on her, the condition is most likely permanent. Llanes recalls the moment of the accident:

"This was my job and I was blessed. Then my life and everything I had dreamed of and accomplished flashed before my eyes as I laid there on the ground trying to understand why I was in such pain and why my legs just wouldn't move.

But then again: the video is not real as it is not a continuous run but rather a compilation of separate bits........that seems as the real thing. So accolades might be a bit .................?

Edited by BarHugger

There's no need for bickering amongst each other.

I don't see the negative comments as "hating", most of them are valid points that must be taken into account when riding, but some is also based on the lack of knowledge of the real time situation the vid can't portray.

Although my short vid doesn't reflect this, I also take cycling safety very serious.

The following facts can be taken into account when whatching this:

This vid is a very shortened (cut-and-paste) edit of the entire run down Rubenstein. It does not even begin to give a true reflection of all the planning, practise, scouting, checking, waiting, braking, turnarounds, looking around etc. in real time that I do every single time I ride there (or anywhere esle). The action cam also makes things look a lot closer than they really are, it doesn't give a true reflection of the actual spatial arrangement of objects around you.

Edited by daanjg

daanjg kudo for making this video and sharing how you enjoy using your bike :thumbup:

Everyone here has a valid point but I must commend you for the manner in which you responded

Side Walk. Not side Cycle.

Hope that it helps to clear it up for you.

So then why are the walkers/runners ALWAYS in the road.

The pavement is unused therefore we should use it ;)

as much as I would love there to be, there are NO rules of the road in SA.

Nice riding, but get that full face helmet.

my bro has hit a car pulling out of their gate before.