Fun mtb run down Rubenstein

daanjg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks awesome and the video is hectic. Looks like you are realy flying.

Know that section of road quite well as I stay nearby and use it as a part of a training route (primarily due to its incline/climb from Garsfontein Road to Solomon Mahlangu  it is approximately a 100m climb over 2km with an average incline of 6% and max inclines in the region of 13%). Your final jump at the entrance to Moreletta shopping centre is also well planned for if you pick up a technical problem on the landing, Bester Cycles is 50m away. Seems as if you have done this run a few times judging by the lines you take, especially through the forecourt of the Shell garage.

I must give you credit on the size of your balls going down that specific road at speed (saw a max of 44km/h) against traffic flow and on the pavement......I am just to conservative to try that. My training route is in the opposite direction, going much slower, uphill, on the opposite side of the road where there is less vehicles, using the foot path on the pavement, and preferably not through all those parking areas of the businesses. Going over a bonnet of a car due to someone reversing out and not thinking about the possibilty of a cyclist coming down at speed on the pavement.......that is just looking for a cubicle in the ER and my CS has a self-preserverance glitch. Luckily Pretoria East hospital is closeby.

The bike seems to handle well and sounds amazing. Better than those damn taxis that frequent that section of road and drive like their arses. Those okes will just suddenly pull of the road to drop or pick up passenger.....and some even struggle to make it to the top of Rubenstein, leading to some hectic traffic manoeuvres from irritated road users. And the traffic circle at Wekker Street.....prime spot for serious crashes.

Thanks for posting your awesome experience.....some riders are going to be very jealous of this magnificent urban downhill track. THINK, PLAN, THINK AGAIN, ENJOY AND BE SAFE!

Edited by BarHugger

Thanks for your comments BarHugger, I really appreciate it. Yeah you're right these runs take months and months of planning and practice.

I do want to stress the safety factor. I always plan and anticipate beforehand. Visibility is very very important. I always make sure I can see what's coming and going, especially when there's cars and pedestrians involved on and off the road / pavements. I also try to anticipate what's going to happen when something goes wrong. Like if I crash at a specific point, what am I going to hit, where am I going to end up, am I going to slide into the road into traffic, I am going to cause damage to someone's property etc. I always check out a route slowly every single time before I go down fast, unforeseen obstacles like dustbins, bricks parked cars etc. pop up behind drops and jumps from time to time. If anything doesn't look or feel right at any point, DON'T DO IT. Brake and pull out. There are many drops and jumps that I just don't do because of poor visibility or they are located at dangerous points too close to the road. I must admit down this Rubenstein route the risk of hitting a car pulling out of a driveway is quite high........

My Morewood......... yeah that thing is just amazing. It's basically bombproof, I ride far below her potential. She eats up anything I throw at her and is a huge confidence booster.

PS. due to a few visits to the emergency room with a dislocated shoulder in the past, I always ride with a full body armor suit and knee guards. I look stupid (hahaha) but it has saved my bacon many many times in huge crashes.

Edited by daanjg

Silly and irresponsible. We make a massive scene on The Hub about bicycle safety. Some of us are very passionate about it.

Then people come and do irresponsible thinks like this.

You are riding on the sidewalk, against traffic flow, shooting behind parked vehicles.

You are placing yourself, pedestrians and motorists in danger.

Go ride in the veld.

Edited by Vetseun

My crystal ball has foretold that you will be shedding some serious blood and skin in the near future. 

My crystal ball has foretold that you will be shedding some serious blood and skin in the near future. 

Then he can start a new thread.

Silly and irresponsible. We make a massive scene on The Hub about bicycle safety. Some of us are very passionate about it.

Then people come and do irresponsible thinks like this.

You are riding on the sidewalk, against traffic flow, shooting behind parked vehicles.

You are placing yourself, pedestrians and motorists in danger.

Go ride in the veld.

Seriaas !!!! I ride on the sidewalk , against traffic flow all the time . BTW just how do you get to the veld ? Carry your bike on your back ? 

I always ride with a full body armor suit and knee guards. I look stupid (hahaha) but it has saved my bacon many many times in huge crashes.

What medical aid scheme (and plan) are you currently using and are they aware that you are doing this? Does your protection include full face helmet, neck brace and chest protector? Don't really care about the bacon, as long as the head, neck and spine is more than adequately protected.

PS: Morewood hitting a vehicle square-on at 35km/h will be no more........just wood.

Seriaas !!!! I ride on the sidewalk , against traffic flow all the time . BTW just how do you get to the veld ? Carry your bike on your back ? 

No you follow the rules of the road. Just like you expect cars to do.

Catch a wake up.

WE CANNOT COMPLAIN IF WE DONT KEEP TO THE RULES OF THE ROAD

You follow the rules and see how long before a car take you out from behind . I will continue to cycle against flow on the pavement like I have been doing for 15 years . And as far rules of the road goes , I follow example set to me by our govermunt .

This is also why I posted this vid. To get different perspectives and opinions from everyone. This will only help me to take more things in consideration when riding and having fun and ultimately to minimise risks. 

Just remember.............. these action cameras give an extremely narrow and flat perspective of your ride. On the bike you have a gazillion times more awareness and sense of your surroundings and what's coming up ahead. Things also appear to be a lot closer on the cam than they really are.

Ride the big one :thumbup:

You follow the rules and see how long before a car take you out from behind . I will continue to cycle against flow on the pavement like I have been doing for 15 years . And as far rules of the road goes , I follow example set to me by our govermunt .

So do you steal money as well?

Guest Travis.

Testosterone everywhere here.

Settle down boys.

I have to side with Vetseun, as a cyclist i am not quite sure why you want to take the law into your own hands and make yiurself ride a manner that is obviously not safe. As a motorist this scares me, because if i hit you or you hit me, it will probably be made to be my fault. Simple fact is you are on the wrong side of the road. Rather play where it is safe.

Guest notmyname

BTW you don't tell me to catch a wake up on a public internet site . You are more than welcome to say it to me in person .

catch a wake up...