[Event] 24 Hour Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

Great experience, huge respect to all that did it. The unicyclists were absolutely nuts, good job. 

Strange how some people were ducking across the dam or leaving out that little single track loop on the last big climb, do the complete loop people, c'mon!

@Marius, I also spotted you coming in around 9:30am on Sunday morning while I waited in the transition, bloodshot eyes and this vague stare while your second was trying to feed you and you were spraying your legs with water, you looked absolutely broken and I cannot believe you kept going, a massive dose of respect, great job!

Thanks everybody, see you next year!

His shirt said it all. ATTITUDE. :clap:  :clap: :clap:  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Tau, I'm impressed cuzzie, those 24hr events are never easy :thumbup:

Next year I want to C you suffering along.

Great event, big thanks to all involved.

My first 24hr race, did it solo and managed 12 laps.

Could have done more, but riding the singletrack at night was just too much sensory overload for me.

To the slightly faster guy on the singlespeed in the flannel shirt who knocked me off trying to pass where there was no room to pass - Knob.

To the much faster guy behind me on the last piece of singletrack on my final lap who shouted "Don't worry, relax and enjoy your ride" - Thank you, that was very cool of you.

To the slightly faster guy on the singlespeed in the flannel shirt who knocked me off trying to pass where there was no room to pass - Knob.

B8wZlf3CIAAqLik.jpg

Strange how some people were ducking across the dam or leaving out that little single track loop on the last big climb, do the complete loop people, c'mon!

I thought this was just a Jo'burg thing, although to be fair, there were allegations of cheating at the last Dirtopia 24hr at Wiesenhof between the two front 4 man teams. The entire category was declared null and void, which annoyed a mate of mine who was sitting in third.

I saw a lot of guys skipping the little singletrack piece half way up the climb.

Also saw a few turning immediately left after the start and heading off up the road...

I saw a lot of guys skipping the little singletrack piece half way up the climb.

Also saw a few turning immediately left after the start and heading off up the road...

That's just so offsides  :angry: To all those that decided to take some short cuts ... if someone can ride the whole course on a Unicycle, what does it say about you ?

B8wZlf3CIAAqLik.jpg

I thought this was just a Jo'burg thing, although to be fair, there were allegations of cheating at the last Dirtopia 24hr at Wiesenhof between the two front 4 man teams. The entire category was declared null and void, which annoyed a mate of mine who was sitting in third.

The best way to police this would probably be to put a camera trap there and catche the bastards... similar to the ones they use on game ranches.

It really breaks your motivation if you dig deep and work hard, only to see these people getting away with it scott free and even worse... walk next to you when you go and pick up your 8 lap medal.

Great event, big thanks to all involved.

My first 24hr race, did it solo and managed 12 laps.

Could have done more, but riding the singletrack at night was just too much sensory overload for me.

To the much faster guy behind me on the last piece of singletrack on my final lap who shouted "Don't worry, relax and enjoy your ride" - Thank you, that was very cool of you.

Ditto, a teammate also mentioned a (separate) incident he witnessed with the 'flannel' team.

edit - this was the only negative incident I know of - everybody else was extremely patient. (Most of the time when I was passed, and then one or two legendary moments where I were able to make up a position :blush: )

Thoroughly enjoyed this event! Managed 11 laps. Went out at 4 in the morning to go do my first night lap and 15 minutes into it, my bike light fails!!! Had to do all the singletrack using a camping headlamp. Needless to say, it was my slowest lap :blush:

I didnt hang around until 1:15 to get my medal, does anyone know if you can still get one? My 3 year old daughter was dissapointed because I always give her my medals.

I really enjoyed the night laps this year with the moon up, and I was only three minutes off (on average) than my day laps even though one of my pedals came off it's spindle! 

I didn't spot any cheating except for ppl walking up with there bikes skipping the little piece of single track but I thought it better them walking there than being in the way on the single track so have no beef with that. 

B8wZlf3CIAAqLik.jpg

Dear Blackheart, I apologise for the incident as I did on the trail.

I am not sure if you were trying to save a little kitten that was stuck in a tree or trying to dig out a nasty piece of biltong stuck between your molars but it seemed like you were doodling along at snails pace. I came up behind you on the single track, slowed down and asked you to track if you get a gap, you moved over to the right, I passed you on the dodgy left side, you got a wobbly as we were side by side and our bars touched and you went down. Again I am really sorry!

Regarding the second so called "ïncident", I approached a group of riders, alerted them that I would be passing on the right (it was a dual track). I passed the first rider, as I approached the second I again said passing on the right, to avoid recklessly swerving through the group and startling the poor souls as the were desperately trying to maintain some form of forward momentum up the climb. The second rider then told me "You can pass on the f@cking left". I then told him I was just trying to be polite and that he shouldn't be a dick. He somehow took offence to this and kept yelling obscenities at me and asked me if I want to box? Being the mild mannered guy that I am I told him I was there to ride my bike and not box, and that he can f@ck off.

As I team that was constantly moving through traffic for 24hrs and to have two incidents, maybe these posts should be put into perspective?

Much flannel love and happy trails!

Nico.

PS Dane thanks for sharing the picture, we did look smashing in those shirts!

You have set the fashion bar incredibly high, while still maintaining a certain degree of functionality. I do hope you either threw those shirts away afterwards, or have them framed on your man cave wall. Your colleagues might not be too impressed with the Eau de 24hr smell that probably now impregnates them.

The only way to beat your style is Batman suits or mankinis.

Dear Blackheart, I apologise for the incident as I did on the trail.

I am not sure if you were trying to save a little kitten that was stuck in a tree or trying to dig out a nasty piece of biltong stuck between your molars but it seemed like you were doodling along at snails pace. I came up behind you on the single track, slowed down and asked you to track if you get a gap, you moved over to the right, I passed you on the dodgy left side, you got a wobbly as we were side by side and our bars touched and you went down. Again I am really sorry!

Regarding the second so called "ïncident", I approached a group of riders, alerted them that I would be passing on the right (it was a dual track). I passed the first rider, as I approached the second I again said passing on the right, to avoid recklessly swerving through the group and startling the poor souls as the were desperately trying to maintain some form of forward momentum up the climb. The second rider then told me "You can pass on the f@cking left". I then told him I was just trying to be polite and that he shouldn't be a dick. He somehow took offence to this and kept yelling obscenities at me and asked me if I want to box? Being the mild mannered guy that I am I told him I was there to ride my bike and not box, and that he can f@ck off.

As I team that was constantly moving through traffic for 24hrs and to have two incidents, maybe these posts should be put into perspective?

Much flannel love and happy trails!

Nico.

Then it was a third incident. It was sorted out there on the track & no boxing was discussed or took place. I understood that the swearing happened when your rider was told to be less vocal, calm down about his lap times & be patient while a crashed rider got helped back onto his feet - after which he obliged. :thumbup:

I didn't see any cheating and I can promise I didn't cheat at all. That would be really dumb. Sorry if I wasn't eager to jump off singletrack sections to let speedy guys pass, but I was on a mission to win. I thought everyone was very polite and decent, including the schoolkids, they were very cool and not impatient with me. THanks everyone.

Archived