Rant-3 or 4 per tit....dumb tits

Wyatt Earp

Here's the theory, for what it's worth. Overtaking a group is quicker than a long line, meaning the overtaking vehicle is in the oncoming lane for a shorter period. But this does mean that cyclists need to be considered as deserving as cars to hold the lane and therefore overtaken correctly by cars leaving the lane, not seen as an obstacle to squeezed past in the same lane or half the lane. Yes, an inconvenience to motorists who wouldn't be able to squeeze past dangerously and we all know how we as motorists hate being made to travel anything but the exact speed limit, so it'll never happen. So the gutter it is :unsure:

http://www.amkcustom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/twoup.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the theory, for what it's worth. Overtaking a group is quicker than a long line, meaning the overtaking vehicle is in the oncoming lane for a shorter period. But this does mean that cyclists need to be considered as deserving as cars to hold the lane and therefore overtaken correctly by cars leaving the lane, not seen as an obstacle to squeezed past in the same lane or half the lane. Yes, an inconvenience to motorists who wouldn't be able to squeeze past dangerously and we all know how we as motorists hate being made to travel anything but the exact speed limit, so it'll never happen. So the gutter it is :unsure:

Problem is, both drivers and cyclists here probably don't grasp this concept. As outdated and unsafe as legislation may be. 

With our lack of consideration for one another as well, it'd probably result in more incidents.

Have experienced exactly what Wyatt is on about. The number of times I've called 'car back' and some riders will just sit there. Then the driver will lean on the hooter like a rabid ape, and riders respond in kind. 

Sad reality is, out attitude reflects a superficial bunch of testerone driven ****** on the roads. Wether it's a handlebar or steering wheel.

The real irony though, is that for all our talk of rider safety and groups etc ... if one correlates (via news reports) all the fatalities and serious accidents with cyclists on the roads. The majority by far is solo riders or very small groups of two or three. That's a fact.

Wyatt, I completely understand how you feel.

Riding 3 or 4 abreast on public roads will have consequences. Perhaps not today or tomorrow, perhaps not for the cyclists involved. My wife was recently in a near head-on collision with another car swerving into her lane due to a cycling club's irresponsible behaviour (looking at you Club100).

I have lately pondered if some cyclists (people?) are just selfish or idiots, not sure which? It is foreseeable that certain behaviours on a bicycle raise the risk to yourself, other cyclists and road users. Yet still some clubs/cyclists persist in giving other road users the finger (figuratively and literally). 

To get back to my example above, were my wife not able to avoid the imminent collision, what would the individuals and club's reaction be? Sorry for a few days and then moving on, but possibly leaving several shattered lives behind.

As far as I know Klapperkop has a solid white line all the way over the kop.

So strictly speaking no car is allowed to overtake anyone on that stretch of road :ph34r:  :whistling:

But I have also seen what Wyatt has been talking about but do find that most move over when I warn them that I am approaching. But then again, If I am able to warn them I suppose I'm not doing my intervals hard enough.

Isn't it ironic how bikes and components keep on evolving to make the ride better, faster and more enjoyable......yet attitudes stagnate, regardless of the threat of physical harm? :eek:

Yeah, this has been posted on Bicyclesafety often and makes complete and logical sense, but not when you as an overtaking cyclist gets forced over the white line and in to oncoming traffic and riders.

That makes so much sense. I'm sure drivers would be a bit more understanding of the behavior if it was explained like that. It would be wonderful if we could contribute to a campaign that explained things like this to the general public.

That drawing is cool and all but there is one thing that is forgotten. Bicycles are slow. I ride motorbike and if I am lane splitting in morning traffic I wont exceed the traffic speed by more than 20km/h. So traffic not moving I crawl along at 20km/h. This is because the difference in speed is a huge factor. You have a group of cyclists doing even 30km/h on a flat road, if the car is doing 80, there is a massive speed difference. The gap closes very quickly and can be dangerous.

Flame me if you want. But saying you deserve the full lane like a normal car is not realistic. How often have you go behind a car on the freeway "owning the fast lane" at 100, or the truck doing 40 on the road. We need to show respect to other road users and hopefully receive the same respect.

Unfortunately with bicycles and motorbikes, you will be the looser, we have seen how many cyclists wiped out in the past 3 weeks? Saying you had the right isn't going to help. We need to do everything possible to be safe out there.

Ride safe

That makes so much sense. I'm sure drivers would be a bit more understanding of the behavior if it was explained like that. It would be wonderful if we could contribute to a campaign that explained things like this to the general public.

First need to change the law.......

Wyatt Earp started a Friday thread without even knowing it.

Probably the people you saw did not belong to a cycling club,

as the rules of safely riding on the road are explained to you.

Well, not everyone will listen or care, but that's a good start anyway.

Is your rant about the slow riding, or the riding abreast ?

Remember, you were also slow once, and maybe still are.

The roads are for both abilities.

Riding abreast 3-4 is definitely not on.

Just shout abuse at the offenders, and if many people do it constantly,

they will soon get the idea.

Above all, lets have fun out there guys n girls. :D 

Wyatt Earp started a Friday thread without even knowing it.

Probably the people you saw did not belong to a cycling club,

as the rules of safely riding on the road are explained to you.

Well, not everyone will listen or care, but that's a good start anyway.

Is your rant about the slow riding, or the riding abreast ?

Remember, you were also slow once, and maybe still are.

The roads are for both abilities.

Riding abreast 3-4 is definitely not on.

Just shout abuse at the offenders, and if many people do it constantly,

they will soon get the idea.

Above all, lets have fun out there guys n girls. :D

Slow riders don't phase me as I am one of them.

It's taking over the road that grates my brown eye curls.

Do you have a passport to visit this side of the curtain?  :wacko:  :blink:  :D

I actually have a permanent passport, one of those that you get because you have a spouse in that hood  :lol:  :lol:

Slow riders don't phase me as I am one of them.

It's taking over the road that grates my brown eye curls.

You Slow...then i am hiking with my bike.

Im with Wyatt, riding 3 abreast is not on, not even in the yellow lane.

On my ride (sunday) i was forced into the traffic lane as 3 riders were chatting away sitting 3 abreast taking up the whole of the yellow lane and more. They were not even aware i was approaching them.

Next time I might just stop and speak my mind...and it will not be pretty.

On my ride (sunday) i was forced into the traffic lane as 3 riders were chatting away sitting 3 abreast taking up the whole of the yellow lane and more. They were not even aware i was approaching them.

I forgot about those guys.

You were NOT FORCED to do anything, how about just saying "hello can I pass please"

Cyclist also DO NOT force cars to overtake them on a solid line, cars have pretty good brakes,they can use them, slight hoot and then pass.

Archived