Trans Baviaans 2015

hboli4

Surely if you do not like the idea of a second event the same should be said about Sani2Sea en W2W? Next thing we'll say they should only allow 100 entries per month until it is full.

I quite respect them, cause they started this race when nobody thought it is possible to ride that far in "24 hours". They stood the test of time and deserve their event to be as popular as well known stage races.

Ecobound has never ever been good with their admit, that is just the way it is, in the end the event runs smoothly.

I think what would be cool is some guys starting at 10 in the morning and some at 10 in the evening.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely if you do not like the idea of a second event the same should be said about Sani2Sea en W2W? Next thing we'll say they should only allow 100 entries per month until it is full.

I quite respect them, cause they started this race when nobody thought it is possible to ride that far in "24 hours". They stood the test of time and deserve their event to be as popular as well known stage races.

Ecobound has never ever been good with their admit, that is just the way it is, in the end the event runs smoothly.

I think what would be cool is some guys starting at 10 in the morning and some at 10 in the evening.

The difference between this and the others is you know which one is the race/ride/adventure.

Problem is now if you want to rave what then? I have asked and they have no seeding plan or anything.

Raving in willowmore is a tough ask, maybe in Jbay....

The difference between this and the others is you know which one is the race/ride/adventure.

Problem is now if you want to rave what then? I have asked and they have no seeding plan or anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Entered and hoping to do and complete my first one. I am seeing the CTCT in 3 weeks time as a training ride. Just to take some of the stress away.

My question is this. What is the advice you guys can give regarding the lights for the race. What are the rules and what do you guys use?

My current bike light is more effective to be seen with, that to actually see.

I am hoping to maybe look out for a good deal at the CTCT Expo. Any recommendations, or warnings?

Entered and hoping to do and complete my first one. I am seeing the CTCT in 3 weeks time as a training ride. Just to take some of the stress away.

My question is this. What is the advice you guys can give regarding the lights for the race. What are the rules and what do you guys use?

My current bike light is more effective to be seen with, that to actually see.

I am hoping to maybe look out for a good deal at the CTCT Expo. Any recommendations, or warnings?

You need proper lights - not commuter lights.  Magicshine/Magiclights are probably the best value for money.  If you think you'll be quicker than 11:30 then you can leave your lights at Bergplaas (but its always a good idea to have 1 person in your group with a light (pickup at stop 2) - just in case you have a problem).  I would also suggest a headlight and an extra set of batteries

You need proper lights - not commuter lights.  Magicshine/Magiclights are probably the best value for money.  If you think you'll be quicker than 11:30 then you can leave your lights at Bergplaas (but its always a good idea to have 1 person in your group with a light (pickup at stop 2) - just in case you have a problem).  I would also suggest a headlight and an extra set of batteries

Extremelights.co.za is the way to go. Cheaper and great service

• 1 month later...

Anyone on The Hub who can help with a Strava link or anything almost the same for the Baviaans 24h race. Would like to see what we have got ourselves in for on a planned +-15 hour ride?

This was our ride from last year, 13hrs moving time and some nice picnics at the checkpoints for a 15hr20 total Trans. Elevation definitely overstated, used a Garmin 310XT which is usually very accurate but think the difference came in when transferring to Strava.

Enjoy, doing my 6th this year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/181860033

I don't think by transferring the data would effect your elevation at all when doing so from your device over to Strava as Strava would then only use the data that you feed it, if you use only your phone to record to Strava that would give you a total different elevation, but so will most of the different devices as we all know.

Also if your looking for a ride on Strava click on:

Explore

Activity Search

Adjust the area (in this case: Willowmore, Western Cape, South Africa)

and in Keywords type in Transbaviaans

from here you can look at what time you want to finish and maybe on your map add the times for say every 50km's to see if your on track or falling behind.

Don't know, but Baviaans does not have over 4000m of climbing. Strange thing is the previous year I used the same device and I think the elevation was closer to 'correct', will have to check, but should be about 2600m.

Don't know, but Baviaans does not have over 4000m of climbing. Strange thing is the previous year I used the same device and I think the elevation was closer to 'correct', will have to check, but should be about 2600m.

Correct. 2600 is about right. Not even close to 3000

Archived