[Event] Unite4Mandela Ride 22Nov 67km 808vm R150k - Road Closure!

WesselvdWalt

Event Name: Unite4Mandela Ride 22Nov 67km 808vm R150k - Road Closure!
When: 22 November 2014
Where: Loftus versveld Stadium, Pretoria, Gauteng
Category: Road

In partnership with Cycling SA and Athletics SA, UNITE 2.0 proudly announces two new sporting codes as the focus for the 2014 Nelson Mandela Sport and Culture Day. The day’s sporting events will feature a cycling race, a road running race, a run/walk race, and a fun walk, which will precede a cultural program, that will include a music concert featuring SA’s icons in the entertainment sector, to be announced by the Minister of Arts and Culture earlyNovember.

“The Nelson Mandela Sport and Culture Day is designed to bring together South Africans from all walks of life, particularly this year in its 2nd year and as we celebrate 20 years of freedom and democracy. Almost 1 year ago, South Africans lined the streets of Tshwane, to say our final farewell. This year, on Nelson Mandela Sport & Culture day - were claim those very same streets to celebrate the life of this global icon.” says Fikile Mbalula, Minister of Sport and Recreation, South Africa.

In remembrance of the 67 years Mandela devoted to social activism the 67km cycling race will start at Loftus Versveld and finish at the Union Buildings, with the route passing by many historical landmarks and monuments.

There will be cash prizes for the top finishers for all events, with the winners (Men & Women) of the cycling road race receiving R150 000, whilst the charity of their choice receives R50 000.

Registration for all of these events is now open, and you can sign up online: www.unite4mandela.co.za

Registration Fees:

67km Cycle: R250

27km Run: R70

9.4km Run: R50

5km Fun Walk: R40

Route specifics:

Distance - 67 Kilometers

Ascent - 808m

Waterpoints - 4

Road Closure - The route has full road closure

For those of you who are wondering here is the final route. >>click here<< :clap: :w00t:

http://www.advendurance.com/images/forums/2014_unite4mandela_roadrace.png

Go to Event Page

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I want to know is how the hell are they going to do full road closure on that route???

Kinda busy roads...

They close some pretty big roads for the 94.7 too...  :whistling: 
It's by no means easy by it helps if it's a government initiative so Metro and the roads agency come in full force.

This could become a new annual event, Tshwane's very own mass cycling event. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

The cycling starts at 6am at Loftus, do we know yet how many groups there will be etc? I suspect parking Will be problematic, pity we can't take our bikes on the Gautrain :-(

I need clarity on where to collect our packs. Cycling SA says at Pilditch stadium but email said Cyclelab wed/Thur or Loftus on Friday?

The last race in Pretoria that was supposed to make use of union building was cancelled 2 days prior to the event, due to "security reasons"

was about 6 years or so ago

Lets hope this is will not be repeated again...

Heard the Minister of sport last night on Super cycling said they expect 25000 people. Pretty optimistic i think

I need clarity on where to collect our packs. Cycling SA says at Pilditch stadium but email said Cyclelab wed/Thur or Loftus on Friday?

There is normal batching for this race, AL starts at 6.40 you should have received an sms with collection details cyclelab Thursday and loftus fri

Any late entries allowed for this event?

Yes, I just called them now. Not on the day, either Thursday or Friday at Cyclelab etc.

Yes, I just called them now. Not on the day, either Thursday or Friday at Cyclelab etc.

Thanks. Now just to get myself motivated for those hills.

Archived