[Event] Unite4Mandela Ride 22Nov 67km 808vm R150k - Road Closure!

WesselvdWalt

Agree with Bateleur1 above.. A nice course but the marshaling/road closures left a bit to be desired...

First we were nearly hit by a car coming through Pretoria on the not-so-full-road-closure route and after summing Klapperkop ahead of the VA peloton but behind the Junior/VA breakaway, I took a wrong turn somewhere in Waterkloof where a Marshall was not a morning person and ended up enjoying a lovely 3km detour. A 60km individual time trail followed that...  :wacko:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved it. Having already done my fair share of road races this year (1) I decided to take the mtb to the streets. Got a free entry late last week. So, glad that I did as I really enjoyed the route. Finished in 2:19.

Saw a few close calls due to the not-so-full road closures. Other than that, organisation was spot on.

As an aside, my official time is again a minute or so off from my actual time... Although, this doesn't bug me so much this week.

This entire event was just awesome, from the start, the big names that were there, the route, the distance was short enough to make it even harder, the marshalling was good and the finish was incredible, Ive never seen such crowds at any race, most of the runners stopped and cheered as the riders came in..... the last time I saw and felt such unity amongst South Africans was during the Rugby and Football world cup! I am almost beginning to rank this event as one of my favorite. I think Tswane Gov did something really special and I think Fikile Mbalula is the best Minister of Sport ever..... he even entered! I really hope they do this again next year! A BIG thank you to everyone involved with the planning and organizing!

This entire event was just awesome, from the start, the big names that were there, the route, the distance was short enough to make it even harder, the marshalling was good and the finish was incredible, Ive never seen such crowds at any race, most of the runners stopped and cheered as the riders came in..... the last time I saw and felt such unity amongst South Africans was during the Rugby and Football world cup! I am almost beginning to rank this event as one of my favorite. I think Tswane Gov did something really special and I think Fikile Mbalula is the best Minister of Sport ever..... he even entered! I really hope they do this again next year! A BIG thank you to everyone involved with the planning and organizing!

jip, saw you were looked like you were a kid at a candy store at the finish

Awesome nation-building I read

Hope it's an annual festival

Must've been so cool to see some of the PROs

• 3 weeks later...

I

So was any of the pre entrants actually refunded Wessel?

I understand that the prize money has not being paid yet so how do you expect the refunds to happen.

Archived