Cyclists Attitude towards motorists CPT

TricycleRacer

Seriously? I dont follow the reasoning here? The more vehicle licences you pay, the closer you may ride the the centre of the road? Cant believe I had it wrong for so long, I should be riding on the white line in the middle.....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The law actually states that the cyclist must be as far to the left as safely possible. And it also says that NO ROAD user should be in the yellow lane.

As said when motorist want it to suit them - then cyclist MAY NOT be law abiding - that was my point of my initial post. Ever heard a motorist bitch about a cyclist riding inside the yellow line (illegal) go through a Red robot which has no physical effect on them why should they complain about that? Double standards by motorist when most of the time cyclist are just be considerate to motorist, the environment and finally to themselves!

OP says I dont pay a license so I ride for free - I pay more than enough license fees and taxes to use the roads just as much as any motprist - you seriously missed the ppint

Question. If cyclist doing speed limit and not impeding motorist, why do motorists act like chops and try pass cyclists?

Chappies for instance 40km/h speed limit bike doing 50km/h knob motorist wants to try squeeze past, must be doing 70km/h plus. Almost double speed limit. Just wait and do the speed limit. 100% of time you will get stopped at road block and have all the cyclists in front of you again.

Chappies from Noordhook has a 20km speed limit and a solid white line - their is absolutely ZERO chance of a motorist passing a cyclist at 1.5m without going over the solid white line and thus should not even try!

Chappies from Noordhook has a 20km speed limit and a solid white line - their is absolutely ZERO chance of a motorist passing a cyclist at 1.5m without going over the solid white line and thus should not even try!

Exactly my point, motorists are happy to break countless actual road laws in doing so, as it suits them otherwise it is an inconvenience to get where ever they are going on a Sunday morning.

Do you as a cyclist pay a yearly vehicle licence fee to ride your bicycle on the road? No you don't. You use the road for free. Motorcycles are allowed to lane split....however they do so at their own risk. 

Sorry but that stupid argument annoys me endlessly. The idea that cyclists have less rights because they don't pay license fees are downright dangerous because that means they can be perceived as "lesser" road users.

No road user's rights & responsibilities are linked to the amount they pay to use it, do trucks have more rights than regular cars because they pay more? Do Western Cape cars have more rights than Eastern Cape registered cars?

The license fee you pay are linked to the weight of your vehicle and is supposed to go towards the maintenance of the road - ie the wear and tear caused by your vehicle, that's all, nothing to do with your rights.

Since a bike weighs about 100 times less than your average sedan, that means a fair license fee for a bicycle would be about R2 a year. Which I would happily pay if it would put people off this silly but dangerous argument.

Sjo. You Capies should be the most chilled creatures in the country for the next year. You won the Curry Cup dammit!

Nah, not when you have chops driving around that does not know the RTA (or even bother to familiarise themselves with it) and that then comes and say we as cyclist's has no place on the road (because we do not pay License Fee's, etc)

IGNORANCE BOILS MY BLOOD. :cursing:

I love the old saying, "I do not suffer fools lightly"

OP says I dont pay a license so I ride for free - I pay more than enough license fees and taxes to use the roads just as much as any motprist - you seriously missed the ppint

You are paying to use your motor vehicle on the road. Just because you are paying your TV licence, it does not mean you may now use two-way radios as well.

Why should the license thing even be debated? If we were told we need to pay the license for the bicycle (like we did in the 80ies) I can assure I for one would.

This is the reason why we don't - the cost of a license is determined by the weight of the vehicle. The cost for a bicycle would be so low that the cost to collect this amount - would be more.

My suggestion would thus be that the Bicycle should be the starting point n weight and say be R100.00. So for each 10kg of vehicle you pay R100.00.  Then a normal car would be about R7500.00 and truck etc like R25000.00 This would make the road far more cycling friendly and hopefully "stop" the manufacturing motorized vehicles and reduce the traffic for all road users! Wow will motorist then stop complaining about us cyclist paying for a license or even hate us more?

Around around the merry go round we go... Again...

This is beginning to look like a 26" vs 29" vs 20" threads..

My age old seeing/belief is that if everyone respects each other the natural tendency will be that everyone gets along just fine and according to the "rules".

Just my meager input on this topic.

You seriously miss the point.  You pay a license fee for a particular vehicle. Having a license for a motorbike does not entitle you to drive a motor vehicle.  Stick to the rules of the road and keep left, not riding 2 abreast, and we might just see less aggravated drivers. And btw, having 5 motor vehicle licenses does not mean you may cycle like a chop

Out running yesterday morn from Hout Bay to Camps Bay, on the three occasions I had to get right off the road with oncoming cyclists who saw me but refused at all to share the yellow line, so there were 3 idiots out of the 500 odd that behaved well, but they spoiled it, they are just an embarrassing excuse.

Sad thing is I have ridden that road for 35 years and now it feels like I dont want to be associated with those folk.

Times they change.

Out running yesterday morn from Hout Bay to Camps Bay, on the three occasions I had to get right off the road with oncoming cyclists who saw me but refused at all to share the yellow line, so there were 3 idiots out of the 500 odd that behaved well, but they spoiled it, they are just an embarrassing excuse.

Sad thing is I have ridden that road for 35 years and now it feels like I dont want to be associated with those folk.

Times they change.

Interesting but if there is a pavement runners should not be on the road. Technically you could have been "breaking the law".

Not saying you were but just think about it.

Skubarra, licencing point was In reference to motorvehicles using the the main lanes allocated to them, and cyclists using the shoulder. Everyone has a right to be "on" the road, but the "where" is my point. Motor vehicles aee licenced to use the main lanes on our public roads...we can't argue that...cyclists are not allowed to use those same lanes...and we van argue that its because the one pays and the other doesn't. That however is not the main issue...and its sad that out of all positive points made...we pick on on that one. Not fighting, just saying everyone has their place on the road...be mindful of one another. The one doesn't have more rights than the other...but each has their place

Archived