Cyclists Attitude towards motorists CPT

TricycleRacer

Skubarra, licencing point was In reference to motorvehicles using the the main lanes allocated to them, and cyclists using the shoulder. Everyone has a right to be "on" the road, but the "where" is my point. Motor vehicles aee licenced to use the main lanes on our public roads...we can't argue that...cyclists are not allowed to use those same lanes...and we van argue that its because the one pays and the other doesn't. That however is not the main issue...and its sad that out of all positive points made...we pick on on that one. Not fighting, just saying everyone has their place on the road...be mindful of one another. The one doesn't have more rights than the other...but each has their place

The problem he has is you are wrong. The law states a cyclist must be in the same lane as cars and must be treated as a member of the traffic.

Motorists need to realise that they need to understand that they need to treat bikes as they would another car. And have to by law pass with a 1m space when safe to do so. There is no debate.

If it is an inconvenience, that is tough, that is the law.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has a right to be "on" the road, but the "where" is my point. Motor vehicles aee licenced to use the main lanes on our public roads...we can't argue that...cyclists are not allowed to use those same lanes...and we van argue that its because the one pays and the other doesn't. 

No Fabian, your license has NOTHING to do with what lanes you are allowed to use and what not.

Where on earth do you get the idea that cyclists are not allowed to use the same lanes as cars - please point me to that law???

You are continuing to perpetuate the sick & dangerous idea that cyclists are lesser road users that must stay out of the way of cars that pay to be there.

Wow - on the very same day that I read The Velominati's post on how awesome it is to ride bikes in Cape Town, from a foreigner's perspective:

Driving the spectacularly undulating, winding roads down to the Cape of Good Hope was a study in how to build the perfect road for Cycling. People here also don’t drive very fast, so the lack of a shoulder doesn’t even seem suicidal. Whats worse is the multitudes of skinny riders making excellent use of the riding bounties to be had.

Motorists - take a deep breath and relax. Cyclists, stop riding like w@nkers. A smile and a wave is often enough to diffuse most situations. We're all people/husbands/fathers that just want to get home safely.

Skubarra, licencing point was In reference to motorvehicles using the the main lanes allocated to them, and cyclists using the shoulder. Everyone has a right to be "on" the road, but the "where" is my point. Motor vehicles aee licenced to use the main lanes on our public roads...we can't argue that...cyclists are not allowed to use those same lanes...and we van argue that its because the one pays and the other doesn't. That however is not the main issue...and its sad that out of all positive points made...we pick on on that one. Not fighting, just saying everyone has their place on the road...be mindful of one another. The one doesn't have more rights than the other...but each has their place

Sorry but you are wrong. Cyclist has to be as far left as possible and safe. As close to the verge as possible. Not ONLY the verge.

We are allowed and required to sometimes use the same lanes like at intersections.

You seem to think the cyclist have a priviliage to use the road rather than a right

Let's drop the titles. I'm speaking from experiences as a cyclist, motorist and motorcyclist. As a cyclist whilst cycling on my own behind a group of guys I don't even know, are riding down the main road two and some three beside each other, up comes a car and a woman tells me to ride in single file.. Wtf I thought. As a motorist, if I see this same bunch I'd hoot way before the time to correct their behaviour whilst other motorists would slow down to hoot like mad and yell rather to slow down as a precaution. At the end of the day, it's all up to the individual on how to respond to the incident. Whoever is on the road, be it a cyclist or pedestrian, we have a responsibility and that's to consider each other.

I cant understand why you all arguing and making idiotic comments.

Bottom line to - if a car and bicycle collides its the bicycle thats gonna come off second best. So as cyclist you have to do whatever keep YOURSELF safe while you on the seat. Be it riding single file and as far left as possible - so be it.

Around around the merry go round we go... Again...

This is beginning to look like a 26" vs 29" vs 20" threads..

My age old seeing/belief is that if everyone respects each other the natural tendency will be that everyone gets along just fine and according to the "rules".

Just my meager input on this topic.

I have to admit, i read this tread from the start, and this is the first response that makes sense.

:thumbup:

Ek ondervind gereeld dat voetgangers en diegene wie draf aan die linkerkant van die pad op die gedeelte links van die geelstreep beweeg in die rigting van die aankomende verkeer en verseg om pad te gee wat meebring dat die fietsryer of skielik moet stop of die risiko moet neem om na regs van die geelstreep uit te swaai en homself in gevaar stel wat betref die verkeer van agter. 'n Ander probleem is glas bottels en ander voorwerpe wat aan die linkerkant van die geelstreep gestrooi le asook slaggate weens gebrekkige onderhoud aan paaie.  Die debat strek dus weier as net fietsryers vs motoriste.  Die antwoord is myns insiens bloot dat ondanks watter hoedanigheid jy die pad of soom van die pad gebruik jy dit sodanig moet gebruik dat jy die ander padgebruikers inagneem.  Selfsug is nie 'n goeie passasier nie.  Los selfsug by die huis wanneer jy die pad of soom van die pad gebruik.          

I cant understand why you all arguing and making idiotic comments.

Bottom line to - if a car and bicycle collides its the bicycle thats gonna come off second best. So as cyclist you have to do whatever keep YOURSELF safe while you on the seat. Be it riding single file and as far left as possible - so be it.

So what if I think skipping red lights is safer?

So what if I think skipping red lights is safer?

So what if every one think that they do not need to obey Trafiic Rules?  Do you think it would be safer? 

So what if every one think that they do not need to obey Trafiic Rules? Do you think it would be safer?

Rather than people randomly choosing which ones to follow?

Interesting but if there is a pavement runners should not be on the road. Technically you could have been "breaking the law".

Not saying you were but just think about it.

As you suggested, I thought about it.

After much thoughtful contemplation, I am of the opinion that perhaps I should not say anything further.

Thank you for your elucidating contribution nonetheless.

A cyclist is a legal entity on the road.

Also please go and read the Nat. Road Traffic Act of 1996 and inform yourselves.

New provincial by-laws also apply like the 1m space for motor vehicles passing bicycles ((which interestingly states that you may cross the solid white line to pass a bicycle ie. Chappies).

Archived