Brand ratings best to worse (Deore, SRAM, SLX, XT etc)

Trail Ninja

Cool thanks guys

Old MTBer, but has never really caught on to what is best in the component range, thas why I posted.

It may seem wierd to some, just though I would get your opinions

Would be upgrading my bike next year maybe, so need to consider the correct components or combinations

Ahh that makes sense. I still think unless anything changes very drastically soon, Shimano's XT transmission group with either SLX or XT brakes match will be the best performance value for money, with all SLX being the best value for money overall. (SRAM fans may disagree but have to agree on the value)

Cool thanks guys

Old MTBer, but has never really caught on to what is best in the component range, thas why I posted.

It may seem wierd to some, just though I would get your opinions

Would be upgrading my bike next year maybe, so need to consider the correct components or combinations

It's a very valid question.

Especially when looking at buying a brand new complete bike and wondeing which of the many options is better value for money. It helps to know that the although Brand S is more expensive, it comes with a pretty entry level drivetrain when compared to Brand Y

Ahh that makes sense. I still think unless anything changes very drastically soon, Shimano's XT transmission group with either SLX or XT brakes match will be the best performance value for money, with all SLX being the best value for money overall. (SRAM fans may disagree but have to agree on the value)

+1

If I was in the market for a group it would be

SLX brakes

SLX crank

XT Rear DR

XT front DR

XTR shifters

SLX Chain

SLX Cassette

SPD-540 pedals

All 10spd of course..

+1

If I was in the market for a group it would be

SLX brakes

SLX crank

XT Rear DR

XT front DR

XTR shifters

SLX Chain

SLX Cassette

SPD-540 pedals

All 10spd of course..

Yeah. Until I tried SRAM, I'd have been the same. BUT - my list would be

SLX crank

X9 RD

X9 shifters

SLX / PC 1070 chain

Deore cassette (11-36)

SRAM Guide / Trail brakes

Flats

Quite a few times already after guys find out I ride bicycles they ask me "what group set does your bicycle have"? (Even some here on the hub) As if 'the complete group set (from one make and model)' is what define of you are a serious rider or not.

So when I say "a mix match" some have replied "oh so your bike doesnt have good components" or they just tell me it is impossible as if I did not understand what they asked.

I have come across many riders now already that isn't aware that they can mix-match, for example they think if you have X0 cranks you must have X0 brakes (thus the whole drive train must be the same make and model).

Maybe the fact that I mix-match is what makes me slow...I better look into what is said above about 'the best group set', it might make me get more QOM's :ph34r:  ^_^

You say tomatoe I say tomato

Ascending

Electronic XTR

XX1

XTR 10sp

XTR 11spd

Alivio/X5 (either way entry level)

Deore

X01

X7

Saint / Zee

X0

XT 10 spd / X9

SLX 10 spd

BEST guide regarding value for money, including weight, cost and durability.

Yeah. Until I tried SRAM, I'd have been the same. BUT - my list would be

SLX crank

X9 RD

X9 shifters

SLX / PC 1070 chain

Deore cassette (11-36)

SRAM Guide / Trail brakes

Flats

Agree, except for shifter, the X0 shifter is better, IMHO of course, and  I run Crack Bros :blush:  :whistling:  pedals (mud issues), so I swop between flats and mallets, and SLX brakes.

@OP: There's this cool new thing that you can use to check this stuff out called internet

That's what he did!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can i run a shimano chain on a sram cassette, if both are 10 speed, because it seems i cannot get my gear tuning 100% perfect, neither can any bikeshop in cape town.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but can i run a shimano chain on a sram cassette, if both are 10 speed, because it seems i cannot get my gear tuning 100% perfect, neither can any bikeshop in cape town.

Yes you can. chains and casettes work fine as long as they are both 10 speed.

Archived