JHB to Vaal Malbank - Road Route

Rotiringer

Howdy

Anyone got a suggestions on a not so busy road route from JHB central to the Malbank area on the Vaal river. Looking at a map it seems there are many freeways but hard to see good alternate quieter routes.

Any pointers or suggestions would be great

easiest route would be on the R59s take the vanderbijlpark turn of (R42), go straight through town just past the Vaal mall turn left towards sasolburg (R57), take first offramp turn right on to Ravel road (stokkies draai) +- 10km turn left onto vaal river rd +- 1h15

Can you be a little more specific about Jhb Central... which suburb?

Here's a link to a Garmin course from Turffontein to Vaal River Dr.

83Km, 2:25 @ 25km/h - mostly flat/downhill

Note: No roads are safe (for a cyclist), but this route has lots of cyclists training on these roads.

Note: No roads are safe (for a cyclist), but this route has lots of cyclists training on these roads.

That would be a good route and one I have used down to the same area. Down Kliprivier, the steps, past the paper factory and on to Vereeniging. The route from there to Marlbank is exactly as on the attached map. The Marlbank turnoff is where GeraldM24's ride ends.

Is one allowed to ride a bicycle on the R59

This route runs along the R59, not on it.

An alternative way to V'town is taking the road to the west past Eikenhof and Walkerville

That would be a good route and one I have used down to the same area. Down Kliprivier, the steps, past the paper factory and on to Vereeniging. The route from there to Marlbank is exactly as on the attached map. The Marlbank turnoff is a km or two further along Ravel road.

This route runs along the R59, not on it.

An alternative way to V'town is taking the road to the west past Eikenhof and Walkerville

Very dodgy road, the R82.

I worked for 2 years close to Walkerville and travelled on the R82 often, to the Midvaal Council (Health Dept. in De Deur). Speed is the biggest problem by trucks/taxis travelling between Jhb and V-town.

Very dodgy road, the R82.

I worked for 2 years close to Walkerville and travelled on the R82 often, to the Midvaal Council (Health Dept. in De Deur). Speed is the biggest problem by trucks/taxis travelling between Jhb and V-town.

Good to know.

I traveled it a week or two ago on a Sunday morning and was impressed by the new section between Eikenhof and Walkerville. I Haven't cycled it for many years, as I typically use the same route you recommended.

I'll take your advice and not try it.

Good to know.

I traveled it a week or two ago on a Sunday morning and was impressed by the new section between Eikenhof and Walkerville. I Haven't cycled it for many years, as I typically use the same route you recommended.

I'll take your advice and not try it.

The new section you referred to is cool except for the construction that has been standing for sometime. Heard someone took the money and fled.

That section is used, often, by hundreds of cyclists - every week.

The Old V-town road is not safer than the R82, it just has less traffic. That's according to two traffic officials I got to know through my work colleagues at the time.

Thanks for this. I live in Atholl

Archived