Van Gaalens

garryjohnmitchell

Do agree, getting lost is part of the fun, plus exploring new safe routes.

That was the Sunday ride, was awaiting "the growling farmers" in the two places.. :ph34r:

All good

I'd like to know more about these "growling farmers"... where were they?

I'd like to chat to Erik about it.

He doesn't just plan the trails across properties without permission, so if some land owner is getting disgruntled with riders on his property I'd like to know why and hopefully try sort out the issue.

Most of the riders at VG are respectful and appreciate what's been made available to them.... HOWEVER there's never a shortage of chops who might to something to upset a land owner.

On Saturday I picked up a discarded bomb and some rider litter, could've been accidental, but something as "minor" as that could really annoy a land owner.

The signs I have seen have been very flimsy and not built to last, and I don't think its about theft as such, they just fall over and get blown away.

So maybe one day someone gets lost and is severely injured, or, goddesses forbid, dies. Then it will be argued in court that signage was neglected, and that will be the basis for a  phat lawsuit UNLESS a sign is explicitly displayed during sign-in that there is quite possibly no signage on the routes. If there are no or mising signs, the riders must be told and made aware of that in no uncertain terms.

You should also concern yourselves as to how trails are cut because its about sustainability. Sure you just ride them, but what about next year? your kids when they come of age?

I am of the opinion that the wires was not placed with intent to cause harm.

I managed to,spot the wires on both occasions well before attempting to nnavigate the bridges.

Perhaps an ignorant cattle herder.

I been riding at VG since 2009, it will always be my favorite venue to ride.  I stay 66km away but I just keep going back....why?....because it's just so so awesome!    The terrain is so varied and one can do proper distance without getting bored.  I was also new to the place and also got lost on numerous occasions but every moment was great fun, as I rode there more, I simply asked at the trail-head about the different routes or asked riders along the way.  

The signage will always be a huge problem unfortunately on such a large network of trails.  I would suggest using huge natural rocks that can't be moved and placing them at important junctions, they would kind of fit in with scenery.  The signage could be painted on them.   Perhaps even old concrete railway sleepers could be planted vertically and treated with paint as well. 

Haha perhaps the regulars who know the place well should form a VG guide group and take turns to host a guided ride at a very relaxed pace so people new to VG can be shown around a bit.  I think so many people get lost, get emotional and swear never to visit again which is a real shame.

I was there on Sunday too, and was also surprised about the wire across the bridges on Nguni, thanks to the person who placed rocks on the trail before, and on the bridges to serve as a warning otherwise it could've ended badly for some.

Look at how Hakahana has marked their trails - only ever got lost once as the river washed some poles away.  Other than clearly marked, every time. And also cheap, as its just reused materials

only took me one ride to learn the trails properly from someone who actually knows the trails.

this is by far the best way to get to know VG, and it has been said on this forum numerous numerous times.

Could think of worse places to get lost...

I have been using recycled old concrete water line markers or whatever these things are (as well as old curbing, anything metal ends up at the scrap yard and landowners don't want markers painted onto large rocks that cannot be turned over etc) but I do know that you can leave a marker in today, and its there tomorrow, all the way till next week then suddenly it ends up in the veld or just vanishes!  One of those mysteries of the 'berg.....!

post-12678-0-19677600-1415890094_thumb.jpg

I flippin love getting lost at VG.....some of my most memorable rides have been from unplanned exploring!

Always easy enough to make it back to the start.

One year I got lost loong story short, that river Is deeper and colder than it looks by the wall that crosses over the river, loved every min of it, the wives for us waiting not so much

• 4 months later...

Went there today, took my girlfriend along... Then

If you pay R50 you expect the trails to be marked. Or at least be able to discern which way it flows.

Cycled past two drunk farm workers/vagrants/things, really not comfortable.

Asked the one where the trail was.. He just stared at me... Not a word!

Did report it, they said they would investigate, I turned around 4km in and got my money back...

Very unpleasant for a first ride and def not worth it if you don't know the trails.

Won't see me again, there are far better places to ride in gauteng imho

So disappointed.

Perhaps a ride with someone who knows the trails again, but on my own.. Nah.. Not impressed. Very bitter taste in my mouth after today's experience.

There are trails with better signage, I don't dispute that, but not better trails.

"Better places to ride in Gauteng" is determined by personal preferences. some like rocky, some like smooth, some like easy, some like hard.. the awesome thing about VG is, it has something of EVERYTHING.

Rouxtjie had some nail on the head comments regarding the matter:- 

Not going to happen, the signage gets stolen / moved by people since a lot of it is in fact footpaths. Erik tries his best to maintain the signage but he is fighting a losing battle...

If you don't know van gaalens well, and don't like getting lost, don't go and ride there.

They maintain the trails...please note that they probably have the biggest network of trails in gauteng crossing many farms(we not talking northern farms here). Lots of river crossings and bridges crossing farms, nevermind cutting new trails the whole time.

To maintain the signage on that scale given that it uses lots and lots of footpaths where people vandalize and or move the signs will shoot the price of riding there up ten fold...you would need patrols and or permanent structures which will be harder to vandalize. R50 bucks is a bargain considering what you get.

Erik is playing the cards he is dealt...if you dont like the place / scared of getting lost(heaven forbid) don't ride there again, simple.

Went there today, took my girlfriend along... Then

If you pay R50 you expect the trails to be marked. Or at least be able to discern which way it flows.Did you not get a map?

Cycled past two drunk farm workers/vagrants/things, really not comfortable.Crossing over 40 different properties you're bound to encounter farm workers and things.....

in the 8 years I've been riding there I have never had an incident.

Also it's a long weekend, like many  this weekend, I'm sure enjoying a tipple or two or nine is part of their way of relaxing.
Asked the one where the trail was.. He just stared at me... Not a word!  Not really his  job to know, is it? 
Did report it, they said they would investigate, I turned around 4km in and got my money back... Glad you didn't pay for something you didn't get.

Very unpleasant for a first ride and def not worth it if you don't know the trails.

Won't see me again, there are far better places to ride in gauteng imho

So disappointed.
Perhaps a ride with someone who knows the trails again, but on my own.. Nah.. Not impressed. Very bitter taste in my mouth after today's experience. Very unfortunate you had that taste, all I get when I go are cavities from how sweet the trails are. But then again I know them, but then again I got to know them from getting lost numerous times and learning something new each time, I'm still learning.

Check out these links about the trails, perhaps arrange a ride with a group and get to see what you missed out on. don't write the place off based on one little incident.

https://www.facebook.com/VanGaalenMountainBikingTrails

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/99012-van-gaalens-trail-updates/

Archived