post your 1x10 conversions

BaGearA

Is it worthwhile flipping the front ring after a few 100 / 1000kms, to get a longer lifespan, or will it be necessary to change the chain as well?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting me thinks....gotta let us know if you find it nasty!!!!

Me thinks it will a bit if an adjustment seeing as I was use to a 2X10 with a Granny Gear. Lol.????

Me thinks it will a bit if an adjustment seeing as I was use to a 2X10 with a Granny Gear. Lol.????

It does take some getting used to but it makes you stronger and eventually you will be able to do everything you did before the conversion.

As mentioned, there is always the praxis cassette should you feel you need it.

Is it worthwhile flipping the front ring after a few 100 / 1000kms, to get a longer lifespan, or will it be necessary to change the chain as well?

You can definalty change the ring around for longer lifespan. Chain you will need measure for ware but you get good quality cheaper chains that is more economical to change than the front ring so getting more out of the ring will be better I think.

post-62168-1446213077,6704.jpgHad some free time at work and made my own narrow and wide chainrings. Integrated spacer and thread. Chainline is perfect and no need for longer bolts.

Just completed my conversion.

• Running a Fourier 42 tooth ( Alu frame and steel ring) Good value for money: R800, comes with longer B screw and 16 tooth sprocket.
  • 32 tooth Absolute Black oval chainring.
  • Found a Raceface Diabolus crank (was originally a 3x) A bit heavy but stiff as all hell.

The whole conversion took about 3 hours and is super smooth.

One thing I found out. The shops say you need a XT cassette as SLX will not work. This is not true. Simply tap the 3 pins out with a centre punch (from the front of the cassette and then pull out from the back.

post-71452-0-43133700-1446293105_thumb.jpgpost-71452-0-24280600-1446293153_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Busy with a new bike build, ja I know I know ....... 29r FS, both my other 1x10 bikes are HT's. Will be running normal front chainring with a chainguide and 11-36 cassette for a while probably as I am expecting the possibility of a 42/16/34nw combo from Santa .... I've dropped enough damn hints [emoji102]

With a long cage XTR 980 RD .... Hoping it will work out OK. Should have it up and running soon then will report back.

Busy with a new bike build, ja I know I know ....... 29r FS, both my other 1x10 bikes are HT's. Will be running normal front chainring with a chainguide and 11-36 cassette for a while probably as I am expecting the possibility of a 42/16/34nw combo from Santa .... I've dropped enough damn hints [emoji102]

With a long cage XTR 980 RD .... Hoping it will work out OK. Should have it up and running soon then will report back.

Is it the Cannondale Rush you're building up?

• 3 months later...

Absolutely loving this setup so far. 

Absolute Black 34T Oval, paired with a Praxis Works 11-40 Cassette

post-73436-0-22969400-1458108400_thumb.jpg

Archived