Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys! Any advice regarding Impact Low vs Freerider?

Can't comment on the impact low but the freeriders are really good.

Lots of grip, not too heavy and built decently tough (trapped my foot between my pedal and a tree stump rather hard yesterday - the shoe is fine and my foot survived somewhat better than it would have in normal running shoes).

I would recommend them.

I have the impact low's, they are great. Using them with Shimano Saints and yet to have a foot shift. Have to be sure where you place them on the pedal as you can't just slide it into a better position.

If I had one complaint, they do get quite warm at times.

Free riders + saints here. Great combo. When they were shiny new was even wearing them to work "breaking them in". Super comfy.

I have the impact low's, they are great. Using them with Shimano Saints and yet to have a foot shift. Have to be sure where you place them on the pedal as you can't just slide it into a better position.

If I had one complaint, they do get quite warm at times.

That is so true - you have to get a good feel for the correct foot position otherwise you find yourself faffing around a lot as you ride.

I already have the Saints now I need the fivetens... Seems like the freerider is the way to go. Is there a set import tax on shoes? In countless years of importing from CRC I have never paid the tax rate I was expecting to pay. It seems that Customs make it up on the spot.

That is so true - you have to get a good feel for the correct foot position otherwise you find yourself faffing around a lot as you ride.

Everybody believes you lose so much in not being able to pull up but it is minimal at the most.

I am a habitual cramper and being able to move my feet around to target different muscle groups has pulled me through many teeth clenching rides.

You also figure out how much platform must stick out where under the shoe, if you know what I mean........

I don't know if this is correct, but for climbs I put my toes in line with the front of the pedal, figures it gives me extra leverage through pedal stroke?) For descents I put my feet more squarely on the pedals, for stability.

But really its more of a comfort thing..

SO I am looking for a pair of Five Ten FreeRider VXi Elements AW14 in the grey blue colour. Who in South Africa can I try?

This. Also, their backup service is amazing. There was a manufacturer fault on my 5.10's, and I had my new pair within a few days.

Their service is good, but their 5-10's are extremely expensive in my opinion.  When I purchased my Freerider VXi's in 2013 from Mountain Mail Order, I paid R400 less than Diald's price at the time.

Mountain mail Order dont have anything.

Diald dont have what I want but I could possibly consider somthing else there

Everybody believes you lose so much in not being able to pull up but it is minimal at the most.

I am a habitual cramper and being able to move my feet around to target different muscle groups has pulled me through many teeth clenching rides.

You also figure out how much platform must stick out where under the shoe, if you know what I mean........

My annoyingly bent out of shape right foot is my problem, it's pig to position nicely. The left is fine but all the sports injuries on the right ankle and knee have left my foot slightly, erm, loose meaning I have to twist my knee in towards the bike to get the foot position correct. If I have to reposition it is a whole palava although every so often I get it right at the first try.