Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

So how much difference between impact low's and freeriders? I bought freeriders cause i preferred what they look like... any meaningful differences?

So what are the Freerider like and what type of riding have you been using them for? Not sure whether I should go for the free riders or low impacts

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are the Freerider like and what type of riding have you been using them for? Not sure whether I should go for the free riders or low impacts

FreeRiders are less bulky, and more acceptable as a normal shoe. I love mine

FreeRiders are less bulky, and more acceptable as a normal shoe. I love mine

Ok thanx. Not sure whether to go for the free riders or impact VXi's.

Ok thanx. Not sure whether to go for the free riders or impact VXi's.

the impacts are more robust, purpose built foot covers. more ankle support, more impact and abrasion resistant,and thus abit heavier than free riders. As myles correctly stated, the freeriders are a bit more casually fashionable than the Impacts.

My first set of 5.10s were the impacts. But 3 generations of Freeriders later, those impacts are glorified 5 yr old dust collectors.

So yes, the freeriders will serve you very very well in every department: aesthetics, grip, robustness (especially after they started stitching the sole to the uppers, which they didn't do in the 1st 2 generations of freerider. the sole was prone to pulling off the upper giving your shoe that tongue-out, hungry look)

Edited by Capricorn

In fact, looking on vital, the Impact VXi (366g for 1 size 9) is lighter than the Freerider Contact (385g for 1 size 9).

Plus the hydrophobic foam makes them brilliant for wet weather rides.

This. Forgot about them. 

Slightly more on topic... Just got the shipping notification from dialdbikes for my 5.10's! I flippen can't wait!

What 5.10's did you get and how have they been treating you?

What 5.10's did you get and how have they been treating you?

I got the impact low's. They are great shoes. Maybe a bit heavy for some, and not very waterproof (you can help this with scotchgard for leather).

Love them. The answer with 5.10's is more than one pair! One for each style of riding... [emoji16]