Long term review: Five Ten Impact Low

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw, but you get a very similar Giant contact pedal for like R350.

Just can't justify why the saint costs double!!

I'm a cheap-skate, sorry.......

Does the giant pedal have sealed bearings?

I have to say, I really think that Five Tens are awesome.  I do most of my trail riding and training on Saint flat pedals with 510 Freeride VXi.  

I only use spd's for races.  Fit them 3 weeks before an event, and change back to flats after the race.  

In my opinion my technique over technical trail obstacles have improved a lot since using flat pedals in my training and trail riding.

I saw, but you get a very similar Giant contact pedal for like R350.

Just can't justify why the saint costs double!!

I'm a cheap-skate, sorry.......

It's because they look so freaking hot!

The Five Ten Hellcat takes a cleat. Amazing! I have to get some.

There are other... lighter & better 5.10 options for those that like to be bolted to their bike...

Have a loook at the Maltese Falcon

http://www.nsmb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/five-ten-maltese-falcon-1.jpg

(Older version. I use have these. gathering dust in my cupboard :blush:. Also to be noted that Greg used these for his 2013 World Champs title, and not his signature "Minnaar" shoe. He now uses the Impact VXi Clipless. )

http://www.freeflowbikes.com/App/vShop/data/images/thumb/5151_MalteseFalconLTClipless_GreyRed_web_01.jpg

(Maltese Falcon LT. A bit too 'spaceman' for my liking)

and the ultimate FiveTen clipless shoe...

Impact VXi Clipless

http://fiveten.com/images/jreviews/14713_5141-impact-vxi-clipless-teamblack-01-web-1397771327.jpg

(Used extensively on the WC circuit, and not hard to see why. Light. Stiff. And the Mi6 rubber is grippy as hell)

I've had a pair of Spez BG Sports for 7 years, and had a pair of Answer Accelerators for 10 years before that, both without issue. 

Waiting for my 2FOs, they're definitely *much* prettier than the Impact Lows ;)

I've had a pair for 5 years. The sole needs to be glued but that's about it. I've done 4 Alps trips and countless build days in them too. Some riding too.

I've also got a pair of the new ones and they are lighter but also have questionable styling.

The funny thing is I think they actually get better as they get older. When they're brand new they are almost too grippy and you can't move your foot around on the pedal.

I actually rather like the styling of the Impact VXi's.

Light. Stiff. Grippy. Well thought out design when it comes to mud and water (and we know we both saw plenty of that in August). Each day after rides like this I was able to hose them out completely and they'd be dry enough to ride the next day. Yes, Impact VXi's dry that fast.

post-10758-0-37576200-1416486211_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-47465400-1416486384_thumb.jpg

By far the bext 5.10's I have owned (and I have 6 pairs).

But anyway, this topic is about Impact Lows... and I must say that were it not for my first pair of FiveTens (Sam Hill's, based on the Impact Low), I would never have known any better when it came to flat pedals, and probably would have been tricked by some <insert name of any big cycling chain with uninformed sales staff here> salesmen into buying "SIDI cleats, cos they're the best!"

Edited by patches

Anyone tried the Spez flat pedal shoes and how much they cost?

Haven't tried them, but the 2FO are R1700 at the Spez Concept stores. 

Marginally off topic, but the one "problem" I remember having the few times I ran with the flats is never quite being sure if my feet were in the "right" position. With so much science behind cleat positioning...... Is it all just bollocks? Is it just a feel thing on flats?

3 months vs 3 years plus...

Not really, I know of guys riding a few times a week with Vibram rubber soled shoes that have lasted well over a year and are still going strong.

Again I will repeat myself - I am not saying they are as good as or better than 5-10's but for someone on a budget that does not allow an initial purchase of R1700 plus they are a good alternative.

Marginally off topic, but the one "problem" I remember having the few times I ran with the flats is never quite being sure if my feet were in the "right" position. With so much science behind cleat positioning...... Is it all just bollocks? Is it just a feel thing on flats?

It's all bollocks. Whatever works for you.

Edit: as long as you can get your heels down when the going gets steep and you need to brake, you're fine.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

It's all bollocks. Whatever works for you.

Edit: as long as you can get your heels down when the going gets steep and you need to brake, you're fine.

I can vouch for that given that, thanks to a few too many injuries, my right foot points out rather than forward. And yes I do look a bit like you would imagine Penguin from Gotham riding a bike.

Anyone tried the Spez flat pedal shoes and how much they cost?

R1700 at Westrand cycles. I have not tried them tho.

Edit: Sorry I did not see the other post.

Edited by Pieter1

I also find that moving my feet around to compensate for sore muscles help.

e.g: pedalling with the axle further back takes the strain off of your calves, etc

Ppsitioning isn't an issue, you quickly figure out how it should or shouldn't look from above