Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've a GT-R Type CX for quite some time now, really like the concept. I mainly use it on the road, it's got some Kenda Kwick Tendril 35's on. I will definitely go the same route again if I'm buying a "road bike". 

photo%202015-02-24%2C%2023%2015%2032.jpg

Okay... I bought Nerd's orange Cotic with the black fork.

I am looking at wheels as I will start collecting parts soon. What do you guys think of these: http://www.buycycle.co.za/en/components/road-en-2/wheelsets-en-2/american-classic-road-wheels/american-classic-victory-30-tubeless-clincher-wheelset.html

American Classic Victory 30 Tubeless Clincher Wheelset

A proven product in the AC line, the deep section Victory 30 wheels allow every rider to have the opportunity to ride American Classic. They are an ideal balance between strength, weight, and performance. Aerodynamic features include the 30mm deep rim, bladed spokes and low spoke count. A very good choice for large riders.

Machined braking surface with no hidden nipples or unusual spokes. Reliable, fast and smooth. Newly improved sturdier hubs and bearings for increased durability. Modern new graphics and all the AC technology are an excellent value at a mid range price point.

Specifications:

• RIMS: Hurricane Tubeless 400gr Aluminum Clincher Rim Brake Rims 700c
  • SPOKES:  AC Bladed Spokes Black
  • NIPPLES:  AC Aluminum Nipples Silver 18h Radial Front, 24h 3-Cross Rear
  • DISCIPLINE:  Road / Trekking / Triathlon / Cyclocross
  • WEIGHT:  Front 676 gr  Rear 916 gr  Pair 1592 gr
  • HUBS:  Front Victory 100mm  Rear Victory 130mm - Victory hubs feature stainless steel bearings and rear hubs are Shimano/SRAM 9-11 speed compatible
  • REAR SPLINE:  Shimano/SRAM 9/10
  • LOOK & COLOR:  AC Road Wave Black
  • Available freehub: Please specify, if needed for Campag body, when ordering.
  • Rider Weight limit: 118kg

And thoughts on changing from a steel fork to a carbon fork? Where could I source a nice carbon fork from? I want to keep the canti's though...

And thoughts on changing from a steel fork to a carbon fork? Where could I source a nice carbon fork from? I want to keep the canti's though...

Speak to RyanPmb :thumbup:

Okay... I bought Nerd's orange Cotic with the black fork.

I am looking at wheels as I will start collecting parts soon. What do you guys think of these: http://www.buycycle.co.za/en/components/road-en-2/wheelsets-en-2/american-classic-road-wheels/american-classic-victory-30-tubeless-clincher-wheelset.html

American Classic Victory 30 Tubeless Clincher Wheelset

A proven product in the AC line, the deep section Victory 30 wheels allow every rider to have the opportunity to ride American Classic. They are an ideal balance between strength, weight, and performance. Aerodynamic features include the 30mm deep rim, bladed spokes and low spoke count. A very good choice for large riders.

Machined braking surface with no hidden nipples or unusual spokes. Reliable, fast and smooth. Newly improved sturdier hubs and bearings for increased durability. Modern new graphics and all the AC technology are an excellent value at a mid range price point.

Specifications:

• RIMS: Hurricane Tubeless 400gr Aluminum Clincher Rim Brake Rims 700c
  • SPOKES:  AC Bladed Spokes Black
  • NIPPLES:  AC Aluminum Nipples Silver 18h Radial Front, 24h 3-Cross Rear
  • DISCIPLINE:  Road / Trekking / Triathlon / Cyclocross
  • WEIGHT:  Front 676 gr  Rear 916 gr  Pair 1592 gr
  • HUBS:  Front Victory 100mm  Rear Victory 130mm - Victory hubs feature stainless steel bearings and rear hubs are Shimano/SRAM 9-11 speed compatible
  • REAR SPLINE:  Shimano/SRAM 9/10
  • LOOK & COLOR:  AC Road Wave Black
  • Available freehub: Please specify, if needed for Campag body, when ordering.
  • Rider Weight limit: 118kg

Pictures?

Thanks chaps. I am very keen to see her. Thanks to Nerd for being so accommodating with all of my questions. And thanks to Ryan for helping me get it to Durban (and I am sure for a lot of advice to come).

I don't have much cash at the moment so the build will be a slow one. I love my research so will be looking at where I can get my best bang for my buck (105 v Ultegra for example! Is the R2500 extra really worth it?).

I am liking those AC wheels more and more.

Edited by Monark

Thanks chaps. I am very keen to see her. Thanks to Nerd for being so accommodating with all of my questions. And thanks to Ryan for helping me get it to Durban (and I am sure for a lot of advice to come).

I don't have much cash at the moment so the build will be a slow one. I love my research so will be looking at where I can get my best bang for my buck (105 v Ultegra for example! Is the R2500 extra really worth it?).

I've got that 105 with your name on it [emoji6]

Thanks chaps. I am very keen to see her. Thanks to Nerd for being so accommodating with all of my questions. And thanks to Ryan for helping me get it to Durban (and I am sure for a lot of advice to come).

I've got that 105 with your name on it [emoji6]

And I'm already bringing a frame down that HAS got your name on it. I'm sure a groupset could fit too... #justsaying

And I'm already bringing a frame down that HAS got your name on it. I'm sure a groupset could fit too... #justsaying

You had better have a trailer if you're bringing mine down as well.... :thumbup:  :thumbup:

You had better have a trailer if you're bringing mine down as well.... :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Just might not fit the thumbie brackets LOL...